Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the future of the ES Community...

Jumbo

I'll just drop this nugget: when I first found this site nearly 20 yrs ago, I went full retard and started a thread without fully understanding the rules and was rightfully given a time out. 

Now, with that said, I attempted to shine my ass to one named Jumbo. Obviously,  this did not end well for me and my ban was upheld (looking back I'm surprised I didn't get perma banned).

But I learned a valuable lesson, took it in and decided to lurk as opposed to making threads, and throw in the occasional observation (or a really good ancedote...lol).

Nonetheless,  this place had been a more enjoyable and useful source of information on all things redskins. And up to the last couple of years, I've branched out to enjoying the tailgate and communicating with a great bunch of folks (shout out to China, skinsmarydu, Captain Wiggles,  Jabbyrwock,  Fan since a Fetus, etc.). 

It's amazing that after all the years you become so attached to a message board that when it's taken away you feel like you've been violated. So, I hope that this board and all of its occupants are able to remain here unimpeded.  But if not, I'm down to help yall keep it going in some capacity. 

Also, a special thanks to Jumbo. Otherwise, my sorry ass wouldn't be here now to enjoy the content you crazy ****s put here for us to enjoy. Lol.

HTTR!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, skinsfan4128 said:

I'll just drop this nugget: when I first found this site nearly 20 yrs ago, I went full retard and started a thread without fully understanding the rules and was rightfully given a time out.

My first thread, I believe, was about how Brett Farve [sic] was better than Patrick Ramsey.  Pure low-quality teenage trolling.

• Haha 7

I just crossed 12 years last month.  I didn't have the energy to even read anything when I was hospitalized in '19, but just a few months later y'all got me through my husband's suicide. 

This life hasn't been awesome, outside of seeing 3 SB wins.  ES makes it better. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, tshile said:

but theres important information that must be understood to even begin to get at costs.  Putting a group together to come up with 300-500$ a month is one thing. 

and that’s just the basic ****. Who actually owns the content, the domain registration, has a backup that’s in depending of the team… lots of details. 

Gonna highlight those pieces.  You can have all of the funding in the world, but someone has to have their name on it and take ownership of it.  That also means liability.  

Also, taking money from people here means someone has to be communicating where/what that money is being used for.  Even if it isn’t used for that month’s server costs, as I imagine some people may only donate certain times/when they are able.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tshile said:

but theres important information that must be understood to even begin to get at costs.  Putting a group together to come up with 300-500$ a month is one thing. 

and that’s just the basic ****. Who actually owns the content, the domain registration, has a backup that’s in depending of the team… lots of details. 

I have a 1 terabyte external drive at my office that's been sitting in a drawer for 4 years.  So got the team independent backup problem solved.

In all seriousness, I don't see cost being a problem if its reasonable. For example, I bought a 1 year online subscription to the Baltimore Sun a few months ago for like $2.99, just so I could read about the Orioles. I never understood why these online newspapers try to charge like $99/year without any other option. People would gladly pay something dumb like $1,00 per month to be on this site. The only problem then would be who get the excess cash, so buy the domain, then incorporate "extremeskins.com" as a 501(c)(3). Do a one time "voluntary" endowment drive, buy the domain from the team, place the endowment funds in an federally insured money market account at a stable 2,00% interest rate, and continue the $2,99/year subscription fee. Offer a charity tailgate around Thanksgiving to satisfy the charitable purpose obligation in case someone wants to look under the hood.

Edit:  Maybe I could buy like a 10 terabyte drive, but only if I'm given complete control over registration vetting.

Edited by kfrankie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

I have a 1 terabyte external drive at my office that's been sitting in a drawer for 4 years.  So got the team independent backup problem solved.

In all seriousness, I don't see cost being a problem if its reasonable. For example, I bought a 1 year online subscription to the Baltimore Sun a few months ago for like $2.99, just so I could read about the Orioles. I never understood why these online newspapers try to charge like $99/year without any other option. People would gladly pay something dumb like $1,00 per month to be on this site. The only problem then would be who get the excess cash, so buy the domain, then incorporate "extremeskins.com" as a 501(c)(3). Do a one time "voluntary" endowment drive, buy the domain from the team, place the endowment funds in an federally insured money market account at a stable 2,00% interest rate, and continue the $2,99/year subscription fee. Offer a charity tailgate around Thanksgiving to satisfy the charitable purpose obligation in case someone wants to look under the hood.

