Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

10 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Elephant in the room... Crowder thus far, this season, has not be capable of being relied on in the PR duties... He's been sure handed before this right?  Or am I wrong?  

His rep coming out of college was as a stud PR with very sure hands.  Ya gotta bench him if he puts it on the ground again.

The elephant in the room to me is that Crowder has now had eight consecutive quiet games.  It looks like his best spot is the slot.  I for one was not thrilled with him being our number two   Yeah I know he posted sick numbers @#2 in limited looks but if it ain't broke don't fix it was my thinking. It looks like Jay manages his targets to not overload him, but then why is he doing returns? I almost expect change @PR out of the bye week…

Jay needs to find plays that work for Terrell and Kirk, and not call routes that TP does not run well. KISS.

It's not unexpected that Kirk will have a comfort zone with receivers from last year this early in the season. He should be a little better later in the year but before you know it half the season will be over and CT and Grant will be our most consistent targets. Vernon Davis may have to save the day as Reed is fighting 2 injuries and is already missing games.

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Pryor runs routes to the middle of the field as if hes tracing a 3 point line.  Not good enough to win very often.  He will be able to make plays boxing out with his frame but won't win on a route until these get better.  Eventually teams will key on what we're doing thus far and we'll be forced to look his way more often.

Word-for-word what I was telling my pops last night.  He's rounding-off routes and still not using his massive frame to box guys out.

I still love his ceiling though and hope we can re-sign him to an affordable LT deal at the end of the season.

Pryor is obviously still learning the craft of being a WR.  He's only been doing it one season.  His numbers in Cleveland were likely inflated because he was targeted so much.

It's an entirely different situation when you play in Cleveland, in no-man's land.  It's quite another when you are on a team trying to make moves and are being relied upon to run specific routes crisp and clean in order to create separation.  We've seen what the guy can do when the ball is in his hands. There's no question about that, however he needs to get better at all the stuff that takes place before the ball comes to him.  Compare that to Doctson.....dude has barely practiced and/or played in the NFL at all, but Cousins felt good enough to throw essentially a jump ball to him, and it turned into a TD.  With Pryor's size/speed/strength, he should be able to do the same things, but I am not sure if Cousins trusts him to do it yet

There is a reason he was only signed to a 1 year contract.

Receivers only, we're looking a little rough.  Doctson getting open last week and his catch Sunday gave me a little optimism.  

The good news news is that I expect (for different reasons) Pryor, Doctson and Crowder to get better as the season goes on.  

If you include our other pass catchers - Thompson, Reed and Davis - I'd say  we've got a decent group.  And it's a group that can/should get better.  

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

It was nice to see Doctson make a play but Doctson and Pryor don't come close to replacing Jackson and Garçon.  VD and CT had huge nights but the Receiving corps is a project not a strong unit.

This is a serious over simplification. There is more to WR than making highlight reel catches - which BTW Doctson did tonight even if it was his only catch. The reason CT and VD were so open is the backfield of Oak had to account for our WRs. Pryor especially gets a lot of attention. People saw from last year what he can do if left open. Kirk did a great job making them pay. But that does not diminish the impact of those players or their worth or value as WRs. I also saw many plays where Pryor and VD were blocking way down field during those runs by catch and runs by CT.

I would agree they may be a project right now, But to declare them not a strong unit is a bit too quick and ignores some of their less spectacular contributions. VD and CT do not have big games without the WRs doing their jobs.

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I would agree they may be a project right now, But to declare them not a strong unit is a bit too quick and ignores some of their less spectacular contributions. VD and CT do not have big games without the WRs doing their jobs.

I think by definition if a unit is a project it isn't a strong unit.  I am expecting improvement as Pryor improves his route running and Doctson's health improves, they really need to improve.

Terrelle Pryor as of this moment is a disappointment. He's supposed to be our number 1 receiver, which I think of as a go-to-guy. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that, but you don't bill a guy as number 1 if he isn't supposed to be your best.

