Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Would have considered Ryan Tannehill a top 10 QB last year?

I liked Tannehill coming out of college...I don't think I would have put him in the Top 10 last year...close though... but I probably woulda bet money he would have been this year...good example...however, and maybe its my Burgundy and Gold glasses, I still think Kirk has played better than Tannehill last year...and Tannehill will be a Top 10 QB eventually IMHO..

So what about that "group" that doesn't erase the people that are unequivocally backing him since september (your starting point.) And the 1 person? And yes, I know that person in question because I saw you type this before and I looked back to see who it was in the Cousins thread based on date and time of the Bucs game.  Probably after the Bears game was when I checked this because that was the 1st road win when this came up so there were probably more "admissions of him being legit" going on just like this week after 5 tds.

The one I was referencing wasn't in this thread lol...it was in the game day thread.

And I can think of plenty of posters off the top of my head that have backed Kirk from start to finish since september.

What do you make of Cousins "supporters" who pull a Westy: don't comment or post when he played bad, then come back and brag when he played well?  

I liked Tannehill coming out of college...I don't think I would have put him in the Top 10 last year...close though... but I probably woulda bet money he would have been this year...good example...however, and maybe its my Burgundy and Gold glasses, I still think Kirk has played better than Tannehill last year...and Tannehill will be a Top 10 QB eventually IMHO..

Tannehill 2014:

4045/66.4/27/12

Cousins 2015:

3625/69.7/22/11

Tannehill 2015:

3529/61.2/22/11

i said he played poorly

No lol...you said the team was "BROKEN", that it had given up, that it was "awful" of the team to put Cousins in because of it, and then said Cousins "didn't play great"...but then said nobody would have played well in those circumstances, essentially blaming the rest of the team for Cousins' performance.

No lol...you said the team was "BROKEN", that it had given up, that it was "awful" of the team to put Cousins in because of it, and then said Cousins "didn't play great"...but then said nobody would have played well in those circumstances, essentially blaming the rest of the team for Cousins' performance.

007 part of me thinks you are the biggest kc fan in the world but you just are tempering yourself.

<edit>

I honestly don't buy two of the narratives being trotted out from time to time: that there were a lot of ESers completely dismissing any chance of Cousins being successful this season, and that there were a lot of ESers who never wavered in their opinion of Cousins and always saw he would eventually be this good. That's waaaaay too black and white to describe all the discussions, arguments and debates that took place back in September.

I'm glad you only honestly buy things. I hate to see you buy something dishonestly.  :P

I think this is written too imprecise for me to address the actual claims as I'd like--but it prompts one comment I have thought before when I read your "how the board is/was" posts. First, however, I'd say there were "a lot", comparatively for the venue by any reasonable standard, who were adamant that Cousins would inevitably flop.

Being a big boy research guy, I like to get my data accurate and in order before I "go", and having access to all the posting history and knowing how to use it is quite the tool. It's not the only one I use, but it's a significant one. Another is learning by provided evidence over time that when the entire mod staff (old and new) consistently sees the same stuff from our vantage point (even if we disagree on the topical positions among ourselves) you can pretty well seal the deal.

As someone who can make a strong empirical case for the validity of my judgments and comments on "the state of the board", I usually find yours are kind of off target but hardly among the most erroneous takes.  :)

But then I am used to seeing more than a few people who many of us wonder even have much of a grip on reality in the first place, comment on the state of the board.  :P

Its an emotional game, which is why we all love it so much.  Sure there are a handful of posters that spend a lot of time digging deep and analyzing the game but the overwhelming majority of us have familes, jobs, hobbies, responsiblities, etc.  It makes perfect sense that a lot of posting is done from an emotional standpoint.  But sometimes things said out of emotion are completely correct as well.

Glad you explained that stuff. 

The one I was referencing wasn't in this thread lol...it was in the game day thread.

What do you make of Cousins "supporters" who pull a Westy: don't comment or post when he played bad, then come back and brag when he played well?  

cali---can you post 3 examples of posters who did that--curious which ones you'd come up with.  :)

I've been watching footsballs for 40 years...trust me, it's a long list lol...

