Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

Alshon Jeffrey, Pryor, Sammy Watkins, Kendall Wright, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews, Paul Richardson, Jarvis Landry, Davante Adams, and Donte Moncrief are FA's.... And they wont cost us a 3rd. 

TY Hilton might get cut, as could Robert Woods and Torrey Smith

16 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Why does everyone keep hanging on to "Josh Gordon"?  He's been suspended MULTIPLE times, has never learned his lesson and loves weed more than football.

At this point on a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being the most probable) for me to want us to acquire him, it would be a -4.  Seriously.  He's not even in play at this point.  His career is OVER.  He's literally one "ash from a blunt" from a lifetime ban.

Give it up.

My thoughts exactly.  If he could not control his urges with so much to lose there is no way I want this guy.  He can't be trusted.  

16 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Except for 2020, each season includes 2M in signing bonus.  I still think it's too much for TY Hilton.  We see who TY Hilton is with no QB right now, which is not very good.  We could end up with no QB and a 15M receiver.  No thanks.

He's 11th in the league still in yards with no QB.  Which is about 300 yards better than our best WR, and we have a QB. He's still getting loose as the only threat on a bad offense with no QB.  He's basically DJax, only you can feed him 10 times a game.

But yes, that is a lot if money, I'm just disputing he's showing he isnt good without Luck.

19 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

Alshon Jeffrey, Pryor, Sammy Watkins, Kendall Wright, Marquise Lee, Jordan Matthews, Paul Richardson, Jarvis Landry, Davante Adams, and Donte Moncrief are FA's.... And they wont cost us a 3rd. 

TY Hilton might get cut, as could Robert Woods and Torrey Smith

QUICK! Somebody email Bruce!  There's no way he actually knows any of that. 

21 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

We've had our share of 'suspended guys'.

So, no thanks...

I see no problem on taking a flier on a potential talent who could be suspended.  I see a BIG problem with counting on them to do anything.  If he's just the cherry-on-top, sure, why the hell not?  If he gets suspended, you release him and no harm done.

If you sign him with the thought he is going to be a contributor, that's just ridiculously stupid.  

20 hours ago, drowland said:

Tanard Jackson agrees

Tanard Jackson.  Now there's a name I have not heard in a long time.  A long time...

20 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Looking to replace Crowder? Why? Grant I understand....even though he has been okay this season, his ceiling is obvious, but why would they be looking to replace Crowder?

Crowder is fine as a #3.  He's the most dependent WR on the roster.  He needs outside WRs to pull coverage and then he can exploit the middle of the field.  Reed is similar, but he can actually create on his own.  When healthy.  Which is, you know, never.  

19 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

This one hurts.

Wtf Bruce?

We're headed to 3-7 minus a miracle, why would you trade a 3rd for anybody?  

We dont need another WR.  We just need to throw it to the ones we have.  Just dont throw the ball to TP, and you are fine.  I still cant fathom why we arent throwing the ball much more to Doctson.

Grant, Crowder, and Pryor have been targeted 107 times, and have 3 TDs.  Doctson has been targeted only 17 times, and has 3 TDs(and almost a 4th against the Chiefs).  The guy just makes plays, we need to finally start feeding him the ball.

Crowder isn't earning #1 or #2 money now. His production was clearly the result of Djax and Garcon and a healthy Reed and the defense conceding and letting him get his. Now that defenses don't have to worry about 2 of those 3 and Reed's gonna be on the injury report every week, they can just roll coverage to his direction and he can't beat it..

We're gonna have to add another WR, I'd prefer through the draft though.. Its gonna be real hard watching this team from here on out, our defense isn't the same group of guys that destroyed Oakland a month ago. Our Oline is done, I'm starting to do other things on Sunday compared to less than a month ago.

We've taken a big step backward in the trenches, and although we will get some of them back, we're still in trouble for the remainder of the year.  

With that in mind, I'd pull Quick into the mix and just roll with the guys we have. What I'd be tempted to do actually is cut Pryor and Quick and call up Harris and Davis... you know, guys that might actually have a future here.  Gotta wait till the team's healthier though.  

