Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

China

Dear God, make it stop…

Diversity drowning’: Titanic sub CEO saying he didn’t want to hire old white guys fuels claims it disappeared because it was too woke

The disappearance of the submersible exploring the Titanic has dominated headlines this week. The sub takes people to the vessel’s final resting place on the bottom of the ocean. It’s a trip for the extremely rich and adventurous. The Titanic sits in 12,500 feet of water, the minivan-sized submersible has no safety certification, and each trip costs $250,000.

On Sunday, the submersible lost contact with its support boat shortly after submerging. As hours grew to days, fears grew that the five people onboard the Titan were lost to the sea. On Wednesday, dread turned to tentative hope when rescue operations detected banging noises in the area where it went missing. Search efforts continue.

The blame game began almost as soon as the submersible went missing. Most are highlighting the sub’s design and the fact that OceanGate never sought safety certification in spite of warnings from within and without the company.

Now people have come up with the least sensible reason yet for why the Titan disappeared: the chief executive officer was too woke. The sole shred of “evidence” is a video of OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, who is also onboard the Titan, talking about not wanting to solely hire “50-year-old white guys” because they aren’t as “inspirational” to young people.

Conservatives seized on the clip. They think it’s evidence that the crash was caused by the crew being younger and nonwhite.

Click on the link for the full article 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

No but I assumed you'd know what I meant by it.

4 days worth of air for 5 people is 20 days worth of air for one person.

Yea, I was just being a pain in the ass.  I'm sorry.

Edit.  I've smoked now and Buzzette brought me a family size thing of chips ahoy.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 6/21/2023 at 12:38 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

The report I heard was saying a banging pattern at half hour intervals was heard.  Lots of possible sources but the most likely is the people are/were still alive.

****ty way to die.

Well I was on power failure and floating around aimlessly

so kudos to @TheGreatBuzz

although those were the only two choices. 

send the bill to the estates. 

A good rule of thumb for those with no exposure to the engineering industry

if you have someone engineering something and they say they don’t need to follow safety standards, or complain about safety standards, stay away. 

• Thumb up 1

Some reporter was trying to ask if they will recover the bodies.   They did not answer that, thankfully. 

Debris was found 1600 feet from the bow of Titanic.  

The Monday AM pileon is still baffling.  This thing was so unsafe that last year CBS News sent a reporter and news crew on it.  

Oceangate had partners that helped them build and design this thing.  We all will want to know who, what, how.  

• Like 1

There was Tweet that said, "We worked with partners NASA, Hypersizer Collier Aerospace to design Titan's carbon fiber hull to withstand pressures of the Titanic." 

There were also materials that referenced Boeing and University of Washington.  

https://www.nwyachting.com/titan-of-industry/

All of OceanGate Inc.’s submersibles—there are currently four including Titan—are developed out of the company’s homebase at the Port of Everett, with testing and research dives often taking place in nearby Possession Sound. Local partnerships abound: OceanGate collaborated with NASA on some of the technical aspects of Titan, but they also leaned on the experts at Boeing and the University of Washington Applied Physics Lab during fabrication. Toray in Tacoma produced the carbon fiber composite material for the submersible, Janicki Industries out of Sedro-Wooley did all the machining work, and then the UW stepped up again to help OceanGate test the pressure vessel at their School of Oceanography. “It’s really unique to have all these companies and resources available to us here locally,” says Rush. “It’s been a great community to work with.”

https://www.prweb.com/releases/oceangate_inc_s_carbon_fiber_and_titanium_5_crewmember_submersible_dives_3800_meters_to_the_titanic_wreck_site/prweb18066066.htm

We thank our industry partners for their support in technology, engineering, and manufacturing of the OceanGate, Inc. Titan submersible:

2G Robotics – Underwater laser scanning
Boeing – Design and engineering support
ElectroImpact – Aerospace-grade manufacturing
Horizon Maritime and the crew of the Horizon Arctic
Inmarsat – Satellite communications
Janicki Industries – Aerospace-grade manufacturing
NASA – Design and engineering support
Northrop Grumman – Deep Ocean Test Facility
Sonardyne – Submersible tracking and communications
SubC – Undersea cameras
Toray – Aerospace-grade carbon fiber material
Teledyne – Subsea lighting

• Haha 1

I'm hearing this is all Deep State wet work. The submersible nearly found the Biden Crime family's underwater BASE of EVIL, so Trump and JFK ordered a Space force torpedo strike to take them out before they could spread wokeness to the bottom of the ocean.

Anything to this, y'think?
Sounds plausible.

~Bong

• Haha 4

I guess it's kind of good news that it was likely sudden catastrophic implosion/failure.  Quicker and less awful way to die than slowly suffocating and seeing it coming.  Still awfully sad.  Seems like the company has blood on its hands.  

@Captain Wiggles

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220111-why-nasa-is-exploring-the-deepest-oceans-on-earth

you look silly 

19 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I guess it's kind of good news that it was likely sudden catastrophic implosion/failure.  Quicker and less awful way to die than slowly suffocating and seeing it coming.  Still awfully sad.  Seems like the company has blood on its hands.  

One thing people don’t seem to be recognizing - international waters have their own set of rules and who has jurisdiction will be up for debate. 

people are talking about law suites - do these people even know which jurisdictions those would have to be filed in, and what the actual law would have to say about liability? What the waivers were? Or are they just running their mouth cause they died?

people are talking about industry standards - but what does that mean in unregulated international waters? Isn’t that governed by treaties and such? How is any of this covered? What dictates which industry standards apply?

not to mention - by the time any of that is sorted out, and a ruling is issued for the plaintiffs, will there even be any money? They had four of these. I’m assuming they’ll cease operations if for no other reason than their reputation is now that they cut corners and got 5 people killed. 

it’s entirely possible there is no liability here. Or if there is - there’s nothing to be gained from it by the victims families. 

Edited by tshile
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

How'd that NASA partnership work out for these bozos tho @tshile? Probably should have gone with the NOAA instead. 🤪

Given you didn’t even know they go into the ocean, much less the deepest parts, you’re not doing too well on this topic at the moment 

And unlike some 3rd rate engineers that manage to get famous being silly, NASA tends to respect rigorous testing and establishing standards 

• Haha 1