Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the future of the ES Community...

Jumbo

10 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Cooley again?

The alleged meat was well shaped, had a beautiful hue like it had been treated really well and handled with the correct techniques.

Not sure about the Cooley part, though. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, zCommander said:

In the event that one day doomsday does come it wouldn't be a bad idea to start a thread there and brainstorm as to what to do next. Someone motioned discord on twitter/x. But I don't know much about discord though or if that is even a feasible platform for what we do here. 

I could also host but these forum software are pretty expensive. The free ones don't look as nice. I started to dabble into that a little today but decided to plant some grass instead lol

Tribune cut the cord on PSD over the summer, and we’ve tried to keep a discord up for people but you are right, it just doesn’t work.  It would be good as a landing zone for people though. 

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Hope you don't care for twitter.  Here's what ES looks like to me when people link twitter posts:

twitter.png

I think there is an issue with Invision (the software that runs ES) and how embedding works now that Twitter is X.  It is happening on another forum I am on as well. 

• Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I think there is an issue with Invision (the software that runs ES) and how embedding works now that Twitter is X.  It is happening on another forum I am on as well. 

That's not it.  I block all sorts of things with trackers built in.  Twitter embeds trackers, so Privacy Badger blocks the element.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Hope you don't care for twitter.  Here's what ES looks like to me when people link twitter posts:

twitter.png

No offense to those posting tweets but the threads take eons to load even on my high end computers because of all the embedded tweets. How does one carry out this feature, I hope it will make it easier to post.

• Like 1

Seems like it would be easy enough to recreate ES as a purely fan-run site.  That's what ES used to be.  Invision Community (the software the site runs on) is a service that anyone could use.  I don't see why I couldn't just make a new ES, but I'm not a big IT person.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Seems like it would be easy enough to recreate ES as a purely fan-run site.  That's what ES used to be.  Invision Community (the software the site runs on) is a service that anyone could use.  I don't see why I couldn't just make a new ES, but I'm not a big IT person.  

Costs. 

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Out of curiosity, how much would it be (very rough obviously).  Is it mostly the hosting or the staff to maintain?

It’s the hosting/servers. Staff are all volunteers. The problem/challenge with a growing community is the need for better/faster servers and unlimited bandwidth.  If the board is slow loading, ppl leave.

It’s part of the reason I almost closed ES after a couple of years… it was getting pricey for a hobby. That’s when Blade took over… assumed costs (helps when your a Doc) and then was able to incorporate Google Ads to cover the costs.

But it was approaching approx $300/month at the time we sold to the Redskins.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Out of curiosity, how much would it be (very rough obviously).  Is it mostly the hosting or the staff to maintain?

Oh no idea. I’d need a lot of metrics to figure that out. 

I have no idea outside of software/hosting fees what other costs there may be. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Get your firm to sponsor us 😁

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

No offense to those posting tweets but the threads take eons to load even on my high end computers because of all the embedded tweets. How does one carry out this feature, I hope it will make it easier to post.

I suspect it's your internet speed and not the hardware. Tweets load quickly for me ( on about a 700-800k mbps wifi connection). 

18 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

It’s the hosting/servers. Staff are all volunteers. The problem/challenge with a growing community is the need for better/faster servers and unlimited bandwidth.  If the board is slow loading, ppl leave.

It’s part of the reason I almost closed ES after a couple of years… it was getting pricey for a hobby. That’s when Blade took over… assumed costs (helps when your a Doc) and then was able to incorporate Google Ads to cover the costs.

Thanks for the insight!  I am happy to pledge 10K of @PleaseBlitz's money per month should we ever need to consider the private route.

On the other hand, I would be really disappointed with the decision makers on the team if they choose to pull the plug on this board over what I'm sure is less than a rounding error for an NFL franchise.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Costs. 

Doesn’t seem that bad and the software allows for monetizing through advertising. 

Feel free to actually look at the host’ s website. 

36 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Thanks. Was it $300/mo inclusive of ad revenue?

Edited by PleaseBlitz

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Doesn’t seem that bad and the software allows for monetizing through advertising. 

Feel free to actually look at the host’ s website. 

Thanks. Was it $300/mo inclusive of ad revenue?

I’m pretty sure the Google Ads covered the expenses. At least that’s what I remember Blade telling me.

Of course, that didn’t include the graphic work I did…. or hiring programmers to do work for like upgraded hacks, etc. Eventually Blade learned how to code to cut expenses and reduce access to crazy programmers. 😂😂

• Thumb up 1