18 hours ago, Peregrine said:

We dont need another WR.  We just need to throw it to the ones we have.  Just dont throw the ball to TP, and you are fine.  I still cant fathom why we arent throwing the ball much more to Doctson.

Grant, Crowder, and Pryor have been targeted 107 times, and have 3 TDs.  Doctson has been targeted only 17 times, and has 3 TDs(and almost a 4th against the Chiefs).  The guy just makes plays, we need to finally start feeding him the ball.

17 hours ago, skinny21 said:

We've taken a big step backward in the trenches, and although we will get some of them back, we're still in trouble for the remainder of the year.  

With that in mind, I'd pull Quick into the mix and just roll with the guys we have. What I'd be tempted to do actually is cut Pryor and Quick and call up Harris and Davis... you know, guys that might actually have a future here.  Gotta wait till the team's healthier though.  

I agree, Harris, Davis or Quick, IDC you gotta give any guy a shot. 

If you really want to look at why the receiving corps is bad is a combunation of things. Bad Route running by the WR's  and bad QB play at times from Cousins. for example, look at plays where there is a 3rd and 6 or 7. Our Wr's go 5 yards and get tackled short of the line of scrimmage. Grant and Reid have done that numerous times in numerous games. Is that the WR's fault or is that coaching, scheme, or both? Then take a look at Cousins for example. He has thrown balls too high, too wide, or too low so the catches are not as easy to make. Timing has been the biggest issue along with the trust factor. Crowder has been non-existent and the only reliable pass catchers have been Reid, Davis and Thompson. Two TE's and a RB.

I think that it has to do with coaching and technique of the players that is the biggest issue. Ike Hillard was a very good receiver but is he able to make other receivers better through coaching? If you look at route running for the Redskins you don't see very good route running by any of them other than Vernon Davis and Crowder. Anyone can run straight up the field but can you put a move on a corner and make him look bad or get separation from them? Look at the best receivers in the NFL and through NFL history and you don't see them running away from people because of just speed but it is and has always been about route running and good technique. Look at Jerry Rice, Fred Bilenikoff, Steve Largent, Art Monk, Charley Taylor, and Marvin Harrison. None of these were speedsters but very precise route runners  and are all Hall of Famers. They mastered their craft.

Look at the best WR's of today  and people think of Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald and DeAndre Hopkins because they are always in the top 10 to 15 of all of receiving. Why? Because of route running and not speed even tough Antonio Brown is a speedster. Brown runs very good routes on every play that gives his QB the best chance to throw it to him. It also helps that these guys also have very good pass catching skills. They mastered their craft and they never take plays off like others do. They also work hard to get open when their QB is in trouble so the QB has a outlet. That is why Cousins ignores some of his receivers because of poor route running and drop passes. So it isn't all on the receiving corps and that makes the Redskins passing attack predictable.   

On 11/1/2017 at 1:34 PM, Peregrine said:

You can't say "We don't need another WR"  with Ryan Grant as a starting WR on your team.  It's a statement that makes no sense.  The reason that Crowder is limited is because Grant is physically limited.  The reason that the running game gets stuffed (well, one of them) is that Grant is physically limited.  The reason that the middle of the field is always clogged up is because defenses can just stick their worst DB on Grant and figure that he's going to be completely banketed the entire game. 

He's a find #4 or #5 WR, and a good guy to have on your team.  Penciling him as a starter is criminally stupid, and quite frankly, should cost somebody their job.  Because they didn't even TRY to fix the problem.  Remember, as Gruded said in last week's presser, both Doctson and Pryor play the X, and Grant plays the Z.  So he was the starter at Z from the get-go.

That fact, and that fact alone, should cost people their jobs.  To allow that to happen is so blatantly incompetent it's beyond the realm of reason.  

23 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Crowder isn't earning #1 or #2 money now. His production was clearly the result of Djax and Garcon and a healthy Reed and the defense conceding and letting him get his. Now that defenses don't have to worry about 2 of those 3 and Reed's gonna be on the injury report every week, they can just roll coverage to his direction and he can't beat it..

