Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Who wants pizza?!

Pizza when I'm enjoying this wonderful salad? No way. (I'd fight you for a pizza right about now)

As for Cousins, look at the teams points per game and compare it to redskins numbers over the last 15 years. That's without a running game, a banged up OLine, and a year that Reed and Jackson missed significant time. Kirk has had a good season despite a situation that no one would describe as ideal or even good at all.

Ok, so it's Christmas, mf'ers lol (or almost)...Cousins Haters/Apologists/whatever and RG3 Haters/Fanboys/whatever, we're all some crazy EXTREME mofo's when we wanna be and all are Redskins fans till our dying breath. So enjoy these days, amigos...sleep in, pour extra rum in your eggnog, ask Mr. Sinister for his rum cake recipe lol (thumbsup), and get ready to watch Cousins and Jackson rip the Eagles to shreds...

Merry Xmas to all

They can play for 15 years for good/great franchise, while Kirk still have 10 left?

Both the Raiders are Jaguars are rising nicely, and both their QB are playing great, Kirk only have one real season under his belt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving what Kirk is doing and I'm glad were we are right now. But those two guys are making me awe...

ahh, i see, i guess i haven't been as awe inspired by those two, i think they are good, but not awe inspiring, but of course time will tell, i personally would take kirk over either of those two

i can understand the age argument, kirk is 27, carr is 24, bortles is 23, so theoretically should get a couple more years out of carr/bortles

What happens if next season KC struggles? Would it be considered a 'sophomore slump' as other rookie QBs tend to have? Would the fan base who is cheering for him now turn on him then?

Seems strange, but i've got a funny feeling it might happen that way, at least for the first 4-5 games. Not trying to jinx the guy, but think about it; praised all this season for his performance, if he struggles, there will in fact be a group who would be calling for his head, maybe Gruden's as well. 

I'll stop there, but as it happens with most QBs in the league, and what is happening with Luck this season, he's just so good that it took longer for his slump to happen. Cousins will go into a slump, and i'd hope they wouldn't turn on him, but let him work his way out of it like he did this year.

ahh, i see, i guess i haven't been as awe inspired by those two, i think they are good, but not awe inspiring, but of course time will tell, i personally would take kirk over either of those two

i can understand the age argument, kirk is 27, carr is 24, bortles is 23, so theoretically should get a couple more years out of carr/bortles

If we 'only' get another ten years of Kirk playing at the level he has the last few weeks worse things will have happened :-)

I'm gonna get angry about guys saying QB leaving plays on the field. Some points regarding it:

I actually don't disagree with you.

I was trying to word my post in a way that would show I wasn't quite taking the issue with it that you read it as. I completely get everything you're saying.

I also think that if Kirk didn't reach that next level he'd still be a top 50% of the league QB, a reliable and dependable starter, and that any team could win with him if they build a quality team (and no, I"m talking 2000 Ravens where your defense makes up for a below-average QB either. I'm thinking more Bucs with Brad Johnson, Ravens with Flacco kind of situation - above average, but not really elite [though I think Flacco might be better than some give him credit for])

Anyways... my point was that he has reached a point where that's his next step.. Not progressing through the play the way it was drawn on the board because that's the way the coach wanted... but instead understanding his own team mates, the team he's playing again, the defense he's lined up against, and becoming a play making QB who can comfortably go off script and come away with big plays (instead of terrible decisions.)

You're starting to see him heading in that direction already... at the beginning of the season Cousins looked very robotic and methodical. Get to the top of the drop, fire the ball to the guy it's supposed to go to. Rinse and repeat. I think this actually led to some bad picks because it became predictable and it caused him to stare down receives (see criticism I and others posted back in October in this thread...)

What I saw on Sunday was Cousins dropping back, scanning the field, and not getting rid of the ball at the top of his drop - but instead looking comfortable, he knew exactly how time he had, and most of the he seemed to know exactly how much time his receivers needed.

A small example - on 3rd and 16 he hits garcon for a BEAUTIFUL 20 yard conversation. In october that would have been a check down to the RB screen that went for 6 yards and the rest of us screaming THROW THE BALL PAST THE MARKER DAMNIT!

He's already on this path... he just needs to... get there.

I just don't know if now is the time to push for that. I'm conflicted. What he's doing right now is working... so maybe just stick with that so long as the division is on the line.

If they win Saturday I'd love to have Gruden sit down with Cousins on Monday and go - this game is meaningless, we're putting McCoy in for the second half. Go out there and just let it rip, see what happens, see if you can get comfortable. Probably won't happen though. Might even be a bad idea *shrug*

What happens if next season KC struggles? Would it be considered a 'sophomore slump' as other rookie QBs tend to have? Would the fan base who is cheering for him now turn on him then?

Seems strange, but i've got a funny feeling it might happen that way, at least for the first 4-5 games. Not trying to jinx the guy, but think about it; praised all this season for his performance, if he struggles, there will in fact be a group who would be calling for his head, maybe Gruden's as well. 

I'll stop there, but as it happens with most QBs in the league, and what is happening with Luck this season, he's just so good that it took longer for his slump to happen. Cousins will go into a slump, and i'd hope they wouldn't turn on him, but let him work his way out of it like he did this year.

i really hope kirk will continue to get the support, i think it will be similar to this year, those that get it will continue to support him, those that don't will be clamoring for the next answer if we start 1-3

every team (outside of the patriots and peyton in his prime teams) had down years, even the saints with brees have had some down years, and obviously a super bowl bought brees a lot of leeway, but i haven't really heard much doubt about brees until this year (i think 6 years after super bowl)

i'm hopeful a playoff appearance will at least buy kirk some leeway, but i'm more hopeful (and expect) that kirk will be the least of our problems for many, many years

after listening to the start of Cooley's breakdown, i've come up with my 'next step' for Cousins.

