Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

Looks like we all stopped to talk about Garcon.  The dude is tough as nails, major mistake we let him go.  I understand he cost SF a lot but we didn't even give him the respect to start negotiating with him during the season last year.  Major mistake by Allen, especially since Doctson was hurt and was going to be essentially a rookie this season..  

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

3 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Looks like we all stopped to talk about Garcon.  The dude is tough as nails, major mistake we let him go.  I understand he cost SF a lot but we didn't even give him the respect to start negotiating with him during the season last year.  Major mistake by Allen, especially since Doctson was hurt and was going to be essentially a rookie this season..  

The Skins would have been foolish to pay  Pierre Garcon who is a 32 year old WR the contract he wanted. Letting him go was the right move.

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I like Garcon but for a WR of his age and skill set he wasn't worth the money.

Wasn't worth the money?  We got a lot of guys on the board who are skinflints with Dan Snyder's money.  That kind of thinking got us a receiving corps that looks pitiful at the moment:

1.  Doctson can't get open or keep himself healthy.  Too early to use the B word with him but I don't know if he'll be a contributor in 2018 or ever.  Big question mark.

2.  Pryor is clearly a project and I don't understand how he got 1,000 yards in Cleveland

3.  Reed is hurt, so is Crowder

4.  Have the other new guys done something?  Not enough for me to remember

5.  Grant is the main guy right now, how did it come to this?

Wasn't worth spending the money to keep Garcon?  I'd love to have him helping Cousins keep us above water until Pryor and Doctson really start to perform.  Major screw up by Allen/Snyder.

57 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

1.  Doctson can't get open or keep himself healthy.  Too early to use the B word with him but I don't know if he'll be a contributor in 2018 or ever. -Played numerous snaps past two weeks. 1 target.  Blocked well & was open.  Can send video if you like. His under-usage is on Gruden or Captain Kirk

2.  Pryor is clearly a project and I don't understand how he got 1,000 yards in Cleveland.  REALLY good question...hmmmm....QB?  System?  I dunno

3.  Reed is hurt, so is Crowder.  They are, which makes Doctson's uninvolvement all the more befuddling. 

4.  Have the other new guys done something?  Not enough for me to remember Grant has peformed well.  Caught the game winner.  Do not understand why you & others so casually overlook him.  MUCH better than you think.  Eventually you may see.  

5.  Grant is the main guy right now, how did it come to this?  Injurys, adjustments to new receivers, trust (big in someones eye, and I know not who)

We will get better, it's a repetition thing and getting used to each other.  Let's see what happens.  There are very good receivers here...that have to be used, used properly, and make catches (looking at you Pryor:)).

Wasn't worth spending the money to keep Garcon?  I'd love to have him helping Cousins keep us above water until Pryor and Doctson really start to perform.  Major screw up by Allen/Snyder. We'll see.  Garcon got a good chunk, for an old receiver.  Good for him as I liked him.  Want to get younger Oldschool.  It will serve us better, if we can to use the weapons we already have effectively.

33 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Wasn't worth the money?  We got a lot of guys on the board who are skinflints with Dan Snyder's money.  That kind of thinking got us a receiving corps that looks pitiful at the moment:

1.  Doctson can't get open or keep himself healthy.  Too early to use the B word with him but I don't know if he'll be a contributor in 2018 or ever.  Big question mark.

2.  Pryor is clearly a project and I don't understand how he got 1,000 yards in Cleveland

3.  Reed is hurt, so is Crowder

4.  Have the other new guys done something?  Not enough for me to remember

5.  Grant is the main guy right now, how did it come to this?

Wasn't worth spending the money to keep Garcon?  I'd love to have him helping Cousins keep us above water until Pryor and Doctson really start to perform.  Major screw up by Allen/Snyder.

1.  Doctson was open constantly vs the Rams.  Cooley broke it down and said that he'd have had 125+ and a TD or 2 if Cousins would have looked him up.  He's a running good routes and getting open.  Though he's had injuries that have kept him out, he was the best looking WR in OTAs and camp, by far from everyone's evaluations.  He gets a hammy and can't practice at the season startup ( just like more then a few wideouts), but he's working through it.  Year 2 but a full time rookie...it's common knowledge that WRs typically don't breakout until year 3==> http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/2017/3rd-year-wide-receivers.cfm 

Theres nothing to indicate he's a bust past the media needing something to make some news about. The fact that Gruden and Co. decided to go with a rookie to replace Garçon or DJax means they have confidence he's capable of surpassing the norm for NFL WR progression. 

