Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

China

Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

A submersible craft carrying five people in the area of the Titanic wreck in the North Atlantic has been missing since Sunday, setting off a search and rescue operation by the U.S. Coast Guard, the agency said.

The Coast Guard confirmed Monday that it was searching for the vessel after the Canadian research ship MV Polar Prince lost contact with a submersible during a dive about 900 miles east of Cape Cod, Mass., on Sunday morning.

“It is a remote area and it is a challenge to conduct a search in that remote area, but we are deploying all available assets to make sure that we can locate the craft and rescue the people on board,” said Rear Admiral John Mauger of the U.S. Coast Guard.

The submersible disappeared in a portion of the ocean with a depth of roughly 13,000 feet. Admiral Mauger said the occupants would theoretically have between 70 to 96 hours of air as of late Monday afternoon.

Click on the link for the full article 

• Sad 2

How did they get away with charging 250k a head but not having a way to find the damned sub? Don’t planes have underwater locator beacons to help find them when they go down in the water? I’m assuming you could strap the same device, or something similar, to your wildly expensive tourist sub. 

whatever the tech may be I can’t believe that someone along the way failed to think “hey if this thing breaks down, how do we find it?” 

• Thanks 1

Assuming the worst, which is the most likely outcome I hope something structural failed on the submersible because I can't think of many ways I'd rank higher of not wanting to go than being in a tiny can at 13000 feet with 4 other people in the same predicament just waiting to run out of air for 4 or 5 days.

43 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

More likely stress fractures in welds due to pressure cycling than any control issues. The “why doesn’t it have gps” comments are kind of silly, gps doesn’t work under water. 

Airplane blackboxes allegedly can send signals underwater for up to 90 days. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

It’s aliens

“Dawood is also a trustee of the SETI Institute in California, according to a biography on its website. “

OceanGate > Heaven's Gate...I got it! they went up instead of down and now they're on Hale-Bopp!

• Haha 1