Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

China

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe the bottom of the ocean should be a tourist destination and this reaffirms my beliefs on that.

We need to respect jus how dangerous going down that deep is and remember we know next nothing about it either.

I disagree. 

much like cool things wind up coming out of government randomly dumping a bunch of money somewhere, sometimes cool things come out of people wanting to take rich peoples money

so long as the barrier to this type of tourism is the ability to cough up 250k per ride - have ****ing at it. Who knows what it’ll lead to and clearly no one is being prayed on here. If they were offering 50$ tickets to get people to do it to see what happened, like sending monkeys and dogs into space, then I’d agree. But these people know full well what they’re doing. One of these guys also paid for a ride in the blue horizon program to say he went into space. 

🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Scientifically speaking we know a lot about the bottom of the ocean.  For example, I'm pretty sure I recently read a pre-print where they demonstrated the bottom of the ocean was actually under water.

Who knew?

Naturally I'd wait for peer review before taking it as gospel.

Yea, man, don't be no sheep.  Water's wet, hdf do they know? What else aren't they telling us???

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

I disagree. 

much like cool things wind up coming out of government randomly dumping a bunch of money somewhere, sometimes cool things come out of people wanting to take rich peoples money

so long as the barrier to this type of tourism is the ability to cough up 250k per ride - have ****ing at it. Who knows what it’ll lead to and clearly no one is being prayed on here. If they were offering 50$ tickets to get people to do it to see what happened, like sending monkeys and dogs into space, then I’d agree. But these people know full well what they’re doing. One of these guys also paid for a ride in the blue horizon program to say he went into space. 

🤷‍♂️

Are we sure, though? 🫥

Like, I'm convinced they knew they wanted to see Titanic, who would take them, and how much it cost...

But did they really understand resources that need to go into doing that safely?  Or that scientists do go down there, but they also use drones for a reason.

It doesn't sound like money we'll spent in context of saying they saw it themselves versus donating that money to professionals with specific research goals for the scientific community and don't skimp on testing their equipment at those extreme pressures. 

You'd think if they knew what they were doing they'd be all over making sure going down there was safe because of how next to impossible coming back would be if something went wrong.

You can't stop rich people from doing ambitious ****, sure, jus look at how many of them are dead bodies now sprinkled around Mt. Everest and they still keep goin. 

Knock yourself out, but in regards to actually researching the bottom of the ocean, which we know less about then outer space, I'm willing to bet money we'd get better results them giving that money to people that know what are doing but jus need more funding to do it.

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

The earth is flat and the submarine fell off the edge 

Why can't we jus have a reality show where people who are convinced the world is flat get money and a camera to do it so we can watch Antarctica make cashmere sweatpants out them as they admit defeat or dying trying? 

Are we not there yet as a society to handle people dying trying every season?  Or do TV producers already know none of them are really bout that life that deep versus fact checking everyone from somewhere with climate control?

• Like 1

No I don’t expect them to understand the engineering effort behind doing it

yes I do expect them to understand the implicit dangers in going to the bottom of the ocean for vacation. 

who knows maybe their death moves a bunch of assets sitting in stocks to meaningful use. Or at least moving. They got 250k to spend on this… surely they have tons of money

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

yes I do expect them to understand the implicit dangers in going to the bottom of the ocean for vacation. 

who knows maybe their death moves a bunch of assets sitting in stocks to meaningful use. Or at least moving. They got 250k to spend on this… surely they have tons of money

larry-david-unsure.gif.86e03913d68f083cf4a5f554bde16110.gif

Eh...idk, seems inefficient for folks that can afford it to jus see what they can find versus giving to people that know what they are doing and what they are looking for because that's what they do for a living.

There's a reason Elon said he doesn't plan to be one of the first people to Mars himself despite how important he believe it is for us to be a multi-planet species...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

What’s more efficient than parting someone like that from their money?

But honestly I’m not a fan of telling people what they should or shouldn’t do with their money, or what they can or can’t afford. And I don’t think it’s the governments job to protect people from themselves. 

I’m sure we’ll find out the company cut corners. 🤷‍♂️ that’s expected imo. 

34 minutes ago, tshile said:

At least one of them was a scientist that devoted his life’s work to the sea…. So while I’m sure he understood the risks I don’t think I would agree he deserved it. I mean, do you think the people on Columbia or Challenger deserved death because they “knew the risks”??? Y’all are being pathetic.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Eh...idk, seems inefficient for folks that can afford it to jus see what they can find

do you know how most shipwrecks including the titanic are found?

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Fish informants...like a snook or a mackerel (in the Caribbean).

'course in the gulf its usually a mullet...except off Florida which is almost exclusively cased by clown fish.

