Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

Bro, you just did.  If you add in his mediocre games from early this season (you know, his 10th-15th ever starts as an NFL QB), his performance for the entire season is still good to great by Redskins standards.

Redskins standards?  He's the 6th highest rated QB in the league with all of his play included.  3,990 yards at 69.5% 26TD and 11Int is good by any standard.  There are better, certainly, but that doesn't mean what Kirk accomplished is anything but good.  

Anyone got Kirk's post-Tampa stats updated?

Better now than Aaron Rodgers first year starting and Rodgers took over a 13-3 team and went 6-10.

Rodgers

16 16 6-10-0 341 536 63.6 4038 28 13

Cousins

15 15 8-7-0 367 528 69.5 3990 26 11  

Cousins also has 5 rushing TDs Rodgers had 4.

Tom Bradys first year starting for a SB team:

15 14 11-3-0 264 413 63.9 2843 18   12

But Cousins is the "game manager" lol

Better now than Aaron Rodgers first year starting and Rodgers took over a 13-3 team and went 6-10.

Rodgers

16 16 6-10-0 341 536 63.6 4038 28 13

Cousins

15 15 8-7-0 367 528 69.5 3990 26 11  

Cousins also has 5 rushing TDs Rodgers had 4.

Tom Bradys first year starting for a SB team:

15 14 11-3-0 264 413 63.9 2843 18   12

But Cousins is the "game manager" lol

I'm so frickin pumped for the Dallas game and the playoffs. I'm not even going to lie though I am just as excited to see every offseason move Scot makes and to see what kind of team comes out week 1 next year. If we have a good offseason and come out Week 1 next year and Cousins throws for 300+ yards and 3 TD's and we have a running game going this board is going to have a meltdown from all the hype/positive vibes. I just hope I get a chance to watch the Dallas/playoff game, I may have to watch replays since I won't be stateside...I may be relying on some of you exceptional individuals to provide me with a high quality free online replay of those games...while I'm mentioning that, huge shoutout to Space Penguin for the link to the stream last night, best one I've watched all year!

I understand the skepticism, though. We've seen years like Foles 2013, RG3 2012, Cutler 2008, Culpeper 2004. Maybe not the best examples, but given past redskins history of getting our hopes up only to dash them, I completely get not emotionally going all in on Kirk at this point. The nut kick that was 2013 is still fresh in my mind.

i think as long as kirk clutch cousins is a redskin u have about ten years of top ten quaterbacking. id guess top 5 in the future. this guy is an elite qb growing before our eyes in the burgandy and gold. kirk is the best redskins qb in at least 20 years.

specifically because cousins talent seems like it is independent of system and his growth is positive as expected. i think we will see kirk replace luck as the best of that class since you can argue luck isnt progressing as expected.

Cousins might be the best in the end but so far Wilson is winning that one. Luck seems to be another Brett Favre/Eli Manning with no OL, running game, or defense. His biggest wins are because he screwed up the first 2-3 quarters of the game.

The Dude totally owns prevent defenses though. Kinda wonder why they keep running it against him.

Cousins might be the best in the end but so far Wilson is winning that one. Luck seems to be another Brett Favre/Eli Manning with no OL, running game, or defense. His biggest wins are because he screwed up the first 2-3 quarters of the game.

wilson is good maybe better now but it is hard to compare them. id have to give kirk a higher ceiling right now and a better grade in all areas of pocket passing. also i just dont think wilson can play 10 years, i think he has maybe 5 because if he loses a step or two he is just not as dangerous.

perhaps i undervalue running qbs though but personally id rather have a rodgers or a kirk than a newton or a wilson.

WE HAVE A QB !!!!!!

Something else Ive noticed is unlike RG3, when Kirk does get sacked ( not too often ) he rarely fumbles. And usually gets up and tosses a first down afterward.  Very impressive.

Absolutely!!!  I remember being extremely relieved to have a sack as long as it was not a fumble.  Kirk has become a lot more smart about that.  Loved seeing the replay where you see him realize it's better to hold onto the ball and he clutches it and refuses to let it go.

