Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

2 hours ago, ksun247 said:

Whatever happened to free agent WR  Quick? Is he still on the roster? Is he hurt? 

He was inactive this game... though I'm very surprised that we only carried five to begin with and then didn't dress the 5th.  

Happy to see Pryor get his TD, but I'm still thinking he's closer to being a liability than an asset for us.  I thought he was a great signing though, so I can't badmouth the FO for it.  

I think Kirk could stand to take a smudge off the ball on slants and other shorter routes.  He steps into it and lasers it in there.  That's great for outbreaking routes, but you're stressing your pass catchers a bit in the short middle...

Bullock saying what I think regarding Doctson:

Doctson is capable of doing the "hard part" with comparative ease.  Some work still to go, but he physically can do some great things that guys of lesser builds can't, and moreover, has done them twice in two games.  Not a "can do in practice but not in game" guy.  Can fulfill practice potential in game situations.

Doctson is the main reason I'm optimistic on the whole.  Crowder is good, Reed is good.  Pryor will probably come along as he continues growing in the WR role.  If Doctson can get or almost get a TD like the last two weeks every week on top of them, I think we'll be in decent shape.

6 hours ago, pappy1271 said:

Pryor, as a wide receiver he is a very good college QB. You don't spend, what, $8 Million on someone that is playing WR like a college sophomore! They should have never let Garcon go. BIG MISTAKE, and it will show because this season will be wasted. 

Doctson? He is just soft like so many of the other young players. Jordan Reed is a waste of space, always hurt, doesn't practice, cannot block and now doesn't seem to be able to catch the ball. Give me Vernon Davis any day and twice on Sundays.

Three drives end when they had third and short with a bad pass and two dropped passes. And don't forget the dropped pass that could have been the winning touchdown!

Nothing is worse than this kind of hindsight trashing. I don't know you, but I'm sure you were pumped about the Pryor signing; 100% of this board was for it. We were much more split on letting Garcon go, but the fact that he got a 5-yr $50M deal as a 31 y/o WR, the majority thought it was correct to let him walk. The bottom line is that we'll be strapped for cash if/when we sign Cousins and you can't have a fading WR taking up that kind of cap space over the next few years. 

That was just in response to your first paragraph. After reading the rest, I now realize you're just trolling. Pipe down. 

People need to relax on Pryor. There is a reason the front office signed him only to a 1 year deal, because he is a work in progress. They want to see if he cant turn his athletic gifts into something special.  It's not like they locked him up for 4-5 seasons not knowing the answer.

My best guess is that Doctson is going to be worked more and more into the game plans, likely as the #1 WR sooner than later, and you will see Pryor's role switched.  In fact I might even suggest it would have happened already if Doctson hadn't spent most of the offseason and preseason still nursing his way back from injuries in order to get on the field by the start of the season.

We can already clearly see Doctson's skill level out there. Far & away the best WR talent this franchise has had since........Michael Westbrook (before his meltdown)

43 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I don't know you, but I'm sure you were pumped about the Pryor signing; 100% of this board was for it.

We were 100% for it because by that stage of free agency, if we didn't sign him we'd have a gimpy Josh Doctson and Ryan "Practice Ninja" Grant as our starters, with Jamison Crowder in the slot. Throughout last season, I never day-dreamed about how awesome it would be if we dropped off Garcon in exchange for Pryor.

14 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

People need to relax on Pryor. There is a reason the front office signed him only to a 1 year deal, because he is a work in progress.meltdown)

Not necessarily true.  Is Zach Brown a work in progress?  For whatever reason players are looking to sign one year deals these days.  Pryor was signed because the FO thought he could be a #1 receiver, or close to it. 

16 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

People need to relax on Pryor. There is a reason the front office signed him only to a 1 year deal, because he is a work in progress. They want to see if he cant turn his athletic gifts into something special.  It's not like they locked him up for 4-5 seasons not knowing the answer.

My best guess is that Doctson is going to be worked more and more into the game plans, likely as the #1 WR sooner than later, and you will see Pryor's role switched.  In fact I might even suggest it would have happened already if Doctson hadn't spent most of the offseason and preseason still nursing his way back from injuries in order to get on the field by the start of the season.

We can already clearly see Doctson's skill level out there. Far & away the best WR talent this franchise has had since........Michael Westbrook (before his meltdown)

I dont think we have a #1.  Kirk is barely throwing to Pryor, so he isnt it.  I think we simply dont have one.  I'm not sure how soon it'll be where Doctson is a guy that runs every route and that you look for in every situation like a #1. Probably wont be this season. 

I am now starting to think Jay doesn't try to feature Doctson at all, for fear of him getting injured.

