Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

I hate our fans, SO MUCH. On the teams twitter and Facebook post about Sean Taylor (for his birthday) and the memorial and the website to share memories of him, there are people saying “he was never a commander!!!” LMAOOOO nobody said he was😂😂😂 swear i lose braincells with each comment i read 😑

• 3 weeks later...

I've always known how much of my identity is tied to this team but it really sank in recently at my uncles funeral. 

As I was going through the receiving line I saw a cousin I haven't seen in 20 years and another cousin I've only seen a couple times in that same time frame. 

Both asked me what I thought about the new name.

With all the things they could have said that's what they chose. 

I don't think there is a person alive who knows me that doesn't automatically think about this team when they see me or hear my name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

I've always known how much of my identity is tied to this team but it really sank in recently at my uncles funeral. 

As I was going through the receiving line I saw a cousin I haven't seen in 20 years and another cousin I've only seen a couple times in that same time frame. 

I don't think there is a person alive who knows me that doesn't automatically think about this team when they see me or hear my name.

This used to be me with everybody who knew me until I was about 22-23. Im almost 33 now. As I’ve gotten older and met new peer groups etc. this aspect of me has been dialed down to the extreme. I’m still a big football fan, I pay attention to the league more as a fantasy player but I still (hate)watch nearly every Washington game and I’m on here almost every day. But the percentage of my personality it strongly informs has shrunk immensely over the years.

I haven’t supported the team with money since Griffin’s rookie season in 2012. Don’t own a single piece of merch now except an old ST21 jersey that is hung all the way at the end of the closet with the dress clothes I only wear to funerals and weddings. Almost nobody I’ve met in the last decade would put Washington football team fandom in the top 10 things they think of when they think about me, and that’s a big improvement from my point of view. I gained a ton of new interests and lots of perspective over the years (which is also just a normal part of aging) and while I’d say football fandom is still a larger hobby of mine, it’s not all-encompassing like it was when I was in college.

Only when I see people who met me in college or earlier does Washington even really come up. I’m not local, I live in Boston and have for almost a decade, so if football fandom doesn’t come up most people in my life wouldn’t even think to bring it up even if in the past I’ve mentioned it. This board is a daily habit and time-killer but the percentage of my life and identity this team takes up has shrunk considerably over the years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

Well, it has also been 20 years. And depending on your current age (presently unknown), you could have been 10 years old when they saw you last. And what the hell else would be worth talking about. 😂

Plus, who the hell knows anything about their cousins?! 😂 Once I started high school, I only see cousins at weddings and funerals.

Of course, it could be that they found nothing else in your life worth talking about! 😂 So F them!!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Conn said:

This used to be me with everybody who knew me until I was about 22-23. Im almost 33 now. As I’ve gotten older and met new peer groups etc. this aspect of me has been dialed down to the extreme. I’m still a big football fan, I pay attention to the league more as a fantasy player but I still (hate)watch nearly every Washington game and I’m on here almost every day. But the percentage of my personality it strongly informs has shrunk immensely over the years.

I haven’t supported the team with money since Griffin’s rookie season in 2012. Don’t own a single piece of merch now except an old ST21 jersey that is hung all the way at the end of the closet with the dress clothes I only wear to funerals and weddings. Almost nobody I’ve met in the last decade would put Washington football team fandom in the top 10 things they think of when they think about me, and that’s a big improvement from my point of view. I gained a ton of new interests and lots of perspective over the years (which is also just a normal part of aging) and while I’d say football fandom is still a larger hobby of mine, it’s not all-encompassing like it was when I was in college.

Only when I see people who met me in college or earlier does Washington even really come up. I’m not local, I live in Boston and have for almost a decade, so if football fandom doesn’t come up most people in my life wouldn’t even think to bring it up even if in the past I’ve mentioned it. This board is a daily habit and time-killer but the percentage of my life and identity this team takes up has shrunk considerably over the years. 

This sounds like you could have written it about me almost.

And as die hard said since I haven't seen them in so long that's probably why they automatically brought that up.

I also live in Massachusetts, not Boston but I work in Boston all the time.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 5:25 PM, Idaho fan said:

Never ever again will I fly out of Venice.  Love Italy and the Italians but damn that airport is jacked up.  Been trying to get home since Friday.  3 days of flight issues.  Hope to make it home tonight 

Happy Easter 

12ABA0F0-B87D-4851-B380-A62663CC974D.gif

• Haha 2

Team 980 is reporting DeAngelo Hall has been replaced by London Fletcher for the radio broadcast.

I did not like the 3 person booth they had last year.  I thought Cooley was good a few years ago.

I just tuned out out their broadcasts whenever possible.  It was like the team last year was a JV broadcasting team.

I did not like any of them really.  No Hall of Fame broadcasters to select from now.  What about Darrell Green?

5 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Team 980 is reporting DeAngelo Hall has been replaced by London Fletcher for the radio broadcast.

I did not like the 3 person booth they had last year.  I thought Cooley was good a few years ago.

