Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

9 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

At this point I am not absolving the coaching staff.  We know that Gruden scripts the first 15 or so plays every game, right?  So why not take Doctson and design plays to put the ball in his hands to get an idea of what he can do.  Try to use 5 or so of those first 15 to get him into a rhythm. Get him and Cousins some chemistry going.  Surely Doctson can catch a screen pass, or run a slant, or run a crossing route? 

I am watching games across the NFL where no-name WRs get open and at least make somewhat of an impact.  I am not saying Pryor & Doctson are just waiting to break out, but I am sure they have the ability to do more then what they are doing right now. 

You touched on something pretty important; scripting plays.

I've been curious about a couple of things.

1. Predictability of the offense. Right now, yes, with the limits the offense has, combined with the talent on the field [ or lack of ], and the fact that opponents study game film, and can recognize certain formations and what Gruden's trying to accomplish. At times I've seen where Doctson and Pryor both were passed off by the CBs up front, and there was that space in between where they could have cut a different angle or did something different, but instead they seemed to run directly right back into coverage of a safety. Is it possible KC went through his progressions and by the time he got back to them, they were already covered again?

2. The actual plays Gruden is scripting. The team overall seems to do ok for the first qtr to half, but fall apart in the 2nd half. Even with the replacement players in right now. Maybe Gruden should develop 2 different scripts for the 2nd half, both of which involve plays that they don't run much. Towards the end of the games, defenses seem to know exactly whats going on and position themselves accordingly, but if the WRs change things up, at least they might have a better chance of getting more open.

3. Does Gruden work on the process that he's expecting the WRs to beat coverage based on athletic ability rather than adjusting play calling? Maybe I'm not looking at it right, but in most games this season, the offense starts off good, can move the ball, and things are going ok. But after a qtr or half,  its the same ol' same ol', and Gruden expects the WRs to physically beat coverage instead of shifting gears.

17 hours ago, skins island connection said:

You touched on something pretty important; scripting plays.

I've been curious about a couple of things.

The team overall seems to do ok for the first qtr to half, but fall apart in the 2nd half. Even with the replacement players in right now. Maybe Gruden should develop 2 different scripts for the 2nd half, both of which involve plays that they don't run much.

My biggest criticism of Gruden-the-playcaller is that he seems unable to modify the game plan other than abandoning the run when the team gets behind.  The pattern of this offense is that it starts out pretty decent, driving up and down the field for the first few drives, then they seem to stall completely until the opponent has come back and tired or taken the lead.  

It's like Gruden has nothing to offer after the first set of plays have been run.

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

My biggest criticism of Gruden-the-playcaller is that he seems unable to modify the game plan other than abandoning the run when the team gets behind.  The pattern of this offense is that it starts out pretty decent, driving up and down the field for the first few drives, then they seem to stall completely until the opponent has come back and tired or taken the lead.  

It's like Gruden has nothing to offer after the first set of plays have been run.

That's exactly how I'd characterize it. It's almost as if he's studied the film and effectively game planned how to attack what the defense normally does. The defense then adjusts, but Gruden never does. It drives me mad.

As it stands, not thrilled with the receiving corps.

Pryor is a bust.  I'm pretty sure I can confidently say that.  Anything that he can produce from here on out should be looked at a bonus.  I don't see him getting much better, let alone turning a 180 on his season and beasting out.  Not sure how he gained 1,000 yards last year in Cleveland.

Jordan Reed, our most talented pass catcher has been quiet all year.  27 catches, 211 yards, 2 scores.   Shocker, he's not playing against Seattle this weekend.

Vernon Davis has less catches than Reed but has been better from a bang for your buck perspective.  More YPC.

Crowder was looked at as a guy who was going to be a big part in replacing DeSean and Garcon and he's been disappointing.  Showed signs of waking up against Dallas.  I believe if any of our pass catchers can turn it around this year, it's him.  

Ryan Grant has been decent.  No longer a guy who you wonder what he's doing on the field.

Doctson has shown flashes but also mired with inconsistency.  Dropped the game winner against the Chiefs, didn't haul in a big reception against Dallas.  You like that quick TD he got in the 49ers game but then he ghosted for the rest.  But hey, he's actually on the field.  Only 8 catches though?

