Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Saw this on FB:

Kirk Cousins beat the Eagles so bad, he took the winning kneel in the first half!

I was hoping we would clown the eagles and sort of poke fun at ourselves and spike the ball while in victory formation there at the end. We still could have ran the clock out even if we wasted a down with a spike.

Yesterday I was at my folks' place for Christmas.  My stepmom's uncle is a Bengals fan, really cool dude.  We were all talking about the Skins and he said that Cousins was looking really good running the same offense that Dalton ran in Cincy.  I said that I felt that Cousins is better than Andy Dalton and I was just CRUSHED by my step brothers (boys fans so I'm sure it was out of fear or jealousy lol), dad, and my stepsister's husband.

I stand by my statement.

Yesterday I was at my folks' place for Christmas.  My stepmom's uncle is a Bengals fan, really cool dude.  We were all talking about the Skins and he said that Cousins was looking really good running the same offense that Dalton ran in Cincy.  I said that I felt that Cousins is better than Andy Dalton and I was just CRUSHED by my brothers, dad, and my stepsister's husband.

I stand by my statement.

The only thing I'd say Dalton has on Cousins at the moment is mobility/willingness to run. Cousins has opportunities to run but doesn't take them.

Other then that I don't think Dalton is much better if at all. They're pretty similar although I think Cousins has more of an IT factor in him then Dalton. Both are helped a lot by monster receiving threats(AJ Green and Jordan Reed respectively).

I'm not so sure that Cousins isn't willing to run (I mean, look at the rushing td vs the Bills).  It seems to me that he is trying to keep his eyes down field and throw it.  That said, I did think that he could have taken off on the 3rd down that was incomplete to Garcon.

Ok, so he took a ****ing knee before the half.  Really what.

After that:  not only did the Redskins still win, they won handily.

So it turns out - Kirk took a knee because he was like "**** that, we don't even need these points.  Chumps."

Only "The Man" could do such a thing. 

Oh, and he's been having his way with the passing game to the tune of crazy good numbers lately.  Dude's the man, period.

We have a quarterback!!   With a sustainable system.   You gotta love it!!!  

We gotta a real GM who is respected around the league.  Who will really build this team the right way.   You gotta love it!!!  Preston &^%$%  Smith!

This is only the beginning of good things to come.   You gotta love it!!

Not sure if its related to overall confidence, but Kirk is making the explosive throws at a much higher rate. Earlier in the year, even when he was playing efficiently and well this was a concern of mine, him being able to put juice on the ball and remain accurate. Just unbelievable football being played by him.

I was hoping we would clown the eagles and sort of poke fun at ourselves and spike the ball while in victory formation there at the end. We still could have ran the clock out even if we wasted a down with a spike.

I saw a Bill Barnwell tweet during halftime that Cousins should come out and spike the ball on the first play of the 2nd half so that everybody has a good laugh and we can all move on. 

Not sure if its related to overall confidence, but Kirk is making the explosive throws at a much higher rate. Earlier in the year, even when he was playing efficiently and well this was a concern of mine, him being able to put juice on the ball and remain accurate. Just unbelievable football being played by him.

I've noticed this too. He is throwing with more confidence and velocity it seems. I thought he was hesitant to throw at times when plays seemed like they were there but he hasn't had that hesitation the second half of this season. 

He's answered all my doubts which mainly were lack of velocity on outside throws and not coming off his pre-snap read. In addition to that, he has been making great decisions overall and putting the ball on a rope all over the field to his play-makers. 

Just an incredible shift from the player he was at the start of the season. I am definitely excited to be proven wrong

I'm not so sure that Cousins isn't willing to run (I mean, look at the rushing td vs the Bills).  It seems to me that he is trying to keep his eyes down field and throw it.  That said, I did think that he could have taken off on the 3rd down that was incomplete to Garcon.

I thought he should have just dumped it off to Pierre Thomas running in front of him for the easy first but it wasn't a big deal. He had a few options one he cleared the corner. 

