Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

I just found this....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000608302/Sound-FX-Kirk-Cousins

Video clips and audio of Cousins miked up in the Bills game... man chills up my side.  there's also an interesting conversation between Cousins and I think McVey?

there's a thread on it too, pretty epic stuff, i think there's a 2nd video too with some more clips

Yeah let's not get ahead of ourselves. Cousins is playing great and Gruden has improved quite a bit it seems but damn we are only 7-7. We could still crash and burn the next two weeks and go 3-13 next year. Again, we the Redskins.

I have no doubt that this record would be 1-2 games better if we had not been bitten by the injury bug (big time) since day 1. Just look at how Cousins is clicking with DJax and Reed, I mean if they had the chance to  have been working together all along god knows how much better this offense would be.  The defense has had the same issue injuries and not just some injuries, multiple injuries and season ending injuries to important keys to our team,

I just found this....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000608302/Sound-FX-Kirk-Cousins

Video clips and audio of Cousins miked up in the Bills game... man chills up my side.  there's also an interesting conversation between Cousins and I think McVey?

yeah "I Like That" sends some chills up my spine. Love his enthusiasm!  

The conversation with mcvay on the sideline is very cool and all, but maybe don't get too excited kirk lol....can't just sling it 80% of the time from here on out. That's flirting with "**** it im going deep" territory.

I know he's saying, foot on the gas with a lead, but it's still ideal to have a strong run game and that should obviously be the focus this offseason or even In the possible playoffs.

The McVay part where he acknowledges that he's learning too in the context of keeping the pedal on the gas after taking a lead now -- I like a lot.  For the most part I am pleased with this offense my main beef has been them getting conservative a bit early in the game after taking a lead (shades to me of Gibbs II) but it was cool to see Kirk and McVay discuss it -- at the very least they are aware and on it.

It was obvious that the gameplan early on was to lean on the run and don't put Cousins in bad spots, but right now this team is at its best when Cousins is allowed to just go out and sling it. We win or lose on Cousins's passing. Its a little scary but also very exciting knowing we have a QB that can win games with his arm.

The conversation with mcvay on the sideline is very cool and all, but maybe don't get too excited kirk lol....can't just sling it 80% of the time from here on out. That's flirting with "**** it im going deep" territory.

I know he's saying, foot on the gas with a lead, but it's still ideal to have a strong run game and that should obviously be the focus this offseason or even In the possible playoffs.

I found that part of the piece really cool to hear. Because, we've been talking about it for the last few months and hearing him confirm some of the things that were being said here was neat. The play calling - McVay - being aggressive with a lead - and the idea that we were conservative earlier in the season because Kirk hadn't shown enough to be given the ball to win games. I think I even heard McVay say "I'm learning".

One other thing that stood out to me in that piece was all the back shoulder throws. Look out next week, I bet opposing coaches have seen that and are planning for it. Be careful.

I like how Kirk praises garcon and jackson effusively. He even has something nice to say to the Bills players.

I get the feeling from the conversation with McVay that Cousins has been lobbying to be more aggressive with the lead ever since Dallas, and I'm glad he has.

That Dallas loss was more due to an overly conservative approach on offense than anything, imo.

Just wondering.

Has a team ever put the tag on one QB, waived them, then put the tag on another QB?  I can't recall that happening before.

We didn't tag rg3 we just picked up his option.

But man Kirk is playing some good ball. We are looking to sign him long term but wouldn't be surprised if we tagged him either

Right now this offense should be passing to set up the run.

We didn't tag rg3 we just picked up his option.

But man Kirk is playing some good ball. We are looking to sign him long term but wouldn't be surprised if we tagged him either

Whoops, yeah, forgot it was the option, not the tag.  Would still be an interesting turn of events, option one QB, tag another.

Passing doesn't mean slinging it down the field every play.

Our offense would be improved if every between-the-tackles run in the playbook was replaced with draws and screens.

As a wise man once said, you can't do epic **** with basic people.