Grant is best when he's working on the inside against safeties and LBs, and can make a wiggle and go.  But because Pryor stinks, Doctson is inconsistent, and Grant has the NFL talent equivalent of a slow sloth, they're trying to play Crowder more outside, where he has to go up against DBs.  It's not his game.  It's never been, nor is going to be, his game.  

It's the same thing that Gibbs did with ARE.  Get a great slot receiver, and then because you have no-talent-ass-clowns at WR, put him on the outside where he can't be as effective.  

Again, anybody who DIDN'T see this coming (at least in the organization) is a fool.  Myself and several other posters commented on this being a problem IN MAY.  

23 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

We're gonna have to add another WR, I'd prefer through the draft though.. Its gonna be real hard watching this team from here on out, our defense isn't the same group of guys that destroyed Oakland a month ago. Our Oline is done, I'm starting to do other things on Sunday compared to less than a month ago.

We need 2 new WRs.  You can't count on Doctson unless the switch flips at some point the rest of the year.  And you need to spend some money to get them.

That might be easier if you didn't have to pay your very good but not great QB the highest contract in the history of the league.  

18 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Gruden was intent on proving a point with Grant, and that's a roster spot that could've been otherwise used; or at least we could've got Josh more involved in this offense earlier on.

Yes.  Yes he was.  He had a quote, somebody asked him what he was going to do if they lost Garcon and DJax, and he said, "Oh, I'm not going to flinch.  I've got Ryan Grant, and Doctson, and that guy on the practice squad. We'll get them ready to go."  (He used his name, I don't remember it, and since he didn't even make the team, I'm not going to bother looking it up.

That's a fine thing to say to the public.  But behind closed doors, he should have said, "YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY EXPECT ME TO PUT AN NFL OFFENSE ON THE FIELD STARTING RYAN ******** GRANT!!!! GET SOMEBODY BETTER.  I DON'T CARE HOW.  OR I QUIT!"  

But I'm pretty sure he said the same thing behind closed doors.  Which is reason #14169 that he should be fired back into the arena league.  Guy doesn't know NFL talent.  

At this point I am not absolving the coaching staff.  We know that Gruden scripts the first 15 or so plays every game, right?  So why not take Doctson and design plays to put the ball in his hands to get an idea of what he can do.  Try to use 5 or so of those first 15 to get him into a rhythm. Get him and Cousins some chemistry going.  Surely Doctson can catch a screen pass, or run a slant, or run a crossing route? 

I am watching games across the NFL where no-name WRs get open and at least make somewhat of an impact.  I am not saying Pryor & Doctson are just waiting to break out, but I am sure they have the ability to do more then what they are doing right now. 

@NoCalMike I agree.  

Amd they should get their heir most talented players on the field and try to get them the ball.  If for no other reason they need the reps for next year.  

Pryor probably won't be back, but if you can get him more work and confidence, maybe he turns the corner a bit.

theres no reason Grant should ever see the field.  Except that he is the starter at the Z position, and Pryor and Doctson are both X.

Thats because Gruden is a fool.

I'm a fan of Kirk's, but he absolutely needs to hold up his end of the bargain - mainly getting Doctson the ball.  Thing is, if he does that (assuming they have some success there), it helps his guys in the middle/underneath - Thompson, Davis, Crowder and Reed (sure, fine... add Grant in that mix) and can potentially help the run game.  

There's the other side of the bargain too though.  When - whether it's due to a lack of time together, drops, poor routes, lack of health - Kirk is left with one good weapon (Thompson) and 1 decent weapon (Davis), it's just asking a lot for him to succeed and to trust most of these guys.  

I believe that Doctson can perhaps fill the Jackson void (not exactly the same way, but maybe in aggregate) and that someone like Harris or Quick can maybe be a lesser version of Garçon - the chain-moving, fairly reliable pass catcher.  They won't be as good as the previous duo, but with the emergence of Thompson, they don't have to be.  Sure would be nice to have Crowder and Reed healthy (relatively) and productive too.  

Archived