Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Regarding the future of the ES Community...

Jumbo

1 hour ago, Destino said:

what’s the advantage of this versus simply starting two sub Reddit's ES-Tailgate and ES-Stadium. Reddit is easy enough to use, still anonymous, and it even has an app. And it’s free. 

I mean, it’s not my idea. 

Reddit would have a username + tying to other parts of life issue. Some would care, some wouldn’t. 

generally my first thought was Reddit. 

My next thought was discord. Which would be perfect. Except it’s a different communication model. It’s real time talking not really thread-that-runs-for-weeks…

• Thumb up 1

I do reddit and discord for other things, but generally find message board superior for more in depth discussion and also find it easier to come back and follow the discussion after some time has passed.  But I'm a fuddy daddy, so different strokes for different folks.

In the meantime, a reddit or discord where people can go to in case of an unexpected shutdown may be a good idea.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

No offense to those posting tweets but the threads take eons to load even on my high end computers because of all the embedded tweets. How does one carry out this feature, I hope it will make it easier to post.

I installed the Privacy Badger plugin, which is maintained by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (a trustworthy organization)

@Jumbo if you want to put this anywhere:

I made a discord server to serve as a command center if things go down and never come back up. 

https://discord.gg/jUrhGR6KVz

It’s not meant to really be for anything other than that. If it turns into more than that, someone else can take control of it. Add it using the link, you’ll have it if the need arises. 

I’ll make sure the topic reflects the current status. It would be nice if a long time poster or mod was willing to have mod rights over it, so someone else has the ability to update/run it in my absence. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Also. I’m down for discussing financing a new home. I’d want to want to know what the needs are and the package level. I’d want to know the others involved. I want nothing to do with moderation, I’d be terrible at it and have no time. 

and fair warning - solid chance I’m a yes vote if new ownership throws out the question of getting rid of the stadium people. 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Reddit sucks.  I mean, both its format is wrong for maintaining our community, and the reddit-corp sucks.  Discord: I'm not joining no discord.  A messaging service like that would probably be fine (but go with Matrix instead of Discord) for general socializing with folks, but it doesn't fill the message-board hole with topics/articles to comment on.

What about Usenet?  That's apparently still kicking.  I've never used it, but it seems like the kind of thing that would work for these purposes.

The structure of this board is fantastic. The separation of Stadium and Tailgate is ideal with a strict no politics policy in the stadium, but freedom to talk/complain about anything else in a semi-civil way in the tailgate. 

I’ve frequented an Orioles message board for a couple of decades. It is not team owned. There is a subscription based model where members have additional privileges. Non-paying members get 500 posts before they have to sign up to continue posting (at least that’s how I recall it). There is also ad revenue which gets tricky. I believe the site makes money, but not quit my day job money. There is a staff of moderators, but not sure if they are strictly volunteers or get paid anything. However the ads can get out of control and inhibit the user experience. They are constantly needing to tinker with it to get the right balance.

I’m not old, but I’m not young either. Never had Facebook. I have a Twitter account where I used to try to engage, but just now read certain contributors.

I’m familiar with Reddit, but don’t have an account or use it often.

I’ve heard of Discord. But have zero experience with it. Not a gamer 🤷‍♂️.

To me, the message board set up is a far superior way to build and maintain community. I don’t understand why it has fallen out of favor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Just now, TK said:

If y’all ever bothered to read the ****ing Rules page then you’d know there’s been an ES Facebook page set as a backup to contact us & connect. 

:kickcan:

Ah, yes, Facebook.  That platform that normal human beings like myself use.  Hello, fellow normal human beings.

• Haha 3

@PokerPackeryeah as I said earlier - discord was my second thought but it’s a totally different communication structure. It’s not a long term solution. 

im gonna go out on a limb and suggest the best option is something that involves using the same platform, and restoring a backup of this site. It’s the most practical and the pricing suggests a small group could pull it off, and subscription/donation/ad setup should make it reasonable. 

2 minutes ago, TK said:

If y’all ever bothered to read the ****ing Rules page then you’d know there’s been an ES Facebook page set as a backup to contact us & connect. 

:kickcan:

I don’t have a Facebook account. 

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I mean, it’s not my idea. 

Reddit would have a username + tying to other parts of life issue. Some would care, some wouldn’t. 

generally my first thought was Reddit. 

My next thought was discord. Which would be perfect. Except it’s a different communication model. It’s real time talking not really thread-that-runs-for-weeks…

We started a discord when Tribune axed PSD, it does not work the same.  If you want it as a landing zone in case something happens, that would work, but it isn’t the same forum feel and many of those folks did not make the transition, or left shortly after.  

5 hours ago, tshile said:

I really don’t have the time 

I think people are underestimating the cost and time commitment to it. And the headaches. 

I would just point to various posts by mods over the years where they vent just a tiny bit and give a glimpse into the behind the scenes. 

I would appreciate others spending their money and time, much like I appreciate the current people. 

Having done all of this for myself, and for a similar role like TK does with a big company, people are drastically underestimating the cost and time commitment.  A server to feature all of the traffic of this forum, especially during peak times like game days, draft, etc, is going to cost a lot.  The database also compiles information over time.  Then, you have to look for a skin and probably pay someone to do that.  Paying a yearly fee to use Invision, and if you don’t know how to install their mods/hacks for features, paying someone to do those too.  

We aren’t even talking putting up ads yet to make money, as well as managing the ads so people aren’t getting crazy ones.  

It is a lot.  It’s basically a part-time job with a lot more expenses that would need to be covered.  

• Like 2

Yeah the thing I don’t like about their 

Marketing material is they don’t give any bandwidth costs. Just overall storage and feature set. Maybe it’s just a software license and doesn’t include hosting. If that’s the case the storage allotment is odd. 

Add: they definitely are hosting it, they show eu/us options.