I found that part of the piece really cool to hear. Because, we've been talking about it for the last few months and hearing him confirm some of the things that were being said here was neat. The play calling - McVay - being aggressive with a lead - and the idea that we were conservative earlier in the season because Kirk hadn't shown enough to be given the ball to win games. I think I even heard McVay say "I'm learning".

One other thing that stood out to me in that piece was all the back shoulder throws. Look out next week, I bet opposing coaches have seen that and are planning for it. Be careful.

True, but it's not necessarily planned to be a back shoulder throw in the huddle.  It's dependent on the defender and where he has leverage.  As Kirk continues to grow he'll be able to make the receiver right based on how the defender plays him.  Then, the defender is screwed cause whatever he does is wrong.  Now, the counter for the defense is to double up.  But now that D-Jax has his legs back who do you double?  Can't double D-Jax and Reid because then you have Garcon and Crowder running 1v1.  Plus, you end up dropping the second safety back and in that case you can expect a heavy dose of Morris+Jones. 

I have no doubt that this record would be 1-2 games better if we had not been bitten by the injury bug (big time) since day 1. Just look at how Cousins is clicking with DJax and Reed, I mean if they had the chance to  have been working together all along god knows how much better this offense would be.  The defense has had the same issue injuries and not just some injuries, multiple injuries and season ending injuries to important keys to our team,

Maybe, the problem with injury bug probably works for the O. But, somehow, on D, it's been a blessing in disguise. Sure we've hads ton of injuries to core guys there. But that allowed some back ups to step up, and elevate the level of play of the D. Our D have been way better since 3/4 weeks, Ryan is back to is old level. Some thinks he was hurt, and that's most probably true. But the fact that we've seen Will Compton step up for injured Keenan Robinson was huge also. Jarrett, Blackmon, Dunbar lately, even if he's still very, very, raw. Which somehow forced DHall into the safety position.

Without all of these, Hall would be our starting CB mostly, Breeland in the slot, still Culliver starting as well... We're witnessing a core of young guys growing up before our eyes and they are completly retooling the starting lineup on D. We may have had a few changes due to lack of production on the field, but not that many, and not with that kind of success I believe.

What was seemed as a weakness at the beginning of the season as shown some some unsuspected depth on D. And that feels good. (Well, we're still getting short and cannot afford too many more injuries).

True, but it's not necessarily planned to be a back shoulder throw in the huddle.  It's dependent on the defender and where he has leverage.  As Kirk continues to grow he'll be able to make the receiver right based on how the defender plays him.  Then, the defender is screwed cause whatever he does is wrong.  Now, the counter for the defense is to double up.  But now that D-Jax has his legs back who do you double?  Can't double D-Jax and Reid because then you have Garcon and Crowder running 1v1.  Plus, you end up dropping the second safety back and in that case you can expect a heavy dose of Morris+Jones. 

This was always one of the aspects that I foresaw in Cousins game developing based on his clear aptitude as an NFL passer when he wasn't having one of his "bad kirk" games early in his career, combined with everything you've ever heard as an outsider about his work ethic and approach to the game.  Process vs results oriented, obsessive study habits, etc. 

The whole deal about developing beyond just one year of being better, but the improvement over multiple years that makes the NFL legends of today like Brady or Rodgers have such a chasm between above average vs. elite.  All those minute details that they have in their WR-QB relationships that they develop through clout of the WR trusting their QB to learn and work at all these things that most likely take even additional time beyond learning the playbook itself.  That back shoulder throw to Desean might have been an early preview of them starting to develop all their if-then statements during plays, and actually for me the Garcon throw in the endzone was an even more salivating example.  Garcon was clearly ready for that ball being thrown earlier than the CB and pretty much all viewers normally expect, and if they start doing things like that on a consistent basis of even more detailed timing and ball placement, as long as Cousins can continue on that trajectory we might see more Buffaloesque type games in the future.  

Archived