Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

I for one thought we were going to be OK with our receivers this year but I did want to keep one of the guys we lost. I thought we got bigger and younger and expected to be better in the red zone. I never watched a Browns game so the only time I saw Pryor was against us last year and he was real good. I never expected him to be a waste like he is. I thought Dotson would step up to be the receiver we thought he could be, although I would not have drafted him, but I thought he could be adaquate. He is not as yet. The rest of our receivers are real good although Reed cannot stay healthy. All in all I am disappointed. I thought we would be better.

I am more down on Pryor than I am on Doctson. This is essentially Doctson's rookie season and he's not getting many opportunities.  Our front office is to blame here, I have no problem with letting Jackson walk but not resigning Garcon was a huge mistake.  If we had a combo of Garcon, Crowder, Pryor, and Doctson finally getting game experience no one would be as down on him as they are now.   Either way it won't matter, next year it will be Crowder & Doctson with who knows throwing to them, could be McCoy but there's probably zero chance Cousin's resigns here.

Not shocked at all with the production of this position group.  Pryor is what I feared he was, and Doctson although skillful is taking his time learning the speed of the game at this level.  Reed and Crowder are the two letdowns.  Ryan Grant has been the most consistent WR on the team--and that's just not going to cut it in the nfl.  He's a nice 4th or 5th WR to have on your roster but when you consistently rely on him to be productive you're going to struggle.  Chris Thompson is our most reliable offensive threat catching the ball...that says a lot.

I actually didn't watch yesterday's game.  I had consecutive soccer games that kept me from watching.  It was really quite a nice experience not having to sit through a struggle that most knew was coming.  Found myself less happy than I would have if we had won, but still a happy dude.  That's a nice feeling after a loss, one I'm quite sure I wouldn't have had if I watched the game...

I get the feeling Kirk is a perfectionist and Pryor is just too raw in his routes to have confidence enough to feature him.  That is without even factoring in the drops.

I think it was telling hearing Kirk doesn't even want to throw at covered WRs/tight windows. In practice.

Which is likely in an effort to minimize INTs, which was something Kirk had to try to correct. But I never thought the bonehead INTs from seasons past were from tight windows, it was more forcing throws, struggling under pressure, feeling pressure to win it for us, or struggling off script.

Crowder fair caught a punt over his shoulder yesterday... it was a muff waiting to happen.

Doctson needs to spend the summer with Pierre Garcon so he can learn some toughness.  This guy is really soft.

Reed cannot break tackles any more after he makes catches.  Injuries have worn him down.  Front office needs to bring in

some receivers before the season ends.  If they do not then they are more interested in showing that Cousins cannot win

with mediocre receivers so they do not have to pay him so much money in the future.

Similar to others, I'm still relatively high on Doctson. He played what was essentially his 8th professional game yesterday. Unless you are OBJ or Julio, rookie wideouts rarely significantly contribute their first season. Although, I say that as JuJu Smith-Schuster goes for almost 200 yards last night as a 20 year old..

I'm becoming more worried about Jordan Reed, however. That huge contract extension is starting to look a little iffy in hindsight. The guy just can't stay healthy.  

Doctson is at least showing he can get open. I am willing to bet the game film shows he is open more then you'd see from the broadcast too.  Kirk has a tendency not to throw downfield unless guys are not wide open and "wide open" by NFL standards can mean a step, not 3 yards.  You have to trust Doctson to go up and make plays. The throw he made to him against Oakland? He was covered well to, but he made the play.  His drops hurt, but they are also magnified because he has so little thrown his way to begin with.  Dez Bryant dropped a similar ball that was pretty much thrown to his hands in the endzone later in the game,  Drops will happen, I am more concerned (long term) with Doctson showing he can get open and win routes which he is doing.

Pryor is the project WR. I am pretty much down expecting anything more out of him. I wouldn't give up on Doctson yet, not by a long shot.

46 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Doctson needs to spend the summer with Pierre Garcon so he can learn some toughness.  This guy is really soft.

Reed cannot break tackles any more after he makes catches.  Injuries have worn him down.  Front office needs to bring in

some receivers before the season ends.  If they do not then they are more interested in showing that Cousins cannot win

with mediocre receivers so they do not have to pay him so much money in the future.

Where does the FO find these good receivers mid-season?

