Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the future of the ES Community...

Jumbo

Due to the demands of work, school, and life, I'm rarely on so I missed the outage. However, I had a similar experience with FootballOutsiders.com. After a long absence, I cruised by there Thursday evening expecting NFL data and...nothing. It was pretty jarring. I can't imagine what it would be like if this place went away. I joined in 2001, back when I was still using dialup I think, so it's been a long time, and yeah, we're old.

I took the BGO detour, then came back when their free speech absolutism made it a really unpleasant place to be. No shade on the folks over there, they experimented with something and it didn't work out. That said, the experience made me really appreciate what we have here and the hard work the Mods do to keep the place civil. The idea that it could all go away also makes me appreciate the community and relationships even more. I'd be devastated if that happens. Stupid facebook, the dung heap that used to be Twitter, and pretty much all the rest of social media are just not my thing anymore. Reddit is tolerable, but damn if their multiple child threading isn't annoying.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

One angle you all might play in trying to keep the joint open with the team is the need for the team to have some fan base to hold onto while they try to woo the younger set. Most of the team's fanbase are us oldsters since I don't think they've recruited many young fans for quite some time. They need some fans who remain connected to the team's gloried past while they try to rebuild things. So, it's only likely to be a temporary reprieve, but it could give us time to build out another site.

Anywho, count me in with the bunch that is more than willing to donate/pay to keep the place open. Hopefully y'all will be able to find an alternate solution.

• Like 6

I'd be willing to pay to help keep the site going. I'm not rich or anything. But I could mentally justify that this place is worth as much as I'm paying for Disney+.  

I really have no clue about the various alternative social media flavors. And don't really want to try to find out, since I'm firmly convinced that for all of them, spyware is their business model. 

But I think I'm going to start PMing my IRL contact info with several people, just in case. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

3 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Anyone else getting a bug were the screen just goes white while browsing forcing a refresh? Happening to me lately on my phone and tablet. Not sure if it's the website or my browser though

I am, sometimes a refresh works and I realize it's a post with a bunch of embedded items in it. (Firefox - Android)

Edited by Renegade7

On 12/6/2023 at 9:25 PM, Cooked Crack said:

Using Firefox on mobile. Don't really want to have to switch browsers to use this site

You should switch to Vivaldi or maybe Brave for a host of other reasons. Vivaldi in particular is very fast and generally doesn't slow my system down even with my 5,300 open tabs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Anyone else getting a puzzle to post a reply but not being able to get back to the reply page after getting the puzzle correct?

Edit it won't even let me post a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

I got the puzzle but it let me do it fine.  I'm on my phone using Chrome. 

And it only happened once.