Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

China

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

And the Titanic isn't just a graveyard. It's probably the most famous shipwreck in history (at least modern history), so it's more of a historical site than how you're describing it

The fascination with it is that it’s a graveyard. 

not trying to downplay it just calling it what it is. Someone spent 250k to go down there to take pictures of it. Their submersible probably lost power and is floating around aimlessly. And they knew the risks. So. 🤷‍♂️ 

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

not trying to downplay it just calling it what it is. Someone spent 250k to go down there to take pictures of it. Their submersible probably lost power and is floating around aimlessly. And they knew the risks. So. 🤷‍♂️ 

I guess you can't get into each and every person's head, so you could be right. I always assumed the fascination with Titanic was the story of the "unsinkable ship" that sank and the tragedy of it all. Of course, the death of those people plays into it. But I don't think people were or are interested in recovering the shipwreck or exploring the wreckage to see dead bodies or what remains of the people who were killed. It's the historic significance of the event and what's left of the ship. At least that's always been my thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

I'm betting (heavily) on catastrophic structural failure.  The thing sounds "cutting edge" being made of carbon fiber and titanium.  I bet their maintenance inspection cycles weren't what they needed to be and a small rivet (or whatever) failure rapidly accelerated similar to the Challenger.  I can go into more depth if you all want but think about the strength of a soda can demonstrations.  

Unfortunately this also means we probably won't ever find the wreckage mainly because of how I explained volume and current above.  So it will be hard to actually know without wreckage to inspect.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm betting (heavily) on catastrophic structural failure.  The thing sounds "cutting edge" being made of carbon fiber and titanium.  I bet their maintenance inspection cycles weren't what they needed to be and a small rivet (or whatever) failure rapidly accelerated similar to the Challenger.  I can go into more depth if you all want but think about the strength of a soda can demonstrations.  

Unfortunately this also means we probably won't ever find the wreckage mainly because of how I explained volume and current above.  So it will be hard to actually know without wreckage to inspect.

yeah I was thinking about that when you were highlighting some of the parameters for a search area. 

if it imploded then who knows how it’ll float/sink

• Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, tshile said:

And now they get to meet the crew and passengers as well as see the wreck.

• Haha 1

To be honest I actually hope, for their sake, that it experienced a fault and implosion. That would at least be very very quick. Much better than suffering through seemingly endless hours of existential panic and torment followed by a slow suffocation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s just trendy to hate people who are rich now. 

There are worse trends.

Jeff bezos makes a million dollars an hour, not every hour he's working, every hour he's breathing.

That's right when you and him were sleeping last night he made 8 or 9 million dollars.

And these people are the ones who rigged the game so that they could do what their doing right now, they are NOT innocent and something needs to be done.

Rant over back to the topic at hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

Lots of Monday Morning Quarterbacking on the Internet.  3 days ago no one was talking about this being grossly unsafe. I would be that ship has taken 20+ trips.  I think this was the 4th of the year?   Any word on how they keep in communication?  I would think loss of comms would be pretty catastrophic...

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Lots of Monday Morning Quarterbacking on the Internet.  3 days ago no one was talking about this being grossly unsafe.

3 days, How about 5 years?

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/20/missing-titanic-submersible-41-hours-or-less-of-oxygen-left.html?&qsearchterm=missing submersible

Also Tuesday, federal court filings from a 2018 lawsuit came to light, revealing that a then-OceanGate director warned that the company’s submersible posed potential “extreme danger” to passengers because it had not been properly tested for use at very low water depths.

6 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

This headline is now on the CNN home page. Wouldn't 'underwater search capabilities' have been important from the beginning if you are looking for a submarine?

image.png.28b88034cef3ae09e750d6cadf4d50d5.png

@Bang is right, we already have a solution for stupid people and it's called natural selection.

Since I heard this story, I've wondered how you would get rescued from the bottom of the ocean during a tourist visit if something went wrong. 

thats-the-neat-part-you-dont-invincible.gif

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Given what's come out so far, I would doubt they had maintenance inspection cycles. 

Whoops!!!

"Furthermore, Lochridge said vessel's viewport, which allows passengers to look outside, was only certified by the manufacturer to withstand pressures at 1,300 meters below the surface. That was due to OceanGate's design of the vessel, which did not meet federal standards, according to the complaint."

Titan submersible updates: Rescuers race to find the Titan before air runs out : NPR

You can now add 5 more to the list of Titanic deaths except these did it willingly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe the bottom of the ocean should be a tourist destination and this reaffirms my beliefs on that.

We need to respect jus how dangerous going down that deep is and remember we know next nothing about it either.

Scientifically speaking we know a lot about the bottom of the ocean.  For example, I'm pretty sure I recently read a pre-print where they demonstrated the bottom of the ocean was actually under water.

Who knew?

Naturally I'd wait for peer review before taking it as gospel.

• Haha 3