11 hours ago, rdskn4eva said:

The Redskins went from a top 3 receiving corp to probably the worst receiving corp in Redskins history.  Front office strikes again

Love em or hate em, with all due respect to the front office.  You already had a few pieces in place with Crowder, Reed/Davis.

You can't possibly blame the FO for taking Doctson in the first round.

As for signing Pryor.  They took the chance.  Arguably the "best" possible FA available on the market to some.  You blame the FO "IF" they sign him to a 4-6 year deal worth 35+ million etc. 

His $6M was worth the gamble coming off the season he had.  Or would you rather have Kenny Briit type deal with disappointment.  We let our guys walk, based on financials.  I may be in the minority but you can't blame the front office for the play at the WR position.  We were all salivating at the possibilities of this group.  It didn't pan out.

4 hours ago, MariusVT said:

but not resigning Garcon was a huge mistake

Garcon apparently did not want to be here.  Secondly, he is making $16 million  this year.  The way it is set up and the total money of 5 years $47.5 million, gave the FO no chance of him being here.  So how is that "blame"? 

More variables go into signing or not re-signing then jusy blaming the FO.

Pryor was the featured receiver on the Browns - so many opportunities to make plays that you didn't pay that much attention to the drops.  It's the offensive scheme that he's in now that reveals his shortcomings.  The Skins just don't pass all the time to one WR  - and Kirk isn't willing or able to just throw it up to a high spot where only Pryor can get it.  It's a one year deal and I don't think Pryor is going to want to be here next year.

As others have said, Doctson is in his rookie season.  Most rookie WR are not dominant in their first season of playing.  So I'm not worried about his development yet.  There's nothing wrong with Crowder - he was the beneficiary of Garcon/Jackson in the past.  Now he's competing for touches with the reliable TEs and RBs.   

On 10/3/2017 at 5:13 PM, CTskin said:

Nothing is worse than this kind of hindsight trashing. I don't know you, but I'm sure you were pumped about the Pryor signing; 100% of this board was for it. We were much more split on letting Garcon go, but the fact that he got a 5-yr $50M deal as a 31 y/o WR, the majority thought it was correct to let him walk. The bottom line is that we'll be strapped for cash if/when we sign Cousins and you can't have a fading WR taking up that kind of cap space over the next few years. 

That was just in response to your first paragraph. After reading the rest, I now realize you're just trolling. Pipe down. 

So I guess CTskin is the posting police and is the only one that has the right to have an opinion. 

I DID NOT agree with the acquisition of Pryor and it is because of A$$es like you I rarely respond these posts. But tell me this, where were the three players that I mentioned this past week against Dallas? 

7 minutes ago, pappy1271 said:

So I guess CTskin is the posting police and is the only one that has the right to have an opinion. 

I DID NOT agree with the acquisition of Pryor and it is because of A$$es like you I rarely respond these posts. But tell me this, where were the three players that I mentioned this past week against Dallas? 

Geeeesh man, you've been saving this "told ya so" for a month for when it fit your narrative? I just re-read your post that I responded to and I apologize. I genuinely thought you were trolling because of the paragraph trashing our best weapons and I noticed that you didn't have many posts. My bad. 

3 hours ago, pappy1271 said:

I guess I sort of AM the posting police. In which context it's not OK to call another member an ass. You can trash their posts, attack their point of view (which is what CTskin did to you). But you can't attack the poster.

Friendly warning since you don't post much. But please bear this in mind.

12 hours ago, skinny21 said:

So, is Crowder healthy now?  Did Kirk or Jay just decide to force the ball to him?  Did Dallas' defense play differently?

Strange game for sure.  

No, I heard Jay said today that James has a hamstring.   Maybe he had one all along, but it wasn't reported. But then, why report it now after a big game... maybe the heavy work load caused it.  It was nice to see his first very good game in a LONG time, but still no TDs in 11 games though.

I started Josh in my season long, ha being a homer paid off for once. He only catches or drops TDs it seems, an odd amount for so few a targets.

We are a hot mess though. 

Say Crowder limping is a decoy.  Our "best" WR is basically benched. No, not Grant. Grant and Doctson start, Davis at TE. Quick has to be active next game - heck maybe he starts and Grant is in the slot. We cannot afford a roster spot to call up Harris from the minors. Maybe Sprinkle will get his first target next week.

Archived