You are probably right...I dont believe Kirk is too timid to pull the trigger at all...I think it has every thing to do with his progressions...the more he plays...the quicker he can read his progressions/defenses/presnap, the more he will hit the big one...for example, that quarter of a second (snap of a finger) faster read would equate to an extra full second of time to make his decision...One extra second faster progression is an eternity in the pocket..

....those are some of my favorites...

My go-to is pineapple and green peppers. Like NickyJ, when a friend of mine in college ordered his pizza like that and I went all snobby on him about it, he simply said "try it, you'll feel stupid". I did try it, and I did feel stupid. Delicious, lol. 

sic, to an extent this board will likely be more-or-less mercurial forever. It's the nature of the beast, exacerbated by being ion the doormat side for way too long. Even visiting Pittsburgh and NE boards (frequent dominant orgs) and see the same bipolar antics and "all other stuff" (if not to the same level). People blow hot and cold depending on the most recent events, often understandably and with validity, often not. 

There are "internet personas" and there are people who are the same on and off screen. There are fanboys and haters galore. There are "experts" (a rare few actually viable <useful in analysis> and genuine <legit>). There are much the same kinds of folks occupying much the same demographics. There are all the types of typical internet denizens that we trope, meme, and jest about, even if many doing so can count themselves among those they lampoon. And there are just "regular" folks who behave "regularly" and are football/Redskins fans, too.

No one ever had to leave here because they went against the herd, and when that kind of comment comes from someone who was a very loud part of the herd at one time and seemed very comfy there, it begs more than a facepalm. Nor has anyone had to leave for posting critical views.  In fact, of all the dumb things that can be said about this site, that one is a true capper coming from anyone who's ever posted here. It shows either serious cluelessess/lack of awareness or emotional reactivity overwhelming thoughtfulness.

This is a large and fairly diverse community---not anyone's personal rec room---and it's moderated. 

And I for one am not sorry about that.

Peyton Manning is older than Elway (his boss) was when he retired. BTW, he still leads the league in INTs.

Cousins has at least another decade until his body starts to fall apart like Grandpa Manning.

I know. My point is that track record means nothing. The guy who I quoted said cousins was guaranteed to be our starter for the next five years... I think not.

Watching Kirk's presser right now ( live as of 2:05 PM http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Redskins-Live-from-Redskins-Park/bfca0670-3d4d-4833-a4dd-30aa9e62a968 )

He just sounds like a quarterback.  A young, new one, but a quarterback.  He sounds genuinely humble, doesn't sugar coat, doesn't downplay things, he just seems to be a real quarterback.  It's really nice to see.  Can't believe that I didn't like the guy (as our quarterback).

....those are some of my favorites...

My go-to is pineapple and green peppers. Like NickyJ, when a friend of mine in college ordered his pizza like that and I went all snobby on him about it, he simply said "try it, you'll feel stupid". I did try it, and I did feel stupid. Delicious, lol. 

Pizza is already a vegetable! We don't need more vegetables on it!

Building on an earlier point about defense and running, the Redskins are currently ranked 29th in yards per carry and 25th in total defense.  The team has never finished the season at .500 or made the playoffs without ranking in the top 10 in at least one of those categories in the Dan Snyder era (I didn't look further back)

That speaks to how much this team has depended on the passing game.  Not just for yards and points, but for simply holding onto the ball at all.

If Kirk weren't playing well this season would be a complete disaster. 

Building on an earlier point about defense and running, the Redskins are currently ranked 29th in yards per carry and 25th in total defense.  The team has never finished the season at .500 or made the playoffs without ranking in the top 10 in at least one of those categories in the Dan Snyder era (I didn't look further back)

That speaks to how much this team has depended on the passing game.  Not just for yards and points, but for simply holding onto the ball at all.

If Kirk weren't playing well this season would be a complete disaster. 

Which, interestingly enough, speaks to Jay's footprint on the team more than anything else. Jay has always been considered an offensive guy, of course, but specifically with regards to the passing game. That means that part of the team should be ahead of the other parts, though it's arguably the most difficult part to improve in general (QBing/passing attack is the most finesse, precision based part of any team). So it's nice to see his expertise there translate. 

That being said, the defense and running game have picked it up in the recent weeks, which is good. Specifically the defense. They're playing really well. It's nice to know we may only be a couple pieces on offense away from being truly elite (stud Center, elite well-rounded WR)... the defense needs a bit more, but we can afford to spend more there now. Most of all, you know Scot can find defensive players. 

Pretty exciting.  

Something people need to understand about the West Coast offense.

1. The QB is going through progressions

2. Most of the progressions are short to deep

3. The QB is never supposed to turn down an open receiver

If a receiver is open deep, the QB is going to miss him if another receiver earlier in the progression was also open.

Shining example where stats can be misleading. The defense has played very well in more games than not this year.

I do agree Cousins should be given tons of credit for sustaining drives and helping with time of possession to be in Skin's favor.

Shining example where stats can be misleading. The defense has played very well in more games than not this year.

I do agree Cousins should be given tons of credit for sustaining drives and helping with time of possession to be in Skin's favor.

last few weeks defense has been strong overall, i believe a lot of it is change at linebacker to compton/foster

Archived