Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

On 12/1/2022 at 10:07 AM, justice98 said:

Probably shouldnt say this out loud, but Joey Slye has made 7 straight FGs from 50+ going back to last year. 

And he's 91% (41-45) on all FGs since last year, but only 85% on XPs (35-4

Thanks a lot. 

• Haha 2

Question about the cap.  Over the cap says we have 19.3M available for 2023 and we have 6.5M available for 2022.

Putting the need to find a center aside, does all of that 6.5 roll over to ‘23?  Is that already baked in the ‘23 number? And is the ‘23 number a guesstimate of what the cap will be or is it using a static number that could be increased before the new league year?

21 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Question about the cap.  Over the cap says we have 19.3M available for 2023 and we have 6.5M available for 2022.

Putting the need to find a center aside, does all of that 6.5 roll over to ‘23?  Is that already baked in the ‘23 number? And is the ‘23 number a guesstimate of what the cap will be or is it using a static number that could be increased before the new league year?

- It is operating on the assumption that the cap will be set at 225 next year. I really don't think that is set in stone and is just their estimation of what it is likely to be around so it could end up being higher. From experience, I think they usually end up low-balling it and it is usually a little bit higher.

-I think our 19 M in cap space does include a 6.5 carryover.

225 (Cap ceiling) - 212 (Our committed cap to 2023) = 13

13 + 6 (Our potential carry over) = 19

19 M in cap space for 2023

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:07 AM, justice98 said:

Probably shouldnt say this out loud, but Joey Slye has made 7 straight FGs from 50+ going back to last year. 

And he's 91% (41-45) on all FGs since last year, but only 85% on XPs (35-41).  

Yep….I was right, you jinxed him. I think you should be forced to apologize to Joey Slye, AND be given a month long ban, as a punishment :P 

18 hours ago, Toe Jam said:

Thanks a lot. 

In my defense, Kenny Albert said it before the kick, so we dont REALLY know who's to blame.  lol

25 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yep….I was right, you jinxed him. I think you should be forced to apologize to Joey Slye, AND be given a month long ban, as a punishment :P 

I dont think I ever rooted for a kick to go in more than that one just for remembering I said that.  Lesson learned.  lol

• Haha 1

If anyone is on twitter (still) there are usually daily twitter spaces for Commanders fans to talk about all things related to the team, pre game, post game, weekly victory or defeat therapy sessions.  We also invite fans of our opponent in for "war rooms" where we give predictions and analysis for why we think what we think.   It is pretty fun.  They can get a bit spicy sometimes, more so the War room spaces, but for the most part it's just to chat with fans about the team. 

If anyone is interested, feel free to join any time, even if you just want to pop in as a listener and don't want to talk.

On 12/21/2022 at 10:36 PM, Conn said:

Amazing video. That’s what you call culture change. Tress is crying for Jeremy Reaves, that’s honestly a beautiful thing and what sports are supposed to be all about. 

This is why you can't count this team out.....the pieces are in place, we need to finish the puzzle and find the missing link (QB).

I don't typically cry, but gosh that Jeremy Reaves video had me tearing up big time yesterday.  I was in the Frankfurt Airport lounge straight crying my eyes out.  Seeing Tress get emotional started it, then seeing Jeremy crying hugging Coach Rivera and coach telling him he was proud of him was it for me.  Things like that make me love this team.

Never give up, always keep fighting for yourself and your team.  All goals are possible.  Love you all, merry Christmas.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Could someone please tell me what constitutes a false start now a days?

It used to be once the line was set if there was any movement whatsoever it was a false start.

Now it seems as though the center can bob his head up and down, they can point at the defense, they can turn their heads back to look at the quarterback but if they are motionless and accidentally twitch in the tiniest slightest bit, it's a false start.

I would love it if someone could tell me how the rule is written to allow all the intentional movement but none accidental of any kind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

Could someone please tell me what constitutes a false start now a days?

It used to be once the line was set if there was any movement whatsoever it was a false start.

Now it seems as though the center can bob his head up and down, they can point at the defense, they can turn their heads back to look at the quarterback but if they are motionless and accidentally twitch in the tiniest slightest bit, it's a false start.

I would love it if someone could tell me how the rule is written to allow all the intentional movement but none accidental of any kind.

That's Rule 7, Section 4, article 2:

ARTICLE 2. FALSE START. It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive
player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player
who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive
player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start.
Exception: This does not apply to an offensive player under the center who turns his head or shoulders, unless the movement
is an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.
Note: See 4-6-5-d, for actions by a defensive player who attempts to cause an offensive player to commit a false start

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/pre-snap-fouls/

For the video explaining it.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2022-nfl-rulebook/

For the whole rulebook.

But I used to be like you where players just couldn't move at all.

• Like 1

Yeah I saw that rule when I googled it and it kind of makes sense I guess.

I get why false start penalties exist and I get the whole "simulate the start of the play thing" I just don't get how a referee can easily distinguish between a tiny flinch and an intentional motion that to my mind is far more "simulating" than a tiny flinch.

I've been noticing it get progressively worse and worse and watching the chargers game last night it really stood out. 

The left guard on every single snap would raise his arm and point straight at the man in front of him, he wasn't pointing at different players trying to call out protections he would just point straight ahead every play, it was very obvious it was just allowed motion so to speak.

Also the center would do that crazy head bob that never used to be allowed and suddenly on one play a defender crossed the line and they called false start for it.

If it's a flash start because the defender crossed the line then its false start every other play too, it shouldn't matter what the defense does to determine a false start.

It just feels like more and more the lineman are moving all over the place in an effort to avoid accidentally flinching and they need to revisit the rule because it makes very little sense to me anymore the way it is being applied 

My two cents anyway.

6 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

ARTICLE 2. FALSE START. It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive
player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player
who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive
player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start.
Exception: This does not apply to an offensive player under the center who turns his head or shoulders, unless the movement
is an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.

2a.  A false start shall be deemed to have occurred on any play that has resulted in either a first down or a touchdown by the Washington franchise, unless a more severe penalty has already been invented.

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2