I have too..and I guess "long" is relative..but of those 40 years are you saying your list of QBs that have comparable stats would consist of 40 names or more? Basically once a year? That is a long list...how about 20 names over 40 years with comparable stats for one year and flamed out?? If so, then I would agree that that still is a long list...now if its only 10 to 15 names on your list over 40 years..well, I don't really consider that a lot of QBs over the last 40 years...like I tell my girlfriend, "Long is relative baby "..lol

that's a lot of reading between the lines, i did say the team was broken, and i did say kirk played poorly, i never blamed the rest of the team for kirk's performance, that's just silly

Tannehill 2014:

4045/66.4/27/12

Cousins 2015:

3625/69.7/22/11

Tannehill 2015:

3529/61.2/22/11

didnt miami give up on their coach for several games...

there is definite growth for a starting qb: rodgers year 1 rodgers starting year 2. brees staring year 3 vs 1st and 2nd starting seasons. there are many more.

I would contend that the several years following 2005 was more devastating. I've always put more stock into coaches. The fact that we got Gibbs back, finally rallied to be a winning team, and then never really did much else (and a couple years later we were a laughing stock again) was devastating to me. 

SIDEBAR:  Keep in mind, before he got here, Gruden never had a losing season.  Or maybe it was just one.  Also has a couple of championships.  Albeit in lesser leagues.

Bottom line, dude know football.  If given free reign and good personnel, you never know.

He appears to be growing tremendously as a coach, on and off the field.  Which is a good sing.

SIDEBAR:  Keep in mind, before he got here, Gruden never had a losing season.  Or maybe it was just one.  Also has a couple of championships.  Albeit in lesser leagues.

Bottom line, dude know football.  If given free reign and good personnel, you never know.

He appears to be growing tremendously as a coach, on and off the field.  Which is a good sing.

if we can end up with long term success with the base of what we have (which i think we can), then it will all have turned on two moments in 2015, the "you like that" moment and the loss to the cowboys which seemed to get jay (or mcvay or bill callahan or al saunders or sherman lewis whoever is calling the plays) to open up more

The guy who started this thread for one lol :lol: ...

I'll post my "data" in a bit, have to have an online meeting right now.

no sweat (does he really fill the bill?--and he's pretty new) --genuinely interested in which ones you identify out of curiosity but don't want to revisit looking into that angle myself today (have done something close enough before)  :D

I'm not trying to say Tannehill is or isn't a good QB. Just that if you think Kirk is a top 10 QB because of this season, then what about Tannehill from last year

i guess maybe i had said he was top 10. what i am saying now is he has the most upside of any young qb In the league right now. dude is progressing like the real deal and there are a lot of guys who arent.

Cali, this isn't like a paying your dues thing, and that's muddling the point I originally made anyway.  The point is that Cousins has not exceeded expectations of all the people that have believed in him from as far back as 2012.  This isn't about paying homage to people with a 100% posting accuracy about where Kirk is at right this second, it's a lower threshold of "accuracy" but still significant nonetheless.

The whole point is that saying he "surprised everyone" is an inaccurate statement.  He's playing, as I said, as a top 18ish to top 10ish QB which is essentially where the baseline starts in today's NFL of QBs that are reasonable #1s.  The "surprising everyone" thing would have far more validity if Kirk had us at 10 wins and was an MVP candidate or something.  He's not playing THAT well where "surprising everyone" is truly legitimate.  

The guy who started this thread for one lol :lol: ...

I'll post my "data" in a bit, have to have an online meeting right now.

Was it Ed Kleese that started the "I think We All Know A Good Team When We See One" thread?

I know he mentioned in one of the threads at that time  that "he was convinced Cuzzo was going to be a star" or words to that effect. 

Not sure that he's ever waivered in that, either.  His traffic hasn't been that high these days though.  

I've got no problem at all saying i am a fan of Cousins. I'm also a fan of Griffin's too. 

Bottom line, i'm a fan of the team first, foremost and period. My belief in who would be the better suited person to be behind center was answered by the players themselves. I could honestly care less if Yosemite Sam was our QB, as long as he gave us the best chance.

Now its KC's opportunity, and i'm behind him 100%. 

But, lets throw a monkey wrench into this convo here;

Fast-forward to next year. It will essentially be KC's second year as starter, and if he starts off playing poorly, will the fanbase cry out to replace him, or let Gruden and the coaching staff work him through it. If it did happen, it would be considered his 'sophomore slump', but would the patience level drop off with him or would they stick by him.

This would be an interesting angle to look at; recent history of QBs on this team doesn't bode well with sticking with QBs through thick and thin, there's always been someone else stepping in. Maybe how far he gets into the post-season will have an affect on patience with him?

Archived