Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

On 7/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, Koolblue13 said:

So excited for camp to start. I'm getting hernia surgery next Tuesday, so I'll be bored af, hoped up on goofballs and living on here.  :ols:

I've had a sports hernia surgery and later tore it a second time.

If they tell you to put an ice pack on it, be careful about that advice. Don't want a patch of consolidated blood in that space. It will take weeks to diffuse a big clot that would have otherwise diffused. They might give you instructions for cold compress with the intention of constricting the veins to slow blood flow in the surgical area. What they won't explain is you can create a clot that will take a long time to diffuse. Personally I wouldn't apply cold pack except right after surgery for about 15 min. After that only short instance if there's sign of runaway bleeding. Minimize movement and take home a urinal so you can pee in bed. Pain isn't a big issue FYI. Good Luck! 

21 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

I've had a sports hernia surgery and later tore it a second time.

If they tell you to put an ice pack on it, be careful about that advice. Don't want a patch of consolidated blood in that space. It will take weeks to diffuse a big clot that would have otherwise diffused. They might give you instructions for cold compress with the intention of constricting the veins to slow blood flow in the surgical area. What they won't explain is you can create a clot that will take a long time to diffuse. Personally I wouldn't apply cold pack except right after surgery for about 15 min. After that only short instance if there's sign of runaway bleeding. Minimize movement and take home a urinal so you can pee in bed. Pain isn't a big issue FYI. Good Luck! 

Its umbilical. 

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Its umbilical. 

I’ve had umbilical hernia (gangrenous as defined by Dr) and it was not bad. In my instance I did have to stay overnight in the hospital due to the infectious nature of my hernia. They wanted to be sure that was under control. The surgery itself was not bad at all though. They ended up using a wire mesh though because it was a large area.  Had pain for about 3-4 days and then followed orders on no lifting ect for about 6 weeks. All is well now with no reoccurrence. This was about 5 years ago. 

15 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I’ve had umbilical hernia (gangrenous as defined by Dr) and it was not bad. In my instance I did have to stay overnight in the hospital due to the infectious nature of my hernia. They wanted to be sure that was under control. The surgery itself was not bad at all though. They ended up using a wire mesh though because it was a large area.  Had pain for about 3-4 days and then followed orders on no lifting ect for about 6 weeks. All is well now with no reoccurrence. This was about 5 years ago. 

Cool. Thanks. Yeah, I'm getting the mesh too. Been going hard trying to get everything done that I might have to do if a hurricane hit in the next month. Been pretty stressful. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cool. Thanks. Yeah, I'm getting the mesh too. Been going hard trying to get everything done that I might have to do if a hurricane hit in the next month. Been pretty stressful. 

You’ll do great, and yeah, where you live, hurricane prep is a very good idea before the surgery as you will be down for a bit. Hang in there big guy & try not to stress out too much. On a side note, love what you do for animals.  Wife and I are adopting another rescue kitten (#5), an adorable snowshoe lynx point tabby kitten next week :) Love our fur children! 

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

You’ll do great, and yeah, where you live, hurricane prep is a very good idea before the surgery as you will be down for a bit. Hang in there big guy & try not to stress out too much. On a side note, love what you do for animals.  Wife and I are adopting another rescue kitten (#5), an adorable snowshoe lynx point tabby kitten next week :) Love our fur children! 

Thanks brother. After about 500 dogs in 8 years, I'm retired from rescue until I can fix my own ****ed up life. Also, first time in 8 years that I've had less than 12 dogs (generally around 20, only 3 now) andit's weird. That's why I'm getting the surgery. Next up, pulling some broken screws out of my ankle. Turned 49 a couple weeks ago and want to be killing it at 50.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thanks brother. After about 500 dogs in 8 years, I'm retired from rescue until I can fix my own ****ed up life. Also, first time in 8 years that I've had less than 12 dogs (generally around 20, only 3 now) andit's weird. That's why I'm getting the surgery. Next up, pulling some broken screws out of my ankle. Turned 49 a couple weeks ago and want to be killing it at 50.

