Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

Kirk will throw more to Grant now based on the trust issue for sure.  I hope we stick with the running game Sunday night and use the run to set up some long passing plays.  I think you still have to keep throwing balls to Pryor and Doctson but they will be a third option while Crowder and our tight ends will be his top priority for Cousins.

I know Cooley isn't the end all be all when it comes to analyzing tape, but according to him, Doctson was actually out there getting open, Kirk just wasn't throwing to him deep.

Not sure if it had to do with pass rush, trust issues, going for easier high percentage passes or what, however, I'd say despite the stat books not reflecting it yet, it is good to see Doctson is out there putting in work.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I know Cooley isn't the end all be all when it comes to analyzing tape, but according to him, Doctson was actually out there getting open, Kirk just wasn't throwing to him deep.

Not sure if it had to do with pass rush, trust issues, going for easier high percentage passes or what, however, I'd say despite the stat books not reflecting it yet, it is good to see Doctson is out there putting in work.

If part of it is a trust thing, you'd also have to think that Cousins will see the tape and give Doctson more looks because of it.  

I was actually pretty shocked to find to find out how often Doctson was on the field.  I'll take that as a good sign/first step.  

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

If part of it is a trust thing, you'd also have to think that Cousins will see the tape and give Doctson more looks because of it.  

I was actually pretty shocked to find to find out how often Doctson was on the field.  I'll take that as a good sign/first step.  

Right and I think the important factor in this is that Doctson is out there getting open, running routes etc etc......I am sure game film from the last few seasons will show times Jackson/Garcon got open, but was not thrown to.  It happens, but it is a lot better of a situation knowing Doctson's abilities are starting to show on film in games that count.

Jay is clearly not game planning Doc as the primary but maybe once or twice a game. Kirk does not seem like the type to improvise, nor consistently see that 2rd or 3rd late option. Kirk probably follows the plan and with good route runners in the short game, doesn't have to look deep often. The pass pro is failing more often than not by then anyways.

His snaps increased this week.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I heard that too. Hopefully we call plays where he's the featured more often against the Raiders. It could really catch them off guard.

I still believe in Doc's talent. Gruden's gotta figure it out.

On 5/26/2017 at 9:35 PM, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Wonder how many they can get on the field on the same play without getting Cousins killed? Like I said in my poll, this "could" be on the par of the greatest show on Turf aka Rams with Cousins being potentially a BETTER Kurt Warner. I don't think thats too far a stretch. Speed/Size and catch radius of our guys is going to be scary. Need the Oline to give time!

I'm pumped..better that Monk and the Smurfs

1111.gif

40 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

What part is so funny? Oline needs to give time...that ain't happening. Jury still out. Pryer disappoints to date..dropped balls

I'm sorry, but, comparing this WR corp, and QB (and I do like Kirk) to Super Bowl winning squads is beyond ridiculous (and hilarious) at this point.  It's one thing to be confident in your team and the players, it's another thing to completely lose proper perspective due to that confidence.

I am not sure Kirk is missing wide open WRs, he is just throwing at his primary wide open WRs.  

It just boggles the mind at how we can draft Josh with a first rounder, yet outside of week 1 a year ago, cannot and will not even try to feature him, for even a drive.  The fail fade aside, which he oddly DOES try to feature him, as if that is the only route he can run. It sure looks like one of his worst routes, to these amateur eyes.

I have an idea. Try and throw a fake fade to him on Sunday, and run an out instead. Steal a page from Oaklands playbook.

With Reed potentially out, its high time to give the kid a few targets.  NO NOT THE FADE.

1 hour ago, Probos said:

I'm sorry, but, comparing this WR corp, and QB (and I do like Kirk) to Super Bowl winning squads is beyond ridiculous (and hilarious) at this point.  It's one thing to be confident in your team and the players, it's another thing to completely lose proper perspective due to that confidence.

In your opinion. Try and make an argument for your position and don't just razz people with a differing opinion. I SAW those teams play and the possibility is there by every metric Speed/Size/Catch radius for WR/Slot and TE - minus the Hogs. Again, in case you can't read.I said IF the OLINE can protect.

Laugh away..had to go way back to resurrect that

I think we all were spoiled, us fans wise with the weapons we had last year and having high expectations still with this WR group. Do not give up on two games. They will click, and im sure Cousins studying film seeing Doctson wide open on plenty of plays. Hopefully the running game stays consistent and it will set up the pass. Gruden is smart, trust me guys the offense is gonna perform very well from here on out imo.