This should end all doubts about Kirk's ceiling.  It is limitless - Kirk slipping to the 4th round was an obvious blunder by 32 NFL teams (our fault too for letting him slip that far).  Today, he was Tom Brady.  He was Peyton Manning.  He was Aaron Rodgers.  This was a big dick QB game - we put the entire offense on the shoulders of our QB and said forget the run game because we have an elite QB and we're going to carve your defense up until they can't take it anymore.  Whatever the stats say, whatever the analytics say, this was the best game he has played in his young career.  46 pass attempts and only 20 rush attempts going into our last 2 possessions where the game was out of reach.  No leaning on the play action.  No bootlegs.  Just straight up drop back and pass.  Humiliating a division rival in their house with everything on the line in front of a national audience.  When it comes to QBing, it honestly gets no better than what you saw out there today.

It was really Kirk's coming out party to the country in prime time.  He's arrived.   He ain't getting out the building.  Ever.  This dude is going to be elite.

Kid deserves it.   Just bided his time.  Joe Gibbs would have just loved this dude.

It was really Kirk's coming out party to the country in prime time.  He's arrived.   He ain't getting out the building.  Ever.  This dude is going to be elite.

Kid deserves it.   Just bided his time.  Joe Gibbs would have just loved this dude.

Pretty sure Joe Gibbs love the dude. He doesn't have to be the Coach of the team to love him :D

But I see what's your point :)

Pretty sure Joe Gibbs love the dude. He doesn't have to be the Coach of the team to love him :D

But I see what's your point :)

Cuz he is such a nice kid.  All American.  Christian and all.  Who you want your daughter to marry.  LOL  And ole Joe never really had  one qb he could hang his hat on.   Had some good ones tho.  Joe T.  Williams and Ryp.    I have a strong feeling about Kirk and where he will end up as a long term redskin quarterback.   Something we really haven't had since Joey T.  

He will hold every record.

Kirk is the man right now and this has been a fantastic season.  This might ruffle some feathers, but I don't really give a ****.  I need to see him doing the same things this time next season before feeling 100% comfortable.  

Too many one year wonders in sports.  Granted, this isn't gimmicky like RG3 was, but I need to see him playing at this level for full calendar year.  I'm not saying he will or won't be, I'm just saying I need to see it.  I'm keeping an open mind and I believe he can be.

Not trying to take anything away from him at all, it truly has been a great season for him.

Yup, i forgot. Absolutely not worth it.

Now back to Cousins talk. I look forward to seeing what Kirk can do when he has at least an average running game working with him. Amazing that he played so well when all we had for offense the entire season was a passing game. We def need upgrades to run game, special teams and some more defensive parts. The future is bright.

I wish this more settled, but we're going to have to expend some mental and practical resources and make sure we get that running game going again. Probably won't have Morris, Jones'll be here, but is he a #1 RB? Maybe Lavauo up was the secret weapon in the run game. So you have to figure we'll have a new (as in returning) LG, a new center most likely, and a new #1 RB, if they don't think Jones is the guy.

All that said, as it relates to Cousins, can you imagine the play action if we're just average/middle of the pack in rushing?

Saw this on Cowboyszone:

"When did we ever put up close to forty points even with Romo to clinch a division game against an NFC East opponent?"

"When has our offense under Garrett looked as crisp and sharp as the Skins offense looked last night? Cousins looked like a surgeon, and their offense looked like a well oiled machine compared to what we've seen under Red. And everybody clamoring for Red here, says we need continuity and cant change now because it would take too long to install a new system. Yet Jay "Frank Caliendo" Gruden benched his starter and went with a backup and has been the best coach in this division this season."

Cuz he is such a nice kid.  All American.  Christian and all.  Who you want your daughter to marry.  LOL  And ole Joe never really had  one qb he could hang his hat on.   Had some good ones tho.  Joe T.  Williams and Ryp.    I have a strong feeling about Kirk and where he will end up as a long term redskin quarterback.   Something we really haven't had since Joey T.  

He will hold every record.

Cousins and Gruden are going nowhere but in DC next year, and probably even longer more... Sounds like Cousins will have 8 zeros on his check in a few times.

I just want to give credit where it's due. Cousins proved me wrong. Dead wrong, perhaps. Maybe mcvay's game plan of throwing 7000 short passes for 10 weeks has payed off and given Kirk ultimate confidence. Kirk deserves all the praise he is getting right now. He looks phenomenal. Hopefully we continue to run play action sets. It's our best option. I still believe griff would have done great as the starter here this year in a play action style offense. But I have serious doubts that he could have ever done what Kirk has done this year. I wish him the best on his new team next year. I just hope he doesn't go to Cleveland/Philadelphia/Dallas.

Archived