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

Scientifically speaking we know a lot about the bottom of the ocean.  For example, I'm pretty sure I recently read a pre-print where they demonstrated the bottom of the ocean was actually under water.

Who knew?

Naturally I'd wait for peer review before taking it as gospel.

Who knew?

This guy, for one:

image.gif

Edited by Dan T.

39 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Good question, and want to reiterate my context to research of the deepest parts of the ocean, arguably the most unknown and dangerous place on the surface of the planet.

Having said, Titanic was found between rumors the US Navy already knew where it was and gave support to an oceanographer using underwater robots on condition he find the two missing nuclear subs first (Titanic was nestled in between them).

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history-and-civilisation/2018/11/titanic-was-found-during-secret-cold-war-navy-mission

Titanic was not found by amateurs.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

44 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

At least one of them was a scientist that devoted his life’s work to the sea…. So while I’m sure he understood the risks I don’t think I would agree he deserved it. I mean, do you think the people on Columbia or Challenger deserved death because they “knew the risks”??? Y’all are being pathetic.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I don’t think I ever used the word deserved

which is a conscious choice. 

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Good question, and want to reiterate my context to research of the deepest parts of the ocean, arguably the most unknown and dangerous place on the surface of the planet.

Having said, Titanic was found between rumors the US Navy already knew where it was and gave support to an oceanographer using underwater robots on condition he find the two missing nuclear subs first (Titanic was nestled in between them).

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/history-and-civilisation/2018/11/titanic-was-found-during-secret-cold-war-navy-mission

Titanic was not found by amateurs.

It and most ship wrecks were found by people who can afford to “jus look around”

I really don’t get the interest in telling people what they should and shouldn’t be able to do as long as laws aren’t being broken and they’re only putting themselves at risk.  

If people want to dive to the bottom of the ocean floor to see a historic shipwreck, have at it. Wouldn’t be on my list of things to do if I won the lottery but to each their own. 

There’s a reason you’ve gotta be a certain height to ride a roller coaster. 

Also it seems to me that there should be some kind of cable that would follow this thing to the bottom and be able to pull it up if something catastrophic were to happen. I get that it could get tangled in the shipwreck or caught on something else but there are engineers out there smarter than me who I bet could figure out a workaround. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tshile said:

The earth is flat and the submarine fell off the edge 

Thats why they stopped "looking". See how scary that **** is if you add quotes? Wake up

Anyway -- I read you had to say criss cross apple sauce before getting in. And my own head canon is that someone didn't do it cause they thought it was silly. And when the group realized they were trapped and running out of air they turned on that person first. Probably sacrificed them to the ocean gods for safe travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I really don’t get the interest in telling people what they should and shouldn’t be able to do as long as laws aren’t being broken and they’re only putting themselves at risk.  

If people want to dive to the bottom of the ocean floor to see a historic shipwreck, have at it. Wouldn’t be on my list of things to do if I won the lottery but to each their own. 

There’s a reason you’ve gotta be a certain height to ride a roller coaster. 

Also it seems to me that there should be some kind of cable that would follow this thing to the bottom and be able to pull it up if something catastrophic were to happen. I get that it could get tangled in the shipwreck or caught on something else but there are engineers out there smarter than me who I bet could figure out a workaround. 

Totally agree. 
No one else could get hurt as a result of this little clown car trip to the bottom of the ocean except the clowns who climbed in and let a guy with a Logitech controller take them miles undersea. Sorry for their families and all, I guess. But when you see that one of the stepkids goes to a Blink 182 show to help himself cope, you have to figure there isn't much going on there begin with. To willingly go to a Blink 182 show.. I don't know. Maybe step dad went down to escape his wife's idiot kid. 

~Bang

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 2

I'm sorry, but I find it funny that no one feels sorry for these people. I noticed the same thing that happened here recently with that plane that flew over NOVA and crashed in W.VA. Everyone was worried and concerned...until they found out they were rich.They didn't even get thoughts and prayers. Its almost like everyday people see the amount of money the wealthy spend on bull**** and are starting the resent the rich. 250k is a lot of money to die a slow, terrifying death...if they weren't crushed to death. People are thinking what they could do with that money in their lives and seeing what these fools decided to do.

• Like 3

Well I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong and the report of banging sounds blows a big hole in my catastrophic structure failure theory.

I did hear one of the experts saying that nondestructive inspections couldn't be done and I'm calling horse**** on that.  I submit my resume doing NDI work on JSF and Presidential Helo as proof of my expertise.  I can show evals if anyone wants to claim I'm being a keyboard expert.  That goes for anything else I claim to be knowledgeable on also.  Feel free to ask about my experience. 

• Like 2