My unrefined eye sees Josh Doctson as putting up roughly the same successes and failures as Pryor. Sometimes he's making good catches, sometimes he's not. I'll cut him slack though, as he's not our number 1, and he was injured all of last season. The dropped TD hurts, it hurts bad. But I won't trash him yet. It was, what, his first drop of the game? First that I remember anyway. Costly mistake, but such is the life of a receiver with so few reps.

Jamison Crowder is so-so. Certainly invisible this season.

Lovin me some Verrrrrrrrrny Davis though. Where did he and Thompson go tonight? He gift wrapped our last TD and was gone for the rest of the game.

7 hours ago, rdskn4eva said:

Crowder was great when teams are covering garçon, Jackson and reed. 

Teams can can focus more on crowder and he's not as good.

Do you actually think teams are game-planning around Crowder?

The actual problem is that we are not game-planning FOR Crowder.  He is the closest thing we have to Santana Moss right now--- definitely not in pure speed or even game-breaking ability-- but in the way that he is smart enough to find open space and get open.  We finally have BIG/TALL receivers (who can't catch) and are for some reason ignoring the guy who should be our safety valve on every play.

On 9/26/2017 at 12:52 AM, Veryoldschool said:

It was nice to see Doctson make a play but Doctson and Pryor don't come close to replacing Jackson and Garçon.  VD and CT had huge nights but the Receiving corps is a project not a strong unit.

To be fair, between the two of them, they've

barely played WR at this level.  Garcon and Jackson have 266 games of experience, Doctson and Pryor have 29, and Doctson barely was on the field for most of those.  

If we were a young rebuilding team, it might be more palatable watching them learn the ropes.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If we were a young rebuilding team, it might be more palatable watching them learn the ropes.

But we're not, so...

I can actually live with Doctson learning on the job, but Pryor's inability to run a crisp route and most importantly, stone hands and alligator arms are maddening to say the least.  He looks great in practice with the one handed catches when he can't get hit, but looks like a former QB trying to be a wide receiver when the bullets are flying.

2 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

That's why the Pryor deal sucks, we are basically paying him to learn the position. Doubt we will get a discount on a long term deal either if he turns out great.

But it's also why he is on a one year deal, he was raw with plenty of upside last year & a selection of ropey QBs. I don't fancy how Pryor is panning out but I can understand the deal

Pryor, as a wide receiver he is a very good college QB. You don't spend, what, $8 Million on someone that is playing WR like a college sophomore! They should have never let Garcon go. BIG MISTAKE, and it will show because this season will be wasted. 

Doctson? He is just soft like so many of the other young players. Jordan Reed is a waste of space, always hurt, doesn't practice, cannot block and now doesn't seem to be able to catch the ball. Give me Vernon Davis any day and twice on Sundays.

Three drives end when they had third and short with a bad pass and two dropped passes. And don't forget the dropped pass that could have been the winning touchdown!

WR is totally by committee now. A fantasy nightmare.

Yeah I know that is supposed to be harder to defend, but I also feel like then no one steps up, no one is challenged, and so we remain in mediocrity. When we are at home watching on TV and the ball is in their air, we literally have no idea who it is going to.

Jay should be able to find a matchup that is working, and then exploit it. Coaches want rhythm but think it is harder to attain when there is no go to play, no go to guy. Defenders need to be set up to be fully exploited. I feel like the deep ball to Pryor was a good starting point. Call the same route, short. Or keep trying it until they can stop it. Work a guy underneath, and then pump and go over the top on him. Stuff like that. Bah what do I know, as Kirk posts monster QB ratings.

But DCs know that once Grant or Doctson gets their 2 targets a game, they don't have to worry about them again. 

We don't have a go to guy. Ok it's Grant as much as anyone. There, I said it. Are you happy now? I am not. Quick, what do you try next?  Crowder is my candidate to get a game plan built around in week 6.

Archived