I just tuned out out their broadcasts whenever possible.  It was like the team last year was a JV broadcasting team.

I did not like any of them really.  No Hall of Fame broadcasters to select from now.  What about Darrell Green?

DHall knew what he was talking about, felt Julie was trying too hard when she first started then calmed down.  I'd listen to Bmitch on radio, but he's already doing pregame and post-game TV.

• Thumb up 1

Been thinking about the DT situation. Most of us, including me, thought it was a mistake to cut Ion and lose Settle, too. The consensus seems to be that we needed to resign Settle on the cheap (which is what he signed elsewhere for) to keep the rotation. The thought occurs to me, "What if that wasn't possible?"

What if Settle sees himself as a starter and thinks he could never get a shot to fill that role in Washington? What if other teams offered him the chance to compete for a starting position and that was just really more attractive? If so, the story changes. Then, the question becomes if they knew that it was really unlikely that we could get Settle back should we have cut Ion for the cap savings? And I think the answer there is trickier because this coaching staff has never seen good Ion and he was cap expensive.

Still, the situation reeks of bad planning. But I do wonder if Settle's departure is less about Washington blowing it than it is about Settle wanting to be elsewhere.

This morning on the radio Kevin Sheehan picked the Eagles to win the division and the Commanders to come in third place.

He said he really likes Jalen Hurts at quarterback for the Eagles.  He likes the draft picks the Eagles got and of course their new receiver.

18 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

This morning on the radio Kevin Sheehan picked the Eagles to win the division and the Commanders to come in third place.

He said he really likes Jalen Hurts at quarterback for the Eagles.  He likes the draft picks the Eagles got and of course their new receiver.

That's not too wild of a thought. They finished second last year. Problem is that that they're evaluating on paper. I'm not convinced that Hurts can be the QB to bring those weapons to life. Can he connect with Brown and take advantage of his skills? I don't really see it. I think they're going to be a running team again with occasional weapons. Plus his running exposes him to injuries more. Plus the league figures out running QBs after a few years if they don't adapt. I don't see him adapting so I'm not so high on that train. But I can understand them being a sexy anti dallas pick. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

IF that happens, with everything going in the Skins' favor this year (easiest schedule, all the weapons Ron wants, the QB Ron wants, and it being Year 3), then sans massive injuries, Ron and his FO should be fired, IMHO.  It would be nothing short of a disaster for this team to finish in 3rd place this year barring massive injuries. 

I don't want to hear anything about "But, but...the next coach isn't going to be as good, etc.".  IF Ron and his crew can't do better than 3rd in the division in his 3rd year with everything aligning the way Ron wants, he simply will never be the answer.  You stick with that kind of product just because the next coach probably won't be as good?  That's just asinine.  In that scenario, you aren't even winning NOW, in the present.  You have to keep reaching up if you have any pride.

The Skins aren't even being considered by the pundits in the division leader race.  It's always discussed as a foregone conclusion that it'll be the Eagles or Cowboys.  Washington and NY aren't even mentioned.  That alone should be massive motivation for this organization.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Is there a thread where we're allowed to discuss, and criticize Dan Snyder?

I'm amazed it's not the hottest topic.

Uh……do you not see the front office/ownership thread? Have you looked inside there at all? It’s full of Snyder bashing 😂 i cant believe this is a serious question lmaoooo 

13 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Uh……do you not see the front office/ownership thread? Have you looked inside there at all? It’s full of Snyder bashing 😂 i cant believe this is a serious question lmaoooo 

No, I haven't.  That's why I was asking.  That thread title is vague compared to what it should be: "Snyder Needs to GO".

Sorry I didn't zero-in on that thread.

Why are you still a passive aggressive keyboard warrior?  Grow up and just answer the question.  

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

No, I haven't.  That's why I was asking.  That thread title is vague compared to what it should be: "Snyder Needs to GO".

Sorry I didn't zero-in on that thread.

Why are you still a passive aggressive keyboard warrior?  Grow up and just answer the question.  

I did answer the question :) the front office/ownership thread. It’s right there in my reply. I thought your question was silly, so I laughed at it and gave it the reply it deserved :) you’re welcome. 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I did answer the question :) the front office/ownership thread. It’s right there in my reply. I thought your question was silly, so I laughed at it and gave it the reply it deserved :) you’re welcome. 

I saw your answer, but you did it in a way where you had to insult me for not being an internet forum addict like your frail ass.  Try to type like you'd talk to people in real life.  Cuz thems fighting words.

5 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I saw your answer, but you did it in a way where you had to insult me for not being an internet forum addict like your frail ass.  Try to type like you'd talk to people in real life.  Cuz thems fighting words.

If that’s how you took my reply, then i am sorry. It wasn’t meant to be an insult in any way, just thought it was funny that anyone (i would’ve laughed about anyone missing the thread, not just you) could have not seen all the Snyder bashing in that thread the past two years. 

No insult intended at all :) 

after all, you’re a regular here so i figured you had to have been in that thread at some point the last two years since the allegations started coming 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993