In the middle of the second half Monday night, was that Josh laying on the sideline getting worked on? Feet were pointed towards the sideline, about 5 yards out of bounds.

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am now starting to think Jay doesn't try to feature Doctson at all, for fear of him getting injured.

In the middle of the second half Monday night, was that Josh laying on the sideline getting worked on? Feet were pointed towards the sideline, about 5 yards out of bounds.

That was him but he had laid out and sacrificed his body to make a nice catch right before that. The catch didn't fit the narrative that he is 'soft'. 

Getting worse by the week. I feel like these guys will eventually get it going and some people will say "SEE I TOLD YOU", but come on if we're being honest the guys have been a disaster. Pryor sucks. Doctson sucks, Crowder sucks. The only one who has played beyond their abilities/expectations is Grant. That's just ****ing sad.

2 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

That was him but he had laid out and sacrificed his body to make a nice catch right before that. The catch didn't fit the narrative that he is 'soft'. 

Thanks. Did you see what caused that injury? Maybe it was a cramp. There were so many injuries, it's all a big blur right now.  That was just an odd place to see a player getting worked on, short of getting tackled right there (which I don't recall).

I did see this on ESPN

Head coach Jay Gruden said Tuesday that Doctson strained his shoulder. Doctson picked up the injury on his diving attempt at a catch in the end zone just before the Redskins knotted up the score at 20-20 with a field goal in the final minute of the game.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Thanks. Did you see what caused that injury? Maybe it was a cramp. There were so many injuries, it's all a big blur right now.  That was just an odd place to see a player getting worked on, short of getting tackled right there (which I don't recall).

I did see this on ESPN

Head coach Jay Gruden said Tuesday that Doctson strained his shoulder. Doctson picked up the injury on his diving attempt at a catch in the end zone just before the Redskins knotted up the score at 20-20 with a field goal in the final minute of the game.

Not sure exactly what happened. This play was mid game like you had mentioned The ball was thrown low and in front of Doc and he dove and got it.  He did not get right back up but since the camera panned away and there was no mention of an injury I figured he was ok. What's interesting is that I did not hear anything about him hurting his shoulder on that play near the end of the game.

12 hours ago, dyst said:

Getting worse by the week. I feel like these guys will eventually get it going and some people will say "SEE I TOLD YOU", but come on if we're being honest the guys have been a disaster. Pryor sucks. Doctson sucks, Crowder sucks. The only one who has played beyond their abilities/expectations is Grant. That's just ****ing sad.

Thank you for confirming you have no idea what you are talking about.  It will make filtering posts in the future easier :)

9 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

Not sure exactly what happened. This play was mid game like you had mentioned The ball was thrown low and in front of Doc and he dove and got it.  He did not get right back up but since the camera panned away and there was no mention of an injury I figured he was ok. What's interesting is that I did not hear anything about him hurting his shoulder on that play near the end of the game.

Its clear the Doctson got the wind knocked out him or had some injury after that diving "catch".   He did suck it up and got himself off the field so Redskins can run a play quickly to keep the Chiefs from challenging the catch.  I am 100% certain that if Doctson stayed on the field hurt and had an injury time out then Chiefs would have challenged that play

On 10/3/2017 at 10:30 PM, NoCalMike said:

I agree.  You can CLEARY see the skill set that Doctson has a WR.  We just need to hope that he gets his body right and he seems to be that we can actually feature as a #1 WR.   If he keeps catching the ball like he has despite his tough miss in the end zone, Cousins is going to go to him more and more...

Pryor just needs to catch the freaking ball.  

On 10/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, method man said:

This team really needs to get Crowder more involved. He is the best receiver on this team and his targets have been minimal. Need to set him up with plays where he can make things happen after the catch.

He's definitely struggling with the hamstring. Trust that we will see a new Jamison after the bye. WR is the worst position for a hammy

13 hours ago, beachboy757 said:

He's not soft, anyone who watched him play in college knows that he is a tough SOB getting those catches. He does seem to be fragile recently though as those who haven't been able to watch him in the pros because he has rarely been active  know . 

Soft and fragile are different things. I keep waiting for his injuries to be an early career blip like they are for many players. (fingers crossed) 

10 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Thank you for confirming you have no idea what you are talking about.  It will make filtering posts in the future easier :)

Pryor is on pace to have 52 receptions for 744 yards and 4 TDs.

Doctson is on pace to have 12 receptions for 320 yards and 4 TDs.

Crowder is on pace to have 56 receptions for 424 yards for 0 TDS.

I assume you were being sarcastic in your reply but if you were being serious, I can't imagine anyone would think this group right now is a successful WR corps. 

Archived