Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

So I guess what I'm saying is none of us really knows what the future holds so let's all just enjoy this unbelievable ride...I know I have and its been that much richer of an experience riding this crazy train with all of you....HTTR!!

If you really want to get excited you should listen to Cooley's film break down.  Even though he gave Kirk an "A" he points out so many big plays that Kirk has not seen yet.  If I were a Defensive Coordinator in the NFC East I'd be putting out my resume.  The FO better not screw this up.  Just imagine getting Kirk a full off season, good running game, improved O-line (preferably a big Center), a TE that can block and catch to compliment Reed and help in the run game, with a big, play-making receiver added into the rotation for redzone situations.  I have a lot of confidence in the Coaching staff and keeping them together with Kirk could be amazing!

Well we didn't really start running the RO as heavy as we ended up until week 11. But people had the formula pretty early on. Let's all kill Robert every time we get a chance because eventually he isn't getting up.

Then Mara and friends changed the rules for the RO so that RG3 could get clobbered even if he handed off and that was the end of that pretty much.

To be fair about it, the running game is what kept everything together during that run.

We started out against the Eagles who were in the midst of a 8 game losing streak, then turkey day against Dallas, where every single high profile rookie who plays against Dallas on that day has a great game and their team wins, then the giants, so it was 3 straight division games.

There is no possible way that Snyder would be that dumb to even listen to talk of letting Cousins go; I'm sorry, regardless of how big a man-crush he may have/had for Griffin, reality is winning promotes and generates money.

The RO as the main course of an offense is gone. Teams run it once in awhile but they don't rely on it like we did in 2012; it was something Griffin could work with while learning the position of being a more traditional pocket passer, but he just couldn't handle it.

Cousins comes in, a traditional pocket passer, and eventually defenses will begin backing off the line to protect the pass more, which will open up the running game. Then it becomes a guessing game, so as long as Gruden doesn't go back into 60's football of run run pass, good things will come from this.

you liking sm: I'm en route so I'll post a link but tashir al sharik or whatever that wapo writer said that altho he wrote negative articles about cousins he didnt take it personally because he does it to SM "often". ill stop talking snyder here but i think most of us would have kept gg and schotty.

i really hope skinsparadise that you are right.

re sm talent evaluation i said it isnt his strength and it isnt. id also argue that it is perhaps his system that works so well with building teams doesnt work with qbs since so much is under the surface which doesnt work with other positions.

If you really want to get excited you should listen to Cooley's film break down.  Even though he gave Kirk an "A" he points out so many big plays that Kirk has not seen yet.  If I were a Defensive Coordinator in the NFC East I'd be putting out my resume.  The FO better not screw this up.  Just imagine getting Kirk a full off season, good running game, improved O-line (preferably a big Center), a TE that can block and catch to compliment Reed and help in the run game, with a big, play-making receiver added into the rotation for redzone situations.  I have a lot of confidence in the Coaching staff and keeping them together with Kirk could be amazing!

I know...I know..plus the other teams in our division seem to be trending down...Romo might make it one more season...and Dallas' streak of lucking into a great QB will most likely come to an end (Dandy Don, Roger the Dodger, Danny White,Troy Aikmen and Tony Romo...I mean come on...that run can't last for ever..)...Eli has a few more years but does coughlin...and the eagles...lol the eagles..

Cousins comes in, a traditional pocket passer, and eventually defenses will begin backing off the line to protect the pass more, which will open up the running game. Then it becomes a guessing game, so as long as Gruden doesn't go back into 60's football of run run pass, good things will come from this.

exactly...and because of this I believe our running game will reappear these last two weeks...

yeah I saw that after I posted, my bad. But  does 117 seem low for the stats they are basing the rating on?

you're right 117 does seem awfully low for completing %74, 2170 yards (271 a game), 16 tds and only 2 ints...I'm confused lol

Good point.   He's shown he can move the ball down the field.

