Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

I agree with a previous post that I originally had optimism about the changes this year and thought we could maintain or be slightly better.  Pryor has been horrible and if there was a way to jettison him I'd be all for it.  Total miss on that one almost on a Haynesworth level.  Doctson is a disappointment although I'm not giving up on him yet.  Another game or two of catchable balls slipping through his hands though and I'll change my mind there.  On a positive note is Grant.  I've always been critical of #14 but he has stepped up a bit this year.  Kudos there!  I'm now ready to see the skins part ways with Reed after this year.  Immense talent and has come up big on many occasions but can't stay on the field to truly contribute. 

I think its safe to say this team isn't going anywhere this season. Even by the pure hand of god miracle that somehow this team managed to get into the playoffs, whoever they'd face would destroy them. There will be a lot of pressure on o-linemen to get back onto the field and that will do none of them any good, only subject them to a much worse injury.

Just have KC throw deep; take a page outta the Rex '**** it I'm going deep' Grossman and just let it fly, and see what comes of it. If Doctson catches them, then we know he's growing; if he doesn't, then they know what to do with him come off-season.

Yea, I know we're only at 3-4, but I was a lot more comfortable last year at 3-4 than this year; at least last year we had hopes of DJax and Garcon catching fire, and they did step it up.

I still find it very odd that many days in camp we heard about and saw incredible catches, corners beaten like a rental mule.  It was never Quick. Yet at the end of camp, Ike Hilliard reserved the highest praise for Quick, yet most us fans had written him off as a cut.

Maybe Ike liked Quick and talked him up, But why bother, his play should speak for itself. And i suspect, it did. Only, we heard about the spectacular catches from the big names, and started drooling and Quick was an after thought. And remains that today. 

Maybe its high time to give him one drive with a few targets.  Ike saw something.  Quick may be the Mack Brown of the WRs, likely a bit raw still as a late developer, or still learning the playbook, or lacks Cousins / Grant / Gruden grade timing and route precision. 

It's always amazing to me the tight bar the NFL sets on WR play. It's full on precision or bust for many teams, others systems will have QBs throw jump balls or Grossman it, just fire away into tight windows.  You could line up those same guys in a game of pickup and they would dominate. 

I was pleased with Crowder's resurgence against Dallas. IMO, Gruden was finally using him the way he should have from the start of the season, which was as an "all over the field, just find a way to get the ball in his hands" sort of WR.  Basically like Chris Thompson but a WR. I hope that continues. He has way too much talent not to be getting more opportunities.

It seems like some of the fantasy "experts" on XM poo poo the smaller WRs / hands backs.  Anyone that dominates, they boldly predict its only a matter of time before they come crashing back to earth. The latest today, was CT who keeps on making them look like fools. Glass slipper were the words they used, and said to eyeball Kelley.

After hearing Crowder got injured, coupled with his big game, I am thinking its not a coincidence. Jay has not been dialing his number 10 targets every game, likely because he is trying to manage his snaps. It's not easy for younger/smaller players to be available for the entire year, and its a part of coaching we as fans can only speculate on. The odd thing is that Jay has NO problem saying CTs snaps are managed, but no mention of Crowder who is roughly of the same build, or even smaller.

Perhaps Jay saw yesterday as a pivotal game in our season, and pulled out all the stops and featured Crowder.

Was listening to the radio and caught Cooley's breakdown of Doctson. He gave him a B+/A- for the game. Said that he got open a lot, was running good routes and getting separation, and that his blocking was much improved. He also said that he wasn't targeted a lot despite how often he was open. Criticized him, of course, on the drop saying that a good receiver can't do that.

12 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Was listening to the radio and caught Cooley's breakdown of Doctson. He gave him a B+/A- for the game. Said that he got open a lot, was running good routes and getting separation, and that his blocking was much improved. He also said that he wasn't targeted a lot despite how often he was open. Criticized him, of course, on the drop saying that a good receiver can't do that.

So did Kirk just miss all those throws? Did he just not have time with our oline? I don't know, I mean we're obviously still giving Doctson the next year or so to continue to develop. I know some people do, I just don't see it. He seemed to have some good fight at the end of the game so maybe he can build on it.... 

Overall, this Front Office bet on the receiving group and lost. This seems like it has turned into the worst case scenario for the Redskins, Garcon as well as Jackson. 

I think Reeds inability to play (seriously, shut him down too even when he's playing he looks awful and hurt), has been a big factor too. He was the man the last two years, and just isn't right. 

Kirk has to start giving the guys on the outside more chances. Period. 

As far as Reed he just can't play NFL football and stay healthy doing it. For the money he's making it is just time to move on. How do you hurt your toe before training camp? He couldn't even start camp healthy and that was before any contact. It's just always something with him. And I don't think he's soft, he goes out there hurt so he deserves  respect for that. 

1 minute ago, Paul Cumberland said:

not sure what we'd have for trade but...

