Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

China

It should scare people to do something not even the government is doing.  We have been sending people to the moon... but have only limited experience with submersibles.  It does appear major navys have submersibles, but the intent is to rescue larger sized subs with them.

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not the first time it's been lost with people.

See, I knew that the idea of being able to find the sub had to have come up. It’s too obvious a problem not to. This company already lost a sub in the past for a time and still chose to do absolutely nothing about it. 

The owners were afraid their involvement in the Nordstream pipelines would be exposed, so they collected money from.gullible billionaires and then gassed the passengers once they submerged. They then stole any valuables on their persons, navigated the vessel to an escape vehicle, and sent the capsule to the bottom of the ocean to hide their crime. They're now living in relative comfort under assumed identities in Dubai.

This wouldn't have happened if Bruce Willis still had all his faculties.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Destino said:

See, I knew that the idea of being able to find the sub had to have come up. It’s too obvious a problem not to. This company already lost a sub in the past for a time and still chose to do absolutely nothing about it. 

Having a bit of knowledge of submarine operations,  I will be SHOCKED if they ever find them since they haven’t by now.  You have to factor in so much more volume than a land search.  2 and a half miles deep adds a lot to the calculation.  MH 370 had a beacon and still couldn't find it.

• Thumb up 1

I’m not giddy but I also don’t give a single **** about it. 

If you want to go to the bottom of the ocean to take pictures of a graveyard fine but you’re well aware of what the dangers and possibilities are. 

• Like 2

Just now, tshile said:

I’m not giddy but I also don’t give a single **** about it. 

If you want to go to the bottom of the ocean to take pictures of a graveyard fine but you’re well aware of what the dangers and possibilities are. 

That wasn't directed at you...some of the Twitter comments are horrific. I understand that people took and understood the risks, but they are still human beings. And the Titanic isn't just a graveyard. It's probably the most famous shipwreck in history (at least modern history), so it's more of a historical site than how you're describing it. People have been fascinated with it for a century. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I find it disturbing how many comments on Twitter are almost demonstrating giddiness about 4-5 people either already dead or probably frantically aware that they are hours away from dying somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. Seemingly simply because they are rich. Pretty disgusting. 

True.  But it's jealousy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Having a bit of knowledge of submarine operations,  I will be SHOCKED if they ever find them since they haven’t by now.  You have to factor in so much more volume than a land search.  2 and a half miles deep adds a lot to the calculation.  MH 370 had a beacon and still couldn't find it.

Not to be crass, but do you really?  This thing is at the exact same depth as the Titanic. 

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Drifted vertically?  

Oh I see what you mean...well, if it drifted, say 5 miles west, it could be at a completely different depth. I don't know how these things work and if it would just plummet to the bottom of the ocean or if it would go down at an angle and end up far away from where it was attempting to go. 

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not to be crass, but do you really?  This thing is at the exact same depth as the Titanic. 

Yea.  Most of my career was working on helos that have a huge role in anti sub warfare. I'm no sub commander but I have

a pretty solid understanding of the mechanics.  And the small size, lack of a received beacon, and the vast volume (not just area) that needs to be searched make it like searching for a needle in an ocean of haystacks.

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Drifted vertically?  

Yea.  A vessel that has a system designed to change depths, and we have no clue how it was functioning.  So now we have to factor in the current at all the different water levels from surface down 2.5 miles.  Someone else can do the math but that is a lot of volume.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2