Give Kirk a lucrative long term deal.  I think 10 year deal guaranteed at 10M per year makes sense for both parties. Sell him on the lower annual rate because it would ensure the team always had plenty of cap room to fill out a talented roster for him to lead.  He's a very bright grounded guy who will understand if he wins championships in DC the endorsement money will dwarf the Redskin money and it will mean the team is committed to him for his career.  Will he be able to maintain for 10 years?  I don't know but it will be a bargain for the next 5 years and 6-10 years from now I think it could look as good as the deal Brady has been for the Pats.  Pay the man!

Give Kirk a lucrative long term deal.  I think 10 year deal guaranteed at 10M per year makes sense for both parties. Sell him on the lower annual rate because it would ensure the team always had plenty of cap room to fill out a talented roster for him to lead.  

I am all in on Kirk but a 10 year guaranteed contract for just about anybody in football on durability concerns alone would be outlandish IMO.   I am guessing he gets somewhere between 17-20 mill a year guaranteed for 2-3 years and then non guaranteed portions kicking in for 2-3 years after.

I am all in on Kirk but a 10 year guaranteed contract for just about anybody in football on durability concerns alone would be outlandish IMO.   I am guessing he gets somewhere between 17-20 mill a year guaranteed for 2-3 years and then non guaranteed portions kicking in for 2-3 years after.

So you want to guarantee him 51-60M for 3 years with and additional 17-20M per year for the years 4 and 5?  If I understand you correctly that is 85-100M for 5 years.  No, I would rather risk the other half of the money and get a full 10 years of service for the 100M.  With his quick release and a better running game around him I think the chances are good he will be durable so I prefer giving him 100M for 10 years and ensuring him the team will have Scot spreading the money around on a great supporting cast.  I think the odds of multiple Super Bowls are better with a 10 year, lower rate per year deal.

You'd probably have to guarantee pretty much all of that 10yr/100M deal.  Cousins will probably see 18M/year minimum after last night, so he could make most of that 10yr deal in half the time, so the incentive for him is to not take something that low, and especially for that long, unless he's basically set for life, and that would require an almost all guaranteed deal.

That presents major problems when he starts creeping towards 35.  If he declines at all, we'll have shot ourselves in the head with such a deal.

Moreover, there's still a good chance he wouldn't do it.  If he believes he's the guy, why settle for 10M a year?  Force a team to throw a ton of money at you.  Kirk is young enough that he could snag 2 big deals, and the potential money from something like 2 big deals is probably 150M at a minimum, with potential to get close to 200M if he lasts 10 years.  Taking only 100M sounds like a bad financial decision.  Really bad when you consider the average QB starting salary in 5ish years will be well north of 20M.

I could see him taking maybe 10 year, 140 or 150 million, for 14/15M a year, which will be a huge steal for a starting QB in 5 years, on par with Brady for 10M now, but anything less than that and we're asking him to take a huge pay cut to play here while also potentially harming ourselves if things go downhill.

I'm sorry, I love the dude, but 10 years for ANYONE is insane. That's the kind of deal I'd expect that from Jerry Jones to romoSUCKS. Cousins looks like he'll be turning out great, but tying ourselves down for 10 years after one good season is begging for a disaster that the Redskins can easily supply. I'd have a hard time being convinced to make a 10 year deal to a 27 year old Tom Brady. Injuries happen, **** happens. I'm not saying to go cheap on him, but 10 years is out of this world.

I could see him taking maybe 10 year, 140 or 150 million, for 14/15M a year, which will be a huge steal for a starting QB in 5 years, on par with Brady for 10M now, but anything less than that and we're asking him to take a huge pay cut to play here while also potentially harming ourselves if things go downhill.

There are no 10 year contracts in the NFL. That never happens.

Cousins will probably get a contract structured similarly to the recent ones like Kaepernick (who nearly won a Super Bowl) and Tannehill. A 5ish year deal with team options on the backend and fully guaranteed salaries on the front end.

He's made $2.5 million so far in his career before taxes. By signing his name, he'll immediately make another $30-35 million guaranteed, with an opportunity to make a lot more before cashing in again in the QB prime at 32.

I agree. The guaranteed element may line up with the last 3 years of Grudens current deal. They seem a solid HC/QB match right now. No doubt that's what we're buying into in the short/medium term.

Archived