Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Seriously? You think Cousins has the most upside of any young QB in the league?

Kirk isn't "young". He's 27. Same age as Stafford, Wilson, and Tannehill. Older than Luck, Newton, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Carr, Manziel, Griffin, and Bridgewater.

I think he has upside. How much depends on him. If you take in the fact that Kirk has been on the field less than others so his body has been abused less. I think that should count for something and should negate the fact that he is 27. He is only 2 years older than RG3 and that is not a huge difference. 

Im tired of having players with upside, Id rather have one whos reached their peak.

I think if Kirk plays well over the last 2 games they are likely going to offer him an incentive laden deal, which he will refuse, and then franchise tag him.  If he plays well again next year, its a big long term deal.  Its hard to justify 20 mill per without more than one year on a resume.

Forget about the stupid franchise card and just give Kirk a huge multi-year he'll happily sign and extend Gruden also because these two have stopped the madness and have our Skins proceeding at flank step towards respectability!  These two guys and others have done a great job and warrant the full support of the team.  As I said much earlier I have seen enough Kirk's the man!

I think he has upside. How much depends on him. If you take in the fact that Kirk has been on the field less than others so his body has been abused less. I think that should count for something and should negate the fact that he is 27. He is only 2 years older than RG3 and that is not a huge difference. 

Drew Brees had spent five years in San Diego before he went to New Orleans and became an elite quarterback... so thinking that he won't grow would certainly be a narrow view.

It was Brady's EIGHTH season in the league where he threw 50 TDs and 8 picks (25 and 13 was the average before that with only one 4000 yard season in his first seven).

I use these two comparisons not because I think Cousins can definitely be at that level, but they are the quarterbacks who most resemble his skill set - cerebral, not super athletic but move in the pocket well, decent arms but not elite, and very good leaders (the NFL films segment this week shows Kirk's quirky/nerdy leadership - Brady-like).

He's going to keep improving and a 5 year, $80 million contact might look like a bargain in two to three years.

Yeah let's not get ahead of ourselves. Cousins is playing great and Gruden has improved quite a bit it seems but damn we are only 7-7. We could still crash and burn the next two weeks and go 3-13 next year. Again, we the Redskins.

Interesting in that I've already looked forward to next season a bit. Lets assume the Skins take care of business Saturday and win the division. Their non-division opponents probably shake out like:

Home: Green Bay, Minnesota, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Cleveland

Away: Cincy (London), Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Arizona

People are going to want to see progress record-wise next season, but I can see the Skins having another decent season and still going 9-7.

...and very good leaders (the NFL films segment this week shows Kirk's quirky/nerdy leadership - Brady-like).

I didn't see anything "Brady-like" in that video clip lol...everything I saw was "Cousins-like", which is all it needs to be.

Now, if I see Cousins angrily ****ing out a teammate on the field or getting into a shouting match with an assistant coach on the sidelines, THEN I'll see him being "Brady-like" lol...

Forget about the stupid franchise card and just give Kirk a huge multi-year he happily sign and extend Gruden also because these two have stopped the madness and have our Skins proceeding at flank step towards respectability!  These two guys and others have done a great job and warrant the full support of the team.  As I said much earlier I have seen enough Kirk's the man!

I am ok with giving Kirk a contract but hopefully its not a huge one -- the more money the dude gets the harder the hit on the cap.  I was listening to the Junkies discuss this the other day where they said why do Redskins fans care about how much money Kirk gets -- the answer is simple:  this isn't baseball, we got a cap, whatever X player gets comes at the expense of Y.

As for Jay I think we can ride out his 5 year contract which is long for a typical rookie coach -- extensions tend to happen a year before the contract expires not 2-3 years before.

I didn't see anything "Brady-like" in that video clip lol...everything I saw was "Cousins-like", which is all it needs to be.

Now, if I see Cousins angrily ****ing out a teammate on the field or getting into a shouting match with an assistant coach on the sidelines, THEN I'll see him being "Brady-like" lol...

Brady doesn't like to hold back no matter who that person is...lol.

“I still have the image of Tom Brady coming down the old Foxboro stadium steps with that pizza box under his arm, a skinny beanpole, and when he introduced himself to me and said ‘Hi Mr. Kraft,’ he was about to say who he was, but I said ‘I know who you are, you’re Tom Brady. You’re our sixth round draft choice,’” recalled Kraft.  “And he looked me in the eye and said ‘I’m the best decision this organization has ever made.’

Now that takes balls to say that to an owner when you are just a 6th round selected QB. 

I'm not saying this is the general consensus around the nation, but footballoutsiders mentioned Kirk as a possible Pro Bowl snub - 

Quarterbacks

Speaking strictly on statistics, Aaron Rodgers (tenth in passing DYAR, 12th in DVOA) and Cam Newton (15th in both stats) don't belong here, but given Rodgers' prior track record, Newton's rushing value, a combined 24-4 record, and the fact that both men have been playing all year without their No. 1 wide receivers (Jordy Nelson and Kelvin Benjamin), it's hard to get too upset about them. If you really wanted to, you could bump them for Kirk Cousins (eighth in DYAR, seventh in DVOA) or Derek Carr (ninth in both categorie)s.

Hate to project... But if, IF, we win Saturday night, does KC ride pine week 17?

I think he has to.

i don't think you mess with momentum personally, i'm assuming that if we win Saturday night, the offense will at least have been competent, and would want to not mess with that rhythm when it seems they are just coming in to their own

Yeah let's not get ahead of ourselves. Cousins is playing great and Gruden has improved quite a bit it seems but damn we are only 7-7. We could still crash and burn the next two weeks and go 3-13 next year. Again, we the Redskins.

No, that's loser thinking. Banish those thoughts from your head. This is a new era of competence there will be no backsliding or collapsing because the Skins are on their way! On their way I tell you with a real GM, a good young coach and a young emerging star playing QB. All the Redskin happiness indicators are pointing up!

good point, not that i wouldn't mind seeing kirk grow to the point where he can tell other players when they are playing poorly and to turn it around, but not sure i'd want to see him go full Brady and start screaming at people

full disclosure, i hate tom brady nearly as much as i love kirk cousins

Hate to project... But if, IF, we win Saturday night, does KC ride pine week 17?

I think he has to.

I tend to agree. We have been pretty beat up on the oline (overall team in general) so i could jmahine going with Mccoy and a few backup lineman if we have any at this point. We need to have guys healthy for the playoffs.

I know we didnt win and its not guaranteed, but damn it feels good to even be thinking about that at this point in the season.

Brady ****ing video

Brady is such a ****

Also, weird seeing Grossman with the #8, well maybe not weird, but #8 i already associate with kirk now, it took him a year to get the Grossman out of it, i remember people saying last year he should have stayed with 12 to not play like sexy rexy

Archived