Edit:  Maybe I could buy like a 10 terabyte drive, but only if I'm given complete control over registration vetting.

GoDaddy’s appraisal has ExtremeSkins.com valued at $1515, but I bet the team won’t part with it for a variety of reasons.  So if the team shuts it down, you’re looking at rebranding the new forum 

I won’t get into the 501c3 thing, as I’m not sure how it work work for something like this.  I would say I wouldn’t have a problem with someone or a group having an LLC, and at the end of the year sending some excess funds to a charity or two, with a “rainy day” fund set aside for six months operating costs.

I just think people are underscoring a lot of the time that will need to be put in, as well as the yearly board license fee and hosting.  A site this large costs a lot of money to keep going with the peaks it is going to have in traffic.  It’s easily into $200-plus a month range, probably more.  

• Like 2

I began reading this forum sometime around the early 2000s, then joined roughly 8 years later in 2013 and made a grand total of 53 posts since then. Yet I visit this forum constantly, all day and all night. I don't know or interact with anybody, yet I feel like I know you all so well....that is rather odd, but oh well, so am I. I told my wife that I had no idea what was happening in the world for the two days it was down. I can't imagine it just going away in the blink of an eye. I hope that if it does happen in the future, there could be some warning and direction to link back up with everyone.

• Like 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I lean towards trying to keep things as unchanged as possible.

Preference #1---we remain owned by the team and the board and all our accumulated content remains. (If shrinkage of auxiliary forums would advance that goal I'd be fine with axing a whole bunch of those forums)

Preference #2 --- making this same layout and accumulated content on Invision but paid by our group effort. That's trickier than it seems even with seemingly affordable costs when spread across a couple dozen or more folks.

That funding has to be as rock solid available as possible and situations where person x can't make their share that month might be embarrassing etc. Just noting complications, even though not major ones, have to be considered.

After those two options it sort of becomes a scrum of all these other options like a discord or whatever setting (I am totally ignorant on these) which seems to have major drawbacks compared to what we're all used to here depending on who I'm reading in these conversations.

I def want easy embedding of vids gifs etc of course. Our Friday night music thread or the misc comedy thread are the kind of jewels we also want to survive.

Jumbo, I am happy to aid in efforts here if there's any need.

I was a part of the official Caps board for years until 2011 when conflict over censorship from the team-employee moderator led a large contingent to migrate to a new board on Invision. That board was run by one user who collected money every so often from members to keep the site running. Then, over the summer, it went poof and disappeared. That user it seems either got overwhelmed or stopped caring about keeping the board alive, and even though there would have been enough members willing to cover costs, we never had an opportunity to keep it going and as far as I know the user managing the site became unresponsive.

A few of the users started another free board but it's just a handful of us. Enough to scratch the itch but feels a bit like Japanese soldiers on remote islands who kept fighting WWII long after the war ended because they didn't believe it was over.

In any case, I would hate for that to happen here. Especially now that the team actually seems poised to get good over the next few years.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, Jumbo said:

That funding has to be as rock solid available as possible and situations where person x can't make their share that month might be embarrassing etc. Just noting complications, even though not major ones, have to be considered.

Agree completely that less change is better.  

If it comes to self funding, we could set up and fund an escrow account so we aren't, in effect, living month to month hoping nobody flakes.  It would give us a cushion in terms of both dollars and timing.  

Edit:  As I noted before, happy to help however I can.  I like it here. :)

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well if we did that, we couldn't just blame mods when we get banned.

When I got banned, I knew it was coming before I sent the message.  It was worth the ban Jumbo gave me.  Then a certain butt-hurt other mod (he's gone now; hasn't visited in years) extended it from two weeks to a year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Doesn’t matter. My point was supposed to be that in my opinion there were good/cool people there and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know them 

you know how across this forum we have certain threads that are go-to’s for certain people. 90% of their activity seems to be in those threads. For example - you can usually find me in one of the political threads (hoping that changes once Harris brings in his new GM :cheers:) . That’s how the whole site was - it’s a perk of being a smaller community. It was cool. 

I’m curious how this ends up. So long as there’s warning and a little willingness from the correct people, I’m pretty confident it can be worked out. It’ll be different because that’s what happens when there’s change, but it’ll still be something worth having. 

Es turned into what it was before being officially tied to the team. I’m sure it’ll be OK if it stops being tied to the team again. 

• Thumb up 3