2.  Watch Pryors tape from last year and look at the stats.  He was getting target after target. He will excel rapidly with more targets. It's pretty obvious that Pryor/Cousin combo hasn't been comfortable the first 2 weeks.  That's as much Cousins playing without accuracy and confidence as it is Pryor dropping some passes he normally catches when he's in sync.  He is set to breakout and Gruden/Cousins/Pryor all know it.  This week will be better (just as most of the experts have anticipated). 

3.  Reeds always hurt, what's new.  He's going to play and is coming off a good game.  Crowder got hurt Philly and he's playing too. What's your point?

4.  The other guys....yeah, Grant had the winning TD last week. Cousins typically has played better in week 3 the last two years. He's got plenty of options to spread the ball around once he settles.  V.Davis and Chris Thompson are both dependable. Nobody's really worried about it as they're seeing this trend and expect that the OL and the passing game will improve from week to week. So, expectations are for week 3 to see the passing game take a step. 

5.  What??? Ryan Grant is in his 4th year and has been a humble teammate.  Been buried on the depth chart and only started 5 games in his career to fill in.  He's got 484 yards and 3 TDs. He's played every game the last 3-yrs.  He's doing exactly what he's been asked to do and there to do every time they need him.  Seeing him as a nice veteran backup who can run all the routes. 

No, you don't sign Garçon to a 47M 5- yr contract with 12M signing bonus at age 32.  He's tough and consistent possession receiver that got a longer more lucrative deal then anyone else was going to pay him because Kyle knows him and will help a mediocre QB look ok.  He probably won't be around to finish that contract. 

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

No, it would have been foolish to pay Pierre Garcon a 32 year old WR the contract the 49ers gave him. They are going to regret signing him,when he starts to complain about Brian Hoyer and ask for a trade.

I think part of the reason the 49ers paid Garcon what they did is because he is a good security blanket WR for a young QB.   Every young QB is lucky to have a WR like Garcon that is reliable, makes the tough catches, goes over the middle, but also can stretch the field from time to time.  The 49ers are contending for the superbowl any time soon, Garcon's contract isn't going to hamper that franchise once they need the money freed up to take the next step.  Garcon to the 49ers was just a matter of being the right signing for the right team at the right time. 

I know it was just one paly, but the Doctson TD is why many people were salivating over him before last years draft. He has great leaping ability,. strong hands, and a killed instinct when the ball is in the air.

I like them easing him into things. He has a chance to be really special. Glad to see him have some success.

I am not worried about Pryor. Last year they were playing backyard ball in Clev mostly. I believe he was living off his athleticism. They are asking him to learn to be WR for real now. I see signs of him getting better each game. Also, let's not over look that he, Crowder, and Doctson helped Thompson have a lot of open space. I was very surprised they didn't start keying on Thompson and make us beat them with someone else. Glad they didn't. But if that were the Skins we would be really pissed today that there were no adjustments.

Let's see what they can do against KC. That will be a huge test. 3-1 into the bye would be incredible, especially since many were certain we had an excellent chance of being 0-4 at the bye - and I was definitely one of them. They had me really worried.

I had been dogging Kirk lately, wanting him to do more what he did yesterday.  Make his deep throws catchable, yes if even at the risk of an INT.  At the benefit of a potential TD or PI.  If it's an INT, it is usually down by contact and is basically a punt in terms of field position. It's not as bad a throw when you have a viable D. I am still laughing at Josh slow strutting into the end zone, enjoying his big moment. Warding off the defender.

Seeing Doctson step up and make that play changes everything for the Skins receiving group. Kirk is gonna feel confidence wherever he throws the ball and not rely so much on Reed once he comes back. Crowder is very tough to cover, Grant is sure handed and steady, and Pryor/Doctson are big, fast and physical. We cause matchup problems for opponents......and I didn't even mention Thompson. Wow.

Is it just me or does it seem that Kirk is only throwing to guys he used to throw to last year?  It's almost like he's avoid Doctson and Pryor for the most part.  It's hard to tell if either of them are getting open from watching TV, but at some point you gotta expect teams to key on CT and force him to throw to our Pryor and Doctson.  Slowly losing faith in Pryor, very concerning.

Pryor runs routes to the middle of the field as if hes tracing a 3 point line.  Not good enough to win very often.  He will be able to make plays boxing out with his frame but won't win on a route until these get better.  Eventually teams will key on what we're doing thus far and we'll be forced to look his way more often.

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It's almost like he's avoid Doctson and Pryor for the most part.  

Little work with doctson and enough with Pryor to see he can't catch

I'd avoid them too.

Time (and health) will fix doctson. We'll see about Pryor 

Archived