Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the future of the ES Community...

Jumbo

Just now, tshile said:

Yeah the thing I don’t like about their 

Marketing material is they don’t give any bandwidth costs. Just overall storage and feature set. Maybe it’s just a software license and doesn’t include hosting. If that’s the case the storage allotment is odd. 

I used to use vBulletin, and had a host who specialized in vBulletin (and then XenForo) software, so I could easily create a ticket with them to install a mod/hack and look at something.  But I don’t know if something like that exists for Invision, or even exists any more at all. 

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Paying a yearly fee to use Invision, and if you don’t know how to install their mods/hacks for features, paying someone to do those too. 

Of course we don't actually have to use Invision.  There's still free message board software out there like phpbb and discourse.  We don't necessarily need a whole lot of frills to keep the community going.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

Of course we don't actually have to use Invision.  There's still free message board software out there like phpbb and discourse.  We don't necessarily need a whole lot of frills to keep the community going.

Yeah but they look pretty attractive. 

im still trying to figure out what the catch is. But they charge a totally reasonable rate. 

unless this site needs way more storage or there’s bandwidth caps I’m not finding 

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Having done all of this for myself, and for a similar role like TK does with a big company, people are drastically underestimating the cost and time commitment.  A server to feature all of the traffic of this forum, especially during peak times like game days, draft, etc, is going to cost a lot.  The database also compiles information over time.  Then, you have to look for a skin and probably pay someone to do that.  Paying a yearly fee to use Invision, and if you don’t know how to install their mods/hacks for features, paying someone to do those too.  

We aren’t even talking putting up ads yet to make money, as well as managing the ads so people aren’t getting crazy ones.  

It is a lot.  It’s basically a part-time job with a lot more expenses that would need to be covered.  

Unless you have someone like me who can do it all. :) 

Well, except to buy a board software. I would have to go the cheap and free route. Not as fancy but I could make it look good since I also know Photoshop and have over 2000+ fonts installed on my PC. fd

But yeah, it is still a lot of work and making it sure it stays up. And to do that you have to get a shared or dedicated server from the hosting company. This is also an added cost per month as well. You really need around $2000 a year to make it happen correctly. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, PokerPacker said:

You still need someone to understand phpbb and be able to install it and work with issues.  

The host I did mention in an above post was bought out and the new company does specialized vBulletin and XenForo hosting.  They also do other forums.  Their 8 options range from $119/month to $245/month for a dedicated server.  They also manage backups and those things.  I have no clue about the back-end of this site, but we might outclass their options. 

Just now, tshile said:

If I had my way the existing mods would continue to “run the site”

There's mods, and there's Admin.  Mods keep the posters in check while Admin actually handle the back-end stuff.  Admin often are also super-mods since they have lots of access and are highly-trusted members of the community.

• Thumb up 2

I guess it depends on what you’re talking about. 

if “start something new” was the plan, then yeah all options are on the table. 

I guess I was thinking more “save extremeskins” meaning find a way to fund the site that doesn’t involve the team. 

maybe some mods would take the opportunity to bow out, for whatever reason, but the site would otherwise be what it was. 

Someone owns copyright over this. Plus if you want the historical data you gotta work with them. 🤷‍♂️ 

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Didn't vBulletin get hacked with BGO? 

Yes. I helped them with that. 

and then at some point I offered to run the upgrade and blew everything up and was super embarrassed and was never allowed to touch it again. 

5 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

There's mods, and there's Admin.  Mods keep the posters in check while Admin actually handle the back-end stuff.  Admin often are also super-mods since they have lots of access and are highly-trusted members of the community.

Right. I guess what I’m saying is my preference would be whatever is currently going on, continue to go on. 

Edited by tshile

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes. I helped them with that. 

and then at some point I offered to run the upgrade and blew everything up and was super embarrassed and was never allowed to touch it again. 

That's where we first started fighting, iirc!  :ols:

Glad we don't do that anymore. ;)

That place was a disaster (except for the What's for Dinner thread). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I installed the Privacy Badger plugin, which is maintained by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (a trustworthy organization)

already had it installed on my pc.

I didn't do anything and it's already blocking tweets here which is fine

Edited by ixcuincle

I lean towards trying to keep things as unchanged as possible.

Preference #1---we remain owned by the team and the board and all our accumulated content remains. (If shrinkage of auxiliary forums would advance that goal I'd be fine with axing a whole bunch of those forums)

Preference #2 --- making this same layout and accumulated content on Invision but paid by our group effort. That's trickier than it seems even with seemingly affordable costs when spread across a couple dozen or more folks.

That funding has to be as rock solid available as possible and situations where person x can't make their share that month might be embarrassing etc. Just noting complications, even though not major ones, have to be considered.

After those two options it sort of becomes a scrum of all these other options like a discord or whatever setting (I am totally ignorant on these) which seems to have major drawbacks compared to what we're all used to here depending on who I'm reading in these conversations.

I def want easy embedding of vids gifs etc of course. Our Friday night music thread or the misc comedy thread are the kind of jewels we also want to survive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Preference #2 --- making this same layout and accumulated content on Invision but paid by our group effort. That's trickier than it seems even with seemingly affordable costs when spread across a couple dozen or more folks.

I think this is doable… but some details are needed. Who is the person to reach out to?

I think this is the best option, assuming something has to change. 

I think “save extremeskins” is a workable goal. I think you could mostly retain the user base if the team is willing to actually have some patience and not just throw a switch one day. 

I think “start something new” will fracture the community. Not to be pessimistic but I don’t see it working. 

but theres important information that must be understood to even begin to get at costs.  Putting a group together to come up with 300-500$ a month is one thing. 

and that’s just the basic ****. Who actually owns the content, the domain registration, has a backup that’s in depending of the team… lots of details. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1