Kirk's been jumping over hurdles all season. So far so good.  He's has another one coming up this Saturday.  Personally I think his ceiling is beyond a mere game manager.  He has decent arm strength, throws a good deep ball.   He has a fast release.  And from what I've read, he's a game film workaholic.  I recall during his rookie year, Grant Paulsen saying that whenever he ran into Kirk in the locker room, he was almost always staring at his IPOD which had the playbook.  I liked the story where Kirk can't go to sleep after the game until he reviews game tape, etc.

I like his chances to be an above average QB in the league and arguably he already is at least for the moment, hopefully he keeps at it but IMO it looks promising.   I am not ready to throw a parade yet but love the trajectory so far of his play this season.

Cousins also has a good touch pass that is non existent for a lot of QBs.  This has developed without much commentary over the later part of the season.  He's an accurate passer when he's throwing a touch pass, tight slant, or deep ball.  There's huge upside here.  Nobody should get excited about others coming onto a bandwagon support for the teams QB.  He's playing well and isn't done yet. When he finishes stronger then expectations, he's going to get paid well for it.  There's no reason not to pay him.  Easily getting a similar deal that Romo is working under now.  KC is a working hard to do everything that RG3 didn't and being himself in the process. 

Sky's the limit for this kind of Professional.  He's a team leader that everyone can be proud of without worry that he'll embarrass or take away from the continuity of the team.  

Aren't you happy that you're a Skins fan going into this weeks game?  Would you rather have Bradford or Cousins?  Would you rather have Breeland or Biggers?  Murray-Sproles or Morris-Jones??  Mathews or Jackson?  Ertz or Reed??? 

And Philly thinks they're playing a weak team and that they're going to beat up on the Skins...Really????

I maybe wrong in saying this but why can not someone humble themselves for "Millions". Coach did say QB competition.   As someone posted earlier each QB stats are similar.  We just have the option of 2 different style QB.  Guess we will see what happens next year.

I compare Griffin years to Cam Newton first years of QB.  Besides his outstanding freshman year.  He had growing pains on the field.  The Oline was bad.  This year preseason Griffin seemed not to trust the Oline. 

Cousin first years he mainly learned from the bench.  This preseason he won the job.  He stumbled a little but learned and adjusted in each game this year (Still do not understand how we lose to Dallas with no Romo).  He looked better behind the Oline.

To me let them play for the starting QB position.  HTTR 

This week will be another "check the box" for Kirk. However, I am sure some will then add to the boxes to give them more time to say "I was right". He has exceeded a lot of expectations, I thought he would be good and get better, but I didn't think he would be this good this quick! I absolutely believe he is exactly the QB this team has been looking for for years. I have watched every QB on this team since late 70s and believe Kirk will be better than all of them when it is all said and done.

I am excited to see what GMSM brings in next year to give him MORE offensive weapons (including OL) and watch him get even more comfortable with this offense and Jay. I am glad DS let go of the reigns and let the GM and HC play the Right QB based on play rather than draft position or owners BFF.

no sweat (does he really fill the bill?--and he's pretty new)

Is he? I never look at that stuff (barely look at names lol). I didn't even realize at the time that he was the thread starter.

Basically, it was during a run of "Cousins haters are desperate now, they are reaching for straws to find anything to hate the guy! They are hating that he's doing well!! Extend Cousins now!" etc, etc...

I just got curious as to what he was saying during the lean times lol...found that after the Falcons game, he posted this:

"I think Kirk is doing a great job for a guy with what 14 starts? He didn't take over a championship team he took over one of the worse teams in the league and seems to be the corner piece in a promising rebuilding of a very bad football team. After 5 starts we have 1 decisive loss, 2 close loses and 2 wins. In each game Kirk has keep the offense going picking 3rd downs and helping Washington to become one of a leading time of possession teams in the league, a huge improvement for a 7-27 team the previous two seasons. Before Kirk took over fans and pundents were very critical of the offensive line that couldn't pass block now the OL is seen as an emerging strength.

He has led come from behind drives and thus far enabled his team to be competitive and as successful any of us hoped for in August. Complain about the 6 picks if you want but I'm not going to complain about a pick if the receiver falls down, bobbles a less than perfect but catchable pass or gets beat on a 50/50 pass by a db made a great play. He's missed some opportunities with passes that were off the mark but also picked up critical 3rd down with beautiful throws and managed to maneuver within the pocket or beat blitzes with quick decisions. I am very impressed thus far this year.

