Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Does anyone have info to set the record straight about what exactly happened with Doctson today?

Was he hurt again?

Was he in the doghouse?

Did Gruden not trust him out there due to not having practiced much?

The guy barely played.

From listening to gruden on his post game conference it seemed like Doctson may have been on a pitch count. 

After several hours thinking about the game, I'm not one to think it's hopeless. I believe Kirk will get it together. His throws were high and he had happy feet but he made some nice throws like the one Pryor should have caught in the end zone and from our one yard line. TP needs to get his head on straight. I think he considers himself an accomplished receiver already and needs to practice without that stupid hoodie! Jamison didn't practice the last few days and barely played in the preseason so he gets a pass. Doctson needs to step up but only playing a couple games last year, he's kinda like a rookie. 

Give the team some time to jell and see what happens. What sucks is what looked like an easy win next week is not as Rams looked good today. 

Pryors 6 for 66 and Grants 4 for 64 = 10 - 130.  The 1st 8 games last season Deshaun and Pierre combined averaged  7.5 - 101.  Second 8 games last season were 9.5 and 153.  

Neither Jackson or Garcon caught more than 7 balls in any game last season.   This was game one with Pryor having 6 catches and missing on a few more.  He will be wayyyy better than Jackson or garcon.

I am not concerned about our receiving corp at all. This is a strong corp group but they were not utilized properly yesterday. Cousin's really needs to distribute the ball better IMO. When I was watching Rodgers yesterday he was delivering short slants, chipping his way up the field against a stout Seattle D using ALL his receivers.  But nothing deep, nothing fancy.  That is not hard to do even for an average QB.   I mean he really dinked and dunked his way up the field.  

The Skins have to stop with the deep passes and bombs until Cousin's gets his damn timing down and the run game established.  That is on Gruden.  And if they did some short passes to say Davis and Reed and Crowder it would take a bit of pressure off of the O line and Cousin's.  And then you have to bring Doctson in and deliberately target him to see what they have with him.  Mix it up.  Grant actually surprised me on a few catches yesterday.  And Pryor actually did okay yardage wise and IMO he is going to be fine.  

And if Cousin's delivers the ball accurately yesterday we would have won. 

I really think we are going to come out strong this week and have a good game on both sides of the ball. If this does not embarrass and pump Cousins up nothing will.   I think this is correctable BUT the flat starts need to stop and Cousin's needs to get his nerves, or whatever the hell it is corrected.  

I feel OK about our receivers but I think we should have kept DJax. I think he commands double teams and takes the top off the the D. I think he will be missed. I think Pryor and Dotson should be able to replace Garson but that is a huge reach considering Dot has not shown the ability to get on the field. Not crazy about him at this point. Crowder and Reed are real good, no problems there. Rest of the guys are back-ups.

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Pryors 6 for 66 and Grants 4 for 64 = 10 - 130.  The 1st 8 games last season Deshaun and Pierre combined averaged  7.5 - 101.  Second 8 games last season were 9.5 and 153.

Neither Jackson or Garcon caught more than 7 balls in any game last season.   This was game one with Pryor having 6 catches and missing on a few more.  He will be wayyyy better than Jackson or garcon.

Hmm, food for thought, I guess.

Just think if Cousins pulls his head out of his ass...

2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I feel OK about our receivers but I think we should have kept DJax. I think he commands double teams and takes the top off the the D. I think he will be missed. I think Pryor and Dotson should be able to replace Garson but that is a huge reach considering Dot has not shown the ability to get on the field. Not crazy about him at this point. Crowder and Reed are real good, no problems there. Rest of the guys are back-ups.

Gruden said after the game yesterday that he is bringing Docston onto the field slowly (he only played 20 of 62 snaps yesterday and NONE in the red zone) because of his lack of work in the preseason.

I would've just thrown him in there myself. Couldn't hurt. ;) 

However, Docston can't catch the ball if Cousins won't throw it to him. According to CSN, Docston was targeted ZERO times yesterday. I can't believe Docston didn't get open once in 20 snaps.

Cousins is going to have to trust Docston if he is going to be the playmaker many think he can be.

Poor management. It's all or nothing with this team. They don't know how to build. We finally had a good offense couple years in a row and what do they do, they get rid of our strength and nix both starting WRs in the same off season. Dumb teams make dumb moves.

46 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

However, Docston can't catch the ball if Cousins won't throw it to him. According to CSN, Docston was targeted ZERO times yesterday. I can't believe Docston didn't get open once in 20 snaps.

Cousins is going to have to trust Docston if he is going to be the playmaker many think he can be.

As a part of the ongoing "You can't even make this **** up" part of the program, I present Cousins comments regarding Doctson. He seemed confused by it as well. It seems like JDoc was used to provide breathers for the other receivers.  If that was the game plan, well, just wow.  We may have a coaching issue to add to our fun mix.  Only our Redskins....Yeesh. 

Cousins couldn’t explain Josh Doctson’s lack of involvement in the offense: “I don’t have a great understanding going into games of what the rotations are going to be, the personnel groupings.” “When we’re in our Zebra personnel, we usually have Jordan Reed playing the tight end position and you have three receivers,” he said. “And yesterday that was, for the most part, Terrelle, Jamison and then Ryan Grant.” “And then it seemed like Josh was giving people a breather,” he said. “When any of those guys came out, they would move around and switch and Josh was playing the Z in Ryan Grant’s place at times.”

