Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

2 hours ago, Conn said:

There should absolutely be two byes. They’d have plenty of games to fill the network’s prime time schedules. While we’re on the topic, I wish they’d kill Thursday night football except for special events/holidays. Better for player health, team preparation, league fairness…and as a viewer and FF player, nice to have a good chunk of the week in a row where I don’t need to worry about a game being played. The product is mediocre, they’ll never give up those extra prime time dollars but man I wish they’d reel it back in. 

I remember Cooley on with Sheehan a few years ago talking about the length of the season being brutal for guys. Its not just the season but with Camp starting in late july and sometimes your bye in say week 4 thats still late september october with contact. Then you have an additional 2-3 months during the season. 

• Like 2

"Why is it important for you all to handle Jack's comments in-house?"

This was obviously asked by someone young who is accustomed to the "LOOKATME!!!" social media of the day, attention whoring and etcetera. You handle your business in-house. He was fined. That's the end of the media narrative. The players have a relationship with a guy, regardless his actual performance as a DC. That is the part that is handled in-house.

Maybe it's still the second-generation Sicilian immigrant thing in me, but those conversations don't belong in the national picture. You do your laundry at home.

• Like 1

Just heard Team 980 is changing their lineup.  Medhurst and Russell will move from the afternoon to middays slot.   Some new guy I have never heard of will take over their slot.

I listened to him talk about himself for the last 15 minutes so not impressed so far.  It will not be a two person team to cover the drive home time slot.  I am sure Sheehan will keep his time slot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just heard Team 980 is changing their lineup.  Medhurst and Russell will move from the afternoon to middays slot.   Some new guy I have never heard of will take over their slot.

I listened to him talk about himself for the last 15 minutes so not impressed so far.  It will not be a two person team to cover the drive home time slot.  I am sure Sheehan will keep his time slot.

The guy taking over their slot is Craig Hoffman he was the Commanders beat guy on 106.7 a few years ago. 

On 6/15/2022 at 11:25 AM, Conn said:

There should absolutely be two byes. They’d have plenty of games to fill the network’s prime time schedules. While we’re on the topic, I wish they’d kill Thursday night football except for special events/holidays. Better for player health, team preparation, league fairness…and as a viewer and FF player, nice to have a good chunk of the week in a row where I don’t need to worry about a game being played. The product is mediocre, they’ll never give up those extra prime time dollars but man I wish they’d reel it back in. 

I absolutely enjoy watching an extra game every week on a Thursday night. It gives you something to look forward to and it kinda jumpstarts the football weekend for you. It kinda sucks when it’s your own team but it’s only a once a year thing and almost every team has to deal with it at some point.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

The guy taking over their slot is Craig Hoffman he was the Commanders beat guy on 106.7 a few years ago.

I always like Craig.  I'm not sure I would give him a solo afternoon drive-time show thought...

There is a thread for this in the Tailgate.

Bram has said this countless times, and take it for what it's worth because he's on a competitor radio station, but Audicy is running 980 as the kid-brother station really only to make sure 106.7 doesn't have competition.  Finding the station Bram is on is almost impossible.  I only listen to him on podcasts.  I'm not sure if that helps his ratings at all, I hope it does.

But 980 has basically become the kid brother station with the second tier talent and not a lot going on over there.  It's a pity.  The 106.7 lineup isn't great either.  

The market needs an infusion of new talent from somewhere.  It's basically the same folks over and over and over, just re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic.  

And of all the guys who SHOULD have a prime spot, Galdi, he's not on the air anywhere and just podcasting his everloving heart out.  I love his podcast, so I hope it stays that way.  But he should be a feature voice in this market.  I don't think there's anybody better. (Except he needs to stop having Thor Nystrom on. :P )

• Like 2

Anyone else get an email from Direct TV that they are getting NFL Ticket Max for free this season?  They gave it to me for free last season as well but I either never got the email or accidentally deleted it and didn't even know until I called them to pay for it up front.  This time I got the email (today).  No idea why I am getting it for free (again), maybe they are looking at long time customers and trying to keep them incentivized  not to drop the service?  There really hasn't been any explanation as to why, but I'll take it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:21 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I always like Craig.  I'm not sure I would give him a solo afternoon drive-time show thought...