A WR.....seriously. Put Pryor up and a 4th. Say him and Kirk just dont work well together and cut your losses. Though this would go away from the tanking idea. 

BTW I cant be the only one in here that finds its hilarious that tanking is a legit strategy in the NFL now when we could have been doing it for the last decade and a half. And by hilarious I mean in a sit in a corner in the fetal position crying type of way. 

25 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Someone wants him. Dude is still talented we just dont throw to him. 

If by talent, you're talking about his frame.  He absolutely sucks at running routes, giving himself up for a catch, and just catching the ball in general.  Dude got benched for a reason, not because he's not being targeted.  He might have some value simply for someone with time to kill on this project, but nobody wants him to step right in and contribute.

21 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If Landry is available, scoop him up immediately. Kirk needs guys that operate in between the hashes effectively. 

Could be a real possibility, but isn't he due for a deal, likely a very large one sometime soon?

EDIT: Yeah, he's a free agent at the end of the season.  I'll pass.  He's going to get a lot of coin.

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Someone wants him. Dude is still talented we just dont throw to him. 

Cooley was killing Pryor today.  Last week he more or less said cut bait.  Today he talked about how he was blocking with no oomph and effort citing a play where Chris Thompson could have broken a big run but Pryor avoided contact so no block to spring him loose.  More or less has suggested in multiple ways in different film studies that Pryor is soft.  He avoids contact as a blocker and as a receiver and it effects his ability to catch the ball.

28 minutes ago, wit33 said:

If Landry is available, scoop him up immediately. Kirk needs guys that operate in between the hashes effectively. 

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Could be a real possibility, but isn't he due for a deal, likely a very large one sometime soon?

According to what I've been seeing on Twitter, doesn't appear Miami is willing to part with Landry... 

Appears more likely they may be targeting Colts WRs T.Y. Hilton and Donte Moncrief along with Steelers WR Martavis Bryant.

Trade Pryor for anything. It's not working here. You could also bench him if a trade is not possible. The season is practically over but we still have a shot, though moves need to be made now. Put Quick or Harris in there. I'm certain they can be just as bad/ineffective as Pryor.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley was killing Pryor today.  Last week he more or less said cut bait.  Today he talked about how he was blocking with no oomph and effort citing a play where Chris Thompson could have broken a big run but Pryor avoided contact so no block to spring him loose.  More or less has suggested in multiple ways in different film studies that Pryor is soft.  He avoids contact as a blocker and as a receiver and it effects his ability to catch the ball.

I'm not saying he is great, just that him packaged with a pick would make someone jump. Teams love to think they can fix a guy with talent if the problem is engagement and that's what it is here. Before this year dude was the picture of an athlete. Now he's horrible at everything? Or is that the Redskins effect where we box out our own players then watch them preform elsewhere? I'm willing to bet someone thinks they can make it work. Who and for what....who knows. Ham Sammich?

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I'm not saying he is great, just that him packaged with a pick would make someone jump. Teams love to think they can fix a guy with talent if the problem is engagement and that's what it is here. Before this year dude was the picture of an athlete. Now he's horrible at everything? Or is that the Redskins effect where we box out our own players then watch them preform elsewhere? I'm willing to bet someone thinks they can make it work. Who and for what....who knows. Ham Sammich?

Chris Russell just now said he talked to an executive from another team who told him Pryor has a courage and attitude problem.  to your point, yeah I agree its mysterious how he hasn't been good here considering the way he played in Cleveland.  I liked the signing at the time.  I don't love though the descriptions of him as a guy who plays soft.  But he has time to turn it around.  He seems competitive so maybe he comes on with a vengence.

I'd like to see Brian Quick get a shot. This guy was a 2nd round pick of the Rams in 2012 so he had to be a stud in college. Im not a big fan of trading for anyone unless it was a one on one Pryor for whoever lol. Lets get real guys, We have been decimated by injurys and our offense doesn't appear as potent and consistent as the past few seasons, we aren't competing for anything this season. Lets let the chips fall where they may and address WR next season via the draft.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chris Russell just now said he talked to an executive from another team who told him Pryor has a courage and attitude problem

The attitude problem/ego are nothing new.  That's followed him all the way back to OSU.  I actually thought perhaps he's grown up a bit and humbled himself with this move to WR. But in a way it seems more like a slick move to extend his career and income. In fairness, he really hasn't show the attitude problem here.

Courage though, that has been on display here.  Lackadaisical is the word I've used often.

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chris Russell just now said he talked to an executive from another team who told him Pryor has a courage and attitude problem.  to your point, yeah I agree its mysterious how he hasn't been good here considering the way he played in Cleveland.  I liked the signing at the time.  I don't love though the descriptions of him as a guy who plays soft.  But he has time to turn it around.  He seems competitive so maybe he comes on with a vengence.

I sure hope so but even if it does unless he's amazing I wouldn't want him back to be honest 

Archived