Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the future of the ES Community...

Jumbo

11 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I’m pretty sure the Google Ads covered the expenses. At least that’s what I remember Blade telling me.

Of course, that didn’t include the graphic work I did…. or hiring programmers to do work for like upgraded hacks, etc. Eventually Blade learned how to code to cut expenses and reduce access to crazy programmers. 😂😂

This was before it moved onto the current software right?

It looks like the current software does all of that stuff for you, so there wouldn't be any hiring of programmers.  

I'm strongly considering doing this if ES is going to go away.  

• Like 1

@tshile @PleaseBlitz

And anyone else that wants to get in.  Would the team considered just offloading the website?  Or could we offload the majority of the data stored to new site that is owned by some posters again?  I'm very serious as well.  We can fund it and handle it I think.  And the team would probably love to get rid of the site name.

@TK is there anyone to ask the questions to?

• Thumb up 2

Many of us are in the camp of arranging our own alternative should it be necessary. 

As time goes on, and depending on what we hear about the teams future intentions,  we can continue to make and propose plans with increasing focus and explore who will be willing to participate and in what manner.

Our current server is still an option but it's early in the game right now. I raised these matters along with people staying in touch in the thread I started upon return but maybe we should start a thread solely focused on an alternative home.

Personally, I want to see if the new ownership might come to see the value of keeping this unique venue under their wing for the cost.

@TK is busy on several fronts but is of course keeping this among his priorities as am I. In our group text @PCS @MartinC @Destinee @Destino and a few fixtures like Kdawg, NC21, and several others also started discussing options.

I'm just posting this to let you know we're with you in the priority of keeping this community as intact as possible though we may not engage on every post or idea. But definitely keep the fires burning and we'll keep our eye on how things go with the team and keep you all as informed as possible.

All of you make this a truly special community that's well worth preserving, whatever it takes.

:cheers: 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I imagine all our profiles are attached to email addresses so we can reset our passwords...

I'd like to hear there's a way for a mass no-reply email to all of us and confirmation on how to contribute to a 6 month rainy day fund to buy time for what to do next in that case scenario.

So I think the team owns the domain name, so they can shut it down on a whim, regardless of whether the members put up the money to service it.  Which is why thewarpath.net is place to go.  It will like in that movie The Day after Tomorrow when all of the United States citizens crashed the Mexican border after the huge winter cyclone disaster froze everything north of Texas. 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Doesn’t seem that bad and the software allows for monetizing through advertising. 

Feel free to actually look at the host’ s website

Hey if you know all about it then go ahead and do it and make your money

:) 

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

tshile @PleaseBlitz

And anyone else that wants to get in.

I really don’t have the time 

I think people are underestimating the cost and time commitment to it. And the headaches. 

I would just point to various posts by mods over the years where they vent just a tiny bit and give a glimpse into the behind the scenes. 

I would appreciate others spending their money and time, much like I appreciate the current people. 

• Like 1

Also , for those considering taking this on:

i have seen other forums implement costs to the users successfully. Whether it’s a onetime cost, a yearly costs, people who value it will throw 15$ at it. They also have some benefit - there was usually a different style title or extra title (like premium, or contributor) 

some of my favorite forums have successfully implemented this. It also keeps some of the garbage out cause **** posters don’t tent to want to spend money to **** post. 

just an idea. You will see a hit in user count.  It’s a trade off. 

12 minutes ago, bearrock said:

It could also be a donation plus ad type of deal.  Heck I would consider it a subscription to a newsfeed service since I get so much breaking news on here.

The human side of it in terms of actually running it, yeah I have no clue. 

yeah ads too are pretty much a must. 

I’ll add I’ve never seen anyone break even much less make money on ads and subscriptions. I’m well aware people advertise that you can - I’m saying I’ve never seen it actually happen. 

I imagine if this site was making money, it wouldn’t be on a list of things to get rid of for new ownership. Conversely, I totally understand why it might be on a list of things to ax after taking over an org hemorrhaging money. 

just things to think about. 

Add: I suppose the SA forums made money. They were truly unique in many regards though. 

• Thumb up 1

^ Haha yes they did.  I was making a post and it said the server was busy.

I know nothing about servers or domains or any of the costs, but if necessary I'd be willing to throw down $10-20 a month to keep this place going.  If we all did that I am sure that would be enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Also , for those considering taking this on:

i have seen other forums implement costs to the users successfully. Whether it’s a onetime cost, a yearly costs, people who value it will throw 15$ at it. They also have some benefit - there was usually a different style title or extra title (like premium, or contributor) 

some of my favorite forums have successfully implemented this. It also keeps some of the garbage out cause **** posters don’t tent to want to spend money to **** post. 

just an idea. You will see a hit in user count.  It’s a trade off. 

what’s the advantage of this versus simply starting two sub Reddit's ES-Tailgate and ES-Stadium. Reddit is easy enough to use, still anonymous, and it even has an app. And it’s free. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zCommander said:

In the event that one day doomsday does come it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread there and brainstorm as to what to do next. Someone motioned discord on twitter/x. But I don't know much about discord though or if that is even a feasible platform for what we do here. 

I could also host but these forum software are pretty expensive. The free ones don't look as nice. I started to dabble into that a little today but decided to plant some grass instead lol

wait... ?

you mean there are OTHER websites out there?  somewhere?

its a big and scary world.   

Edited by mcsluggo
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I am also celebrating an anniversary tonight. I asked the ice cream for its cream in marriage. It said yes. I notified my wife that we were now in a poly relationship. I sent the following pics:

My wife didn’t see the rings in the ice cream and she’s out of town. She says “seriously? You’re eating ice cream out of the carton?” I responded back “Did you see the rings. You’re more upset about me eating ice cream out of the container and not the fact that I’m violating the sanctity of our marriage?l She didn’t have her glasses on and couldn’t see the pic clearly. Needless to say, I’ve been spooning and eating my ice cream all night long.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

she went out of town... and left her wedding ring behind...and YOURE in trouble for eating ice cream out of the carton

🤔

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

she went out of town... and left her wedding ring behind...and YOURE in trouble for eating ice cream out of the carton

🤔

In fairness, neither one of us wears our rings all the time. That is her engagement ring which she doesn’t wear much, she has her wedding band though.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1