We also have to remember how important "taking shots downfield" is for the big picture.  You have to convince the opposing defense you will do it.  DeSean Jackson was a deep threat, but it's not like every ball thrown his way was completed.  The fact that the ball was thrown his way when he was running downfield open was enough to modify the approach of a defense and force them to account for where he was. 

At this point in time all Doctson can do is stay healthy and run his routes.  The ball being thrown his way is up to the QB and O-line giving enough time for the deep ball attempts.

21 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Jay is clearly not game planning Doc as the primary but maybe once or twice a game. Kirk does not seem like the type to improvise, nor consistently see that 2rd or 3rd late option. Kirk probably follows the plan and with good route runners in the short game, doesn't have to look deep often. The pass pro is failing more often than not by then anyways.

His snaps increased this week.

Until he shows that he can stay healthy how can you really make him a primary? 

Clearly the first 2 weeks in this new season have proven what was predictable from the receiving corps.  Looking at the stat line from Cousins first two years, he's played poorly early. One stat line that's promising is that he's 60%+ comp% in week 3.  By his own admission, he was giving 2-4 weeks for the offense to find their identity.  With a run game that's proving the OL needed more time in the trenches to get moving, the signs are positive moving forward. They're not protecting well enough yet for the longer routes to evolve these first 2 weeks. Cousins has gained some confidence (as expected). The top 2 WRs are arguably Pryor/Doctson (at least by the depth chart). This trio of Cousins/Pryor/Doctson shouldn't have had the burden of carrying the load early (week 1 mistake). It appears Gruden has a better feel about what his options are now with his offense. His play calling will be able to utilize a bit more in week 3. 

In week 3, I'm expecting the OL to dictate the rhythm and style that Gruden would choose to deploy vs Oakland. It's good that Doctson is off the radar coming into this game. He's an X factor. Pryor can surely be viewed as a mismatch vs Amerson. I'd expect a degree of comfort in a few routes between Pryor/Cousins in week 3. If they'll leave Pryor 1 one 1 Cousins will take that all night long. It's pretty obvious that a power run game, right on the chin, is a Skin strength and Raider weakness. If this gets going early, they'll be forced to deploy 8 in the box. This could be the formula for dropping 30+ on Oakland. I think the X factor (Doctson) will be bumped up the progression chain and we'll probably see a few more targets. 

Current WR grade after 2-weeks D+

Week 3 expectation is a solid B (Skins passing game is setup for the next step)

:cheers::229::815:

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

Until he shows that he can stay healthy how can you really make him a primary? 

He has been healthy enough to play 2 weeks in a row, with snaps increasing. I think he played close to half our snaps vs the lambs.  A tight hamstring seems quite common and some guys seemingly go for years nursing one. That shouldn't write him out of the game plan if he is healthy enough to be a decoy. Crowder is not a primary yet gets 6 targets a game, and I think has been nursing a pointer.

Just try and throw 2 passes in a row to Josh. Or 2 in one series to start the game, and send the DC scrambling. Certainly defenses shouldn't be expecting it. ANYTHING other than that facepalming fade. Is that too much to ask! 

Apparently so. But one week it must change, and we have to try.  The clock is ticking on his career starting. Reed back to limited today makes me think Jay may make the kid suffer until the bye week before calling his number.

I think the same on the deep balls.  I am probably alone but haven't liked Kirks deep deep balls for about a year now. Yes I remember air yards dominance, but I also remember seeing over throws last year and saw them week 1.  Jay saw them too and called zippy week 2.  Never under thrown, no chance for pass interference, no jump balls, no chance at all to move the chains. Same thing as the fail fade.  Kirk seems to prefer the open guy or favors basically throwing it away / erring on the side of caution. That may be per instruction from Jay for all I know. Avoid the INT, and live for another down.

Ok. Just re-watched the Rams game after the Cooley breakdown to see what the deal was with Doctson. So yes, he was running free on some plays; He made some good blocks. I guess I'm just waiting for a catch and run. I mean, he is a wide receiver.

But to that, Grant went through some growing pains early on (not that I think he is going to ball out). Maybe you could say Doctson needs to "make his bones" first by doing some of the dirty work, like blocking and acting as a decoy.  

Another idea is that they are waiting for a defense with not as much pass rush (more conducive to the pass game). Don't know of any in the next few games.

We'll see

The receiving corps consist of second year unproven talent. You can't subtract garcon and jax and expect cousins to be successful. Pryor, while very good is completely unproven at WR. Dotson as well. The best War is Crowder and he isn't a #1. The running  game needs to carry the load all year to be successful. Bruce Allen is an idiot for getting rid of kirks wrs and not replacing them.

Archived