Some here are going to compare this inexperienced starter to some imaginary ideal and of course he will fall short of an ideal. Comparing Kirk to very experienced quarterbacks or QBs on much more talented and successful teams leads to false outcomes in my view. Others are saying Cousins is okay for now but won't do for long because they can't imagine him shedding more of his flaws going forward. At this point I think the glass is 3/4 full and he'll make a good starter for the balance of the decade or longer if the Skins decide to build around him. In time Cousins might convince me otherwise but yahoos on message boards who loved the last guy so much they aren't ready to move forward or those that condemn the pretty damn good because it's not great yet aren't going to sway me, play on Kirk play on!"

All still very supportive, and even throws in a jab at imagined "yahoos" here on ES who he feels are simply Griffin fanboys, etc (always a good thing to do lol)...

Then the Jets game happened.

And...Tumbleweeds...cricket noises...no posts of continued support to be found on this--his--thread. Actually he had not posted on this thread in 5 days before the Jets game, and remained silent on this thread throughout the week after the Jets game.

Then...the Bucs game occurred.

And he went right back to posting lol...

"Kirk is The Man!!!

If Jackson had been healthy I think the Skins would be 4-3 or 5-2 but with Reed back he's got more to work with now.  Hopefully Jackson can get healthy and help.

Leading the Skins to their greatest comeback in franchise history should quiet his critics for a week anyways."

I thought the part in bold was ironic since Cousins' mediocre outing against the Jets seemed to have quieted one of his biggest supporters for a week lol...

I just think his tone of posts would be far more bearable if he didn't go into hibernation during Cousins slump and then come back out with more "haters" talk the minute Cousins did well. I actually wondered if he may have gotten to rambunctious and, uh, ended up on the Mods' monitor list (*ahem* *cough* lol <_< ) and that's why he wasn't posting.

genuinely interested in which ones you identify out of curiosity but don't want to revisit looking into that angle myself today (have done something close enough before)  :D

I haven't looked for anymore but I will (just a reminder, I never said I found several, I only asked what the other poster would think of Cousins "supporters" who did that).

Been hearing a lot of discussion on how much Cousins is worth now.  Professional athletes are ridiculously overpaid - that needs to be taken into account.   

I think if Cousins plays lights out on Saturday then he will get his $13-$16 million a year.  Consistent, young QBs with a rocket arm who make accurate throws are hard to find in the NFL.

Granted, he has only done it for one year.  What's to say he won't regress next year?  Well, that's the business of professional sports.  Sometimes, players fall off and they still get paid tons of money.  Sort of a non sequitor, but it's just a thought I've been having.  Players only play well enough to get paid sometimes, then they suck.  Remember that fat slob Albert Haynesworth?  Perfect example - he was overrated from the start though imo.

Anyway, Cousins has shown enough for me to want him back.  Pay the man, just don't go overboard.  Understand the market but don't give in to ridiculous demands.

I maybe wrong in saying this but why can not someone humble themselves for "Millions". Coach did say QB competition.   As someone posted earlier each QB stats are similar.  We just have the option of 2 different style QB.  Guess we will see what happens next year.

I compare Griffin years to Cam Newton first years of QB.  Cousin had the ability to learn from the bench.  

Hard choice to make.  So it up to the Coaching staff.  HTTR 

What is a hard choice to make? There is no choice, Griffin is never playing here again. 

You are correct in that they are "2 different style QB": One can play QB, one can't (anymore, I'm not one who forgets that he was nailing difficult throws as a rookie even if they were set up by an advantageous system).

Griffin is nothing like Cam. Not now, especially, but even early on Cam's first two games in the NFL were 400+ yard passing efforts. Not pretty but he showed he would air it out early. Griffin to this day has never thrown the ball 400+ yards. Its not a big deal in and of itself, I'm just saying that it shows Cam had some passing chops early, starting out like that with almost 850 passing yards his first two career games, extremely raw out of Auburn with very little WR talent. Even then he flashed big time in the passing game.

Was it Ed Kleese that started the "I think We All Know A Good Team When We See One" thread?