Just turned 61 this month & going to see orthopedic surgeon on this coming Tuesday.  Have had 4 knee surgeries, (2 on each knee already-sports related) and was told 13 years ago that the next move will be knee replacement for me. Tweaked my left knee last Saturday and basically, knees gone. Can’t wait to see surgeon to get the ball rolling. I’d like to be killing it again, but at this point just want to be fully ambulatory again. Pain has been a part of my daily existence for over a decade & ready to address that and get back to living fully again.  For you, heal up and start killing it!  I will try to do the same, in a more modest way, on my end.  Best of luck to us both!  🍻

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Just turned 61 this month & going to see orthopedic surgeon on this coming Tuesday.  Have had 4 knee surgeries, (2 on each knee already-sports related) and was told 13 years ago that the next move will be knee replacement for me. Tweaked my left knee last Saturday and basically, knees gone. Can’t wait to see surgeon to get the ball rolling. I’d like to be killing it again, but at this point just want to be fully ambulatory again. Pain has been a part of my daily existence for over a decade & ready to address that and get back to living fully again.  For you, heal up and start killing it!  I will try to do the same, in a more modest way, on my end.  Best of luck to us both!  🍻

Cheers bro.. good luck.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:35 AM, Koolblue13 said:

My hernia was when I was a baby...dad said I wanted to pick up a piano, lol...which I eventually did...it's a long story

I've had no problems from it throughout life, and I'm 56.  Do what the doctor says and you'll be fine.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Man, when is the last time we had anything close to this level of fear regarding accountability from our players?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2022/08/05/patriots-rich-ohrnberger-bill-belichick-wrecked-car/10246737002/

I don't agree with what the player did, but man, no wonder BB won 6 SBs...

Yeah maybe next time just hit a guard rail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don Coryell, John Madden and how Joe Gibbs became an offensive coach.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/415214-don-coryell-passes-away-but-his-genius-lives-on

The Coryell coaching tree from his Aztec era is very impressive as well.

Joe Gibbs was a player on Coryell's team at first and won the team's Most Inspirational Player Award in 1963. Gibbs later became a graduate assistant, then assistant coach at San Diego State.

He also was an assistant under Coryell with both the Cardinals and Chargers before becoming head coach of the Washington Redskins. Gibbs is a member of the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

Another Pro Football Hall Of Fame coach who coached under Coryell at San Diego State was John Madden. Madden would join the Oakland Raiders in 1967, and then become the youngest head coach of the league the next season at 32 years old.

After a very successful stint with the Raiders, Madden became a popular NFL analyst on television and video game mogul.

Joe Gibbs' coaching career was almost cut short by Madden.

Gibbs was working under Madden, who was the defensive coordinator for Coryell. There was an annual spring football game approaching, and Coryell had Gibbs coach the team that would face Madden's team in the game.

Madden approached Gibbs and asked him what plays would be run, so Madden could prepare his team. Gibbs refused to disclose the plays, so Madden asked Coryell to mediate the situation.

Coryell told both Gibbs and Madden to treat it as real game, without the disclosure of plays to either side.

Gibbs team won that game. As the final gun sounded, both young coaches met at mid-field to shake hands. Madden fired Gibbs right there on the spot instead. Seeing a distraught Gibbs, Coryell then brought him over to the offensive side of the coaching staff.

The rest truly is history.

:o

:229:The Rook

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Really Snyder? Ya couldn't even get the new logo or name on the 2022 Xmas ornaments? 🤣

20220812_192318.thumb.jpg.af870cda265529785df84a94ad7b85fb.jpg

That's hilarious and predictable lol. It actually has more value now if you ask me 

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, tibbidoe said:

I lost the link to watch games online. Does somebody still have it?

I think you might be able to find that in the  "where do I watch games"  thread

I think you can click on links from there possibly