There is a thread for this in the Tailgate.

Bram has said this countless times, and take it for what it's worth because he's on a competitor radio station, but Audicy is running 980 as the kid-brother station really only to make sure 106.7 doesn't have competition.  Finding the station Bram is on is almost impossible.  I only listen to him on podcasts.  I'm not sure if that helps his ratings at all, I hope it does.

But 980 has basically become the kid brother station with the second tier talent and not a lot going on over there.  It's a pity.  The 106.7 lineup isn't great either.  

The market needs an infusion of new talent from somewhere.  It's basically the same folks over and over and over, just re-arranging deck chairs on the titanic.  

And of all the guys who SHOULD have a prime spot, Galdi, he's not on the air anywhere and just podcasting his everloving heart out.  I love his podcast, so I hope it stays that way.  But he should be a feature voice in this market.  I don't think there's anybody better. (Except he needs to stop having Thor Nystrom on. :P )

I agree with you about Galdi.  He is really on top of his game and deserves a higher profile in the DC area on the radio.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:21 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

But 980 has basically become the kid brother station with the second tier talent and not a lot going on over there

Sheehan is holding the entire station together. Far and away the best talent in the area. I think 1067 people outside of JP are just awful. Thank god for Galdi podcast.

20 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Was just reading that the daughter of Alex Smith has had emergency brain surgery on a malignant tumor. Shocking for the former QB and his family. Hopefully all is well moving forward, life is precious. 

I read that the surgery was in May, and that it was successful in removing 100% of the tumor. 

• Like 5

On 6/23/2022 at 6:46 PM, NoCalMike said:

Anyone else get an email from Direct TV that they are getting NFL Ticket Max for free this season?  They gave it to me for free last season as well but I either never got the email or accidentally deleted it and didn't even know until I called them to pay for it up front.  This time I got the email (today).  No idea why I am getting it for free (again), maybe they are looking at long time customers and trying to keep them incentivized  not to drop the service?  There really hasn't been any explanation as to why, but I'll take it!

Yep I got the same email. Very pleasant surprise. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Whouda thunk the Commanders would look the best resigning their best player in Terry while Nats offer over $425 million Soto while hitting .224 and Wizards offer Beal quarter billion fn dollars after averaging 23ppg???

NBA and MLB contracts are insane given the NFL makes exponentially more money.  Why?  The owners have owned D. Smith in CBA negotiations. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

NBA and MLB contracts are insane given the NFL makes exponentially more money.  Why?  The owners have owned D. Smith in CBA negotiations. 

It's not the overall money I'm pointing out here, it's actually paying Terry fairly given his production and even with 3 years, so given how young he is, he could get paid bigger later, and protects us incase he's not the same guy three years from now.

Beal wasn't nearly as good as Terry was last year yet getting supermax.  Soto is terrifyingly bad this year yet getting offered the 2nd largest contract in baseball history.  The Wizards and Nats caving like that to players clearly not worth that right now makes the Commanders look like geniuses. 

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Renegade7 said:

It's not the overall money I'm pointing out here, it's actually paying a Terry fairly given his production and even with 3 years, so given how young he is, he could get paid bigger, and protects us incase he's not the same guy three years from now.

Beal wasn't nearly as good as Terry was last year yet getting supermax.  Soto is terrifyingly bad this year yet getting offered the 2nd largest contract in baseball history.  The Wizards and Nats caving like that to players clearly not worth that right now makes the Commanders look like geniuses. 

Oh I got your point. 

Im just adding the MBA and MLB contracts are bananas.

• Like 1

Been watching old NFL games (mainly skins from 2012-2016/17/18) and man….I feel like this is the most talented offense ON PAPER that we’ve had since 2012, 2015, and 2016. Watching the 4 game win streaks from 2015 and 2016, I HOPE we can have that type of season this year with wentz. 

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Been watching old NFL games (mainly skins from 2012-2016/17/18) and man….I feel like this is the most talented offense ON PAPER that we’ve had since 2012, 2015, and 2016. Watching the 4 game win streaks from 2015 and 2016, I HOPE we can have that type of season this year with wentz. 

You're doing it wrong. :nono:

You need to watch old games from 1981-1991. :cheers:

• Like 1