I know he mentioned in one of the threads at that time  that "he was convinced Cuzzo was going to be a star" or words to that effect. 

Not sure that he's ever waivered in that, either.  His traffic hasn't been that high these days though.  

That, I don't know (can't remember if I ever read that thread or not)...I may have to google it now lol...

Although I'm positive more than a few on here have chalked me up to being either a Cousins hater or an RG3 fanboy lol, I've always had faith in Cousins as well. But I understood completely why someone else would not. And I was gonna wait until he had a quality resume' before I hoped we hired him for a permanent position, so to speak.

What is a hard choice to make? There is no choice, Griffin is never playing here again. 

You are correct in that they are "2 different style QB": One can play QB, one can't (anymore, I'm not one who forgets that he was nailing difficult throws as a rookie even if they were set up by an advantageous system).

Griffin is nothing like Cam. Not now, especially, but even early on Cam's first two games in the NFL were 400+ yard passing efforts. Not pretty but he showed he would air it out early. Griffin to this day has never thrown the ball 400+ yards. Its not a big deal in and of itself, I'm just saying that it shows Cam had some passing chops early, starting out like that with almost 850 passing yards his first two career games, extremely raw out of Auburn with very little WR talent. Even then he flashed big time in the passing game.

that is epic, and so unbelievably true

It is quite possibly the easiest choice in the history of choices since the invention of the choice.

How many Older QBs will retire in the next 3 years?  How many QBs since the 2011 (Which NFL teams seemed to transition 1st rd QBs right into the game instead of learning from the bench) are doing good?  

Colin Kaepernick may be out of San Fran this year.  Miami Tannahill is.....  Luck is on the bench.  Wilson was plugged into a team that was built.

So we have 2 productive QBs.  Knowing what you have you can not so easily say its an easy choice.  UNLESS you a divisional troll.  HTTR  

So why did we pay him and not let him go or trade him.............

that's a lot of reading between the lines, i did say the team was broken, and i did say kirk played poorly, i never blamed the rest of the team for kirk's performance, that's just silly

It's not reading between the lines, it's quoting you verbatim lol...

And you said this: "...but given the circumstances, i don't think anyone would have played well"

So Cousins "didn't play great", but you don't think anyone could have played well in that situation--which I'm assuming the situation that lead to Cousins playing "not great" was QBing a broken team that was playing miserably and that had given up. Not sure how else to interpret that.

The RO as the main course of an offense is gone. Teams run it once in awhile but they don't rely on it like we did in 2012; it was something Griffin could work with while learning the position of being a more traditional pocket passer, but he just couldn't handle it.

I know why they try to force the run game.  Especially in that third quarter vs Buffalo when they made a run.  It's because our defense, while overachieving and really showing some great character, doesn't have the depth and talent to sustain a high level.  Not 3 seconds after cheering on that beautiful, back shoulder fade to D-Jax the coach in me whispered that we had scored too quickly.  The scores the defense gave up to subpar RB's was more an issue of fatigue.  So they have to force feed the running game to eat clock and rest our defense.  We are at our best as a team when we have those 8 plus, time consuming drives.  Especially since more and more this year they end up in TD's instead of Field Goals.

How many Older QBs will retire in the next 3 years?  How many QBs since the 2011 (Which NFL teams seemed to transition 1st rd QBs right into the game instead of learning from the bench) are doing good? 

So we have 2 productive QBs.  Knowing what you have you can not so easily say its an easy choice.  UNLESS you a divisional troll.  HTTR  

So why did we pay him and not let him go or trade him.............

Yeah, after all the hell that Kirk has been thru in this ordeal?  You really think he would want to sign up for that again?  You are dreaming my friend.  If I'm his Dad and agent I wouldn't let Kirk sign a locker receipt for next year unless #10 is gone.  There's no way it could work and no reason to. 

Drama might be good for the local news but it doesn't create an atmosphere conducive to winning.  Thirty one other teams know this as well and they will not trade us a bag of chips for Robert.  Gracefully let him go and be done with this.  Hopefully, Kelly is fired and Robert decides to go home to Texas - The Houston Texans.

Archived