Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

I don’t see Reed struggling to get open (I watch him often, as I want the offense to again run through him). 

Thoughts on Gruden not liking Reed as much as MCcvay? 

Remember Paul beat out Reed before suffering a season ending injury 3 seasons ago (When Gruden was calling plays). 

I get that Reed has struggled with injuries, but that’s always been the case, even with MCcvay, but he still schemed plays for Reed. 

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 6:50 PM, RandyHolt said:

I do seem to notice Kirk being better at going through his reads this year. Like the 3rd read TD pass to Perine. Anyone else notice that?

That was actually his 5th read on that play. Going from snap, right to left. Cousins answered a question about that play and about his progression being faster.  He answered that Yes he's getting faster for many reasons from pre-snap reads through the play. Like post snap coverages that lead heavy to one side negating half the reads and he'll look off that side knowing his throw must go to the opposite options.  There's a mental focus to the remaining routes and decisiveness. 

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 10:09 PM, wit33 said:

I don’t see Reed struggling to get open (I watch him often, as I want the offense to again run through him). 

Thoughts on Gruden not liking Reed as much as MCcvay? 

Remember Paul beat out Reed before suffering a season ending injury 3 seasons ago (When Gruden was calling plays). 

I get that Reed has struggled with injuries, but that’s always been the case, even with MCcvay, but he still schemed plays for Reed. 

First he's not getting separation and able to get out of his routes as he naturally does. Reed said his injury to his toe isn't 100% and that it affects the muscle mechanics for the rest of his body. Gruden hasn't made any indication negative about Reed except that he wants him to be 100%. Everybody knows he's not. This is the same offense so the scheme is basically the same. Reeds dropping passes that he usually catches. He's not getting separation and isn't as fast. He also doesn't block. He's a liability most the time right now on most the plays. 

Just been reading about Kenny Britt being an ass in Clevland with talk of him being a potential cut half a season into a 4 year 32mil contract.

Kind of highlights the dangers on FA and how difficult finding the right players can be. This team really needs Doctson to emerge, that would take a load of pressure off that group as we head into the 2018 offseason.

@RandyHolt Hey man, you know Cousins progress is way more advanced then Wentz.  So I view Cousins being better then Wentz at this point and going into the match.  Wentz has the Elite QB gifts that when he gets to the point in experience that Cousins is at, he'll be better. I don't see Wentz being able to make the progressions that Cousins can right now. I think he gets away with stuff now because of his mobility and instincts. However, he gets sacked a lot. 

5 hours ago, TheShredder said:

First he's not getting separation and able to get out of his routes as he naturally does. Reed said his injury to his toe isn't 100% and that it affects the muscle mechanics for the rest of his body. Gruden hasn't made any indication negative about Reed except that he wants him to be 100%. Everybody knows he's not. This is the same offense so the scheme is basically the same. Reeds dropping passes that he usually catches. He's not getting separation and isn't as fast. He also doesn't block. He's a liability most the time right now on most the plays. 

The approach to the scheme is dramatically different, in my opinion. Much more run heavy and less spread formations. 

We’ll agree to disagree, as I know without video evidence it becomes us arguing what we feel we see. He looks fine moving, I think many in media want to cling to something and the easy thing is to say injuries are the reason. Not that it’s wrong, but it’s not “the” reason. 

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

The approach to the scheme is dramatically different, in my opinion. Much more run heavy and less spread formations. 

We’ll agree to disagree, as I know without video evidence it becomes us arguing what we feel we see. He looks fine moving, I think many in media want to cling to something and the easy thing is to say injuries are the reason. Not that it’s wrong, but it’s not “the” reason. 

Yeah that's fine. I can see what you're saying.  My point is that Grudens offensive scheme is play design and personnel, very much the same as he's been utilizing since coming to the Skins.  He's got the same running back and QB and TE core, with similar plays designed.  The missing pieces and play calling are different, resulting in a stronger push towards more even Run:Pass ratios.  This has been deployed out of personnel issues vs a change in the schematics and dynamics.  

Cooleys breakdowns on Reed clearly show he's not getting separation. Reed himself explains the issue with all this.  Now if Reeds making excuses then whatever.  Bottom line is he's not getting open like he usually does and he looks like his mechanics are off.  Noting that he's not even attempting to block on most his assignments...blocking like a matador and letting people by. The guy doesn't play well when he doesn't feel well. Seems like too much is going through his head. 

On 10/5/2017 at 12:32 AM, Peregrine said:

Thank you for confirming you have no idea what you are talking about.  It will make filtering posts in the future easier :)

Just wondering if you still think the WRs are doing well...6 games into the season?

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How I feel about the current wide receiver corps...

Upon reading that Anquan Boldin wants to come out of retirement, I immediately thought hmmmmm...maybe.

You know what?  The thought crossed my mind too.  

I know this much: the inability of our Offense to move the chains outside The Numbers cannot continue indefinitely.  

Can he play OL?  He can probably block better than most of our WRs FWIW

WRs are still a mess though.  And now we don't know if Jay will try to further transition away from TP as his number 1.  It's cloudy - first after last weeks first half absence, only to see him log a ton of second half snaps. Both of those, were surprises. That makes me think this Sunday will be as unpredictable.

I did think it was interesting when Jon Gruden said TP needs to try to catch with this hands. Facing the QB, you can make the catch quicker with hands vs body, and not give the DB as much time to defend. TP jinxed himself in a preseason interview when he said he doesn't drop passes.

I would like to see TP scratched if Jay does not plan to use him vs Dallas, and try Brian Quick instead. Quick should be in line for targets ahead of Harris, but I liked what we saw of Harris last year. And bonus, he can return punts. Heh, nice call @DJHJR86 - maybe we'll see Mo after all.  Between Crowder and his fumbles and Pryor and his drops.... Mo can help stabilize us hopefully.

Our fate may lay in the hands of one Josh Doctson, in Mud Bowl 17.

50 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Don't know if he'd be a "cancer" here....but what I do know is he can run right by you.

He's intriguing...at least to me.

Anthony Armstrong could run right by people. I'd rather have people that put up, shut up, and don't get drug suspensions, all at the same time.

Doctson's drop today was awful, but at least he is showing signs of being able to play the position. He is getting open, then he had the TD catch, working his way back across the endzone.  The guy needs to keep getting reps. I think there is a chance he will keep getting better.

Pryor.............no words.

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Doctson's drop today was awful, but at least he is showing signs of being able to play the position. He is getting open, then he had the TD catch, working his way back across the endzone.  The guy needs to keep getting reps. I think there is a chance he will keep getting better.

Pryor.............no words.

Well Pryor was only targeted once and the throw was absolutely terrible - no way he would have landed inbounds because it was so high. 

I felt that the media was full of crap all spring/summer long, and although they'd likely start slow, wed have a potent duo with Doc and Pryor, Crowder underneath, and Reed/Davis.

But I was wrong. This is apocalyptically bad. We're not far off from propping up people Weekend at Bernie's style

We were all fooled into believing Ryan Grant was going to make a difference.....just like the passed 5 years he wont even if hes the best receiver we have. Cousins is our only play maker on offense i guess you can count Thompson but outside of this year he hasn't done squat. This receiver corps is by far the worst i have seen on any team in awhile balls hit their hands and they simply drop them. Its nobodys fault except one persons, BRUCE ALLEN he had this roster coming in with the receiving corps we have and i hope he leaves the season not having to do with anything Redskins related. 

Archived