Chris Thompson is our MVP so far this year which is great.  As good as he is, he's not Marshall Faulk and I look at him stepping up and leading this team in receptions as more of an issue with our actual pass catching receiving corps rather than how proficient he is.  

Somehow, Cousins still has a shot at a 4,000 yard season with over 20 touchdowns again. I'm not sure how that can happen seeing as how lackluster this group has been.  Had this group been living up to expectations that some had before the season, we'd probably be 4-3 or maybe even 5-2.  Definitely 4-3 if Doctson can hold that ball.  

14 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

I'm not giving up on Pryor yet. He's still new to the position and has too much potential to just ditch him. I'd rather he continue to get snaps and hope he can develop rather than go with someone else who could give us more short-term success.

I agree with you. He has seen less targets but he has held on to the ball the last couple of weeks. I'm not ready to give up on him either. Gotta give both him and Doctson more opportunities. 

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Would like to see more Brian Quick.

Well if our coaching staff is true to themselves, and they probably are, he'll have an increased playing time anytime soon.

He deserved it.

6 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

I'm not giving up on Pryor yet. He's still new to the position and has too much potential to just ditch him. I'd rather he continue to get snaps and hope he can develop rather than go with someone else who could give us more short-term success.

Not at that price though.

6 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

It's time for Josh Doctson to become the #1 Receiver he was drafted to be.  He's earned the right.  The Seattle catch (in my mind) did that.

Same as Brian Quick. He's making a case for himself.

Now it's up to Cousins to trust his guys.

The cream may be slowly rising to the top.

Josh looks good for 1 big play a game, but IMHO clearly deserves a few more looks deep with his tracking skills. I have a suggestion for Jay: After about 5 1yd Kelley first down plunges, give up, and try that 3 step deep fade to Doctson instead.

I hope Quick didn't get a concussion on that dirty/nasty hit he took. You can see him lower his head after he got up and thought I read somewhere he was in protocol.  He has been quietly biding his time running around on teams not making a stink and has simply earned more targets.

Pryor and Doctson play the same position. Someone has to fill the void and I think Quick may be it. Sure Grant is in the mix.   But I am skeptical that Crowder will be 100% when he returns.  If he is, great, if not, I would rather see Quick and let him heal up. Quick showed great tracking skills himself on his deep ball.

http://www.redskins.com/videos/HIGHLIGHT-Brian-Quick-Absorbs-Big-Hit-From-Kam-Chancellor-Still-Hangs-On-For-31-Yard-Catch/3703316f-0647-4d65-90f6-5e93472a5500

Here's to a quick shout out to the Hawks DB that Doctson burned. Josh caught the ball at the 6 yard line and he simply ran along side Josh as he slid to the goal line, versus touching him down. That led to us not having to pass to score, burning up extra time which proved a factor seeing as Seattle only needed a FG and was marching on us as the game ended. It is remarkable how often players do not "touch" down an opponent basically at their feet.  The beauty of it, turns out Cam touching him down at the .25 yard line, could have let him roll in and give Wilson more time.

Josh has a nice solid 17.1 average. It will take a 50 yarder to get him to 20 per.

4 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Reed will count $10.3M against the cap next year, we cant afford to give him full time pay for part-time work.

Its time to think seriously about what were going to do with him.

I'd imagine we are going to ride that one out for 2018 and make the decision to cut bait from there.  He's got dead cap of nearly 6M in 2018, only 3 and change in 2019.  But I do agree with you that it's a lot of money for a guy that looks a step slow when he is playing and doesn't play/practice more often than not.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'd imagine we are going to ride that one out for 2018 and make the decision to cut bait from there.  He's got dead cap of nearly 6M in 2018, only 3 and change in 2019.  But I do agree with you that it's a lot of money for a guy that looks a step slow when he is playing and doesn't play/practice more often than not.

Agreed the dead cap is a killer but we would net $4.9M in usable cap space, you can get a solid player for that.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

A worthy regifplay - Cousins firing it under heavy pressure to Grant

https://twitter.com/MarkBullockNFL/status/927309863948038144

Thanks for finding this.

I was in complete awe when that play happened!

One of the best play of this game. Simply amazing.

42 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Reed will count $10.3M against the cap next year, we cant afford to give him full time pay for part-time work.

Its time to think seriously about what were going to do with him.

I would say time to trade him for whatever you can.

I've always liked the guy and hated how often he was injured.

Archived