Here are quotes by Gruden to explain.  While I get it, we need our best players on the field (maybe Perine for a carry or two) OR being targeted at least ONCE (JDoc).  This also tells me how regimented we are regarding the playcall.  Maybe by design, Kirk, or coaching demands.  This could be a reason we do so poorly when a play breaks down in some fashion.  We lack improvisational skills, for whatever reason. It is really important in the NFL today....to be able to create when things are helter skelter.  THAT is what maks a QB great in modern football, in my unprofessional opinion. 

On if “readiness issues” limited WR Josh Doctson’s snaps:

“I don’t think it is ‘readiness issues.’ I think he is ready to go. I think it is something more that he has to perform and he has to play well to earn more playing time. You know, he hasn’t practiced a whole lot. Last year he didn’t practice a whole lot. This year, he has been in and out of the lineup a little bit. I think once he establishes himself as an everyday player, he is going to get the reps and he is going to prove that he is one of our top receivers. He’ll get more and more reps as the season goes on without a doubt, but he has got to earn that right like everybody does.”

On why Doctson didn’t get any targets:

“It wasn’t anything Josh did. It was just that, for whatever reason, the play we had called didn’t get targeted to him.”

On what Doctson needs to do to earn more reps:

“I need to see him out here at practice, you know, on a consistent basis. He will make plays in practice. The more plays he makes in practice, the more comfortable that Kirk will be, the more reps he is going to get and that is going to happen. It will happen. I know that will happen. Josh is a great receiver. Now it is just a matter of putting it day in and day out consistently, stacking days together one after another and then he will play plenty and get plenty of catches by the time the year is up.”

On if practice is where Doctson will earn that role:

“Yeah, of course. Consistent. He’ll get more next week.”

Looking at our WRs, you gotta think the Rams would be well served to press man blitz until we prove we can stop it. That's what I would do at least after looking at this weeks film. No DJax to keep DCs nervous and FS worried. Kirk over throwing and not a threat in the red zone, why not play with no respect for us. Rest assured half our snaps we'd run up the gut into the run blitz.

The lambs now know Crowder Reed and Doctson are injured / will not be featured until we show otherwise. Pryor is inconsistent but sure double him on the slant his bread and butter.  Pressure Cousins until we prove we have hot routes.  Let us feature Grant.

I am thinking Jay may get desperate and put Josh into a game plan sooner than he wants.

The grass is not always greener with green horns.

Even though it was frustrating not seeing Doctson involved yesterday he does need to prove to the coaches he can be available to the team before they start creating games plans with him featured/targeted a lot.

I still see Grant getting ****ted on even though yesterday he showed off some his good route running that coaches praise him for. He was one of the few positives on offense yesterday. 

If Doctson was on a "pitch count", why was he not on the field for the opening series?  The only time I saw him consistently getting on the field was after the Kirk interception pretty much ended the game.  Three other observations:

1. The few routes I saw him run did not look crisp at all.  He wasn't sharp with his cuts and he didn't have much speed.

2. He is 24 years old and will be 25 by the time the season is over.  WR is a young man's position.  We shouldn't really be treating him like a rookie.  His peer group is actually Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Allen Robinson, etc. who are all more or less the same age as him.  There's a reason those guys declared for the draft earlier than he did - people who have elite NFL talent generally don't wait until they are 23 years old to get drafted these days.

3. I am convinced that this somehow matters -> he looks terrible in a football uniform.  He looks like Merton Hanks or something...just does not look good.  For every billion people who tried on a football uniform and looked awful, there are 999,999,999 who quit in pee wee or high school, and then there's Merton Hanks.  So, not good odds for Doctson.

58 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

3. I am convinced that this somehow matters -> he looks terrible in a football uniform.  He looks like Merton Hanks or something...just does not look good.  For every billion people who tried on a football uniform and looked awful, there are 999,999,999 who quit in pee wee or high school, and then there's Merton Hanks.  So, not good odds for Doctson.

Somehow I think if he were making plays, you'd say he looked great in a Redskin uniform.  But does he really look that bad?  But yeah,  Merton Hanks certainly wasn't built like a football player.

Doctson is listed as a starter over Grant on our depth chart :ols:.  Yes i still hate the look design and lack of functionality of our depth chart.

Next year, I will try to not slobber so much over the reports from camp.  I am still perplexed to know that Ike said "that Quick had made more plays in camp than all the other receivers combined." I don't recall a single positive thing said about Quick in camp, until that Ike tweet.

Remember this post when I say that Brian Quick will be our secret weapon and haunt his former club on Sunday. With nothing to lose I still boldly stand by my prediction that he is our first WR to score a TD this year, although Grant is quickly moving up the odds board.

Yeah Doctson is dealing with tightness in his hamstrings. 

At this point he's just taking up a roster spot. The doctson pick is starting to look worse than Malcom Kelly and Devtin Thomas. At least those guys caught some passes. 

Doctson will be 25 in a few months and he's been hurt after every practice. Perhaps his body can't handle the NFL. I feel bad for him, it's not his fault. 

Archived