Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

China

@tshile

I think you could sue the company for "gross" negligence.  Waivers probably only cover "ordinary" negligence.  Certainly you can take an American company to court in America. 

I do withdraw some of my MMQB discussion for James Cameron's comments.  If people wrote letters to OceanGate warning about not getting certification... and he did mention this is a "mature art".... and there have been no deaths since the 1960s in these type of vehicle.  

His comments are fair since he's deep in the submersible community, designed one to go to the Marianas Trench. It does seem shocking that a famous submersible pilot, PH Nargeolet would have put himself in an unsafe submersible.

• Like 1

the NYT podcast "the daily" today had a discussion of this with a reporter with real expertise and experience with deep sea tourism/adventuring.  He is generally very positive of the overall project of these kinds of companies, but was extremely damning of this particular group.  They really cut corners and ignored safety concerns.  Really awful.  It's worth a listen.  

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I've yet to figure out if it's unreasonable to equip these things with some type of blackbox.

If you spend time reading Wikipedia analysis (yeah that’s as much effort as I’m willing to put in) it seems they do a pretty good job with this stuff when they get to examine it within reasonable time. The longer it takes (titanic took what 70 years just to find where it was) the more legit competing theories you get (there will also be other theories but sometimes they’ve got little to no peer backing)

they’re taking pictures in less than a week. I think given what we know they’re gonna narrow it down to something pretty well. 

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/06/22/us/titanic-missing-submarine#UmVwb3J0ZXJVcGRhdGU6bnl0Oi8vcmVwb3J0ZXJ1cGRhdGUvMDAxMzUyODMtMWI4MC01MWVhLWJjM2EtY2RmZmYxZTk3OGM1

A senior U.S. Navy official said that the Navy had, through acoustic analysis, “detected an anomaly consistent with an implosion or explosion in the general vicinity of where the Titan submersible was operating when communications were lost.” The official said that the identification was “not definitive,” the information was immediately shared with the search effort, and that the decision was made to continue searching to “make every effort to save the lives on board.”

• Sad 1

In this episode of How to Spot an Idiot

we look at the responses on Twitter to the breaking news the Navy captured the implosion and informed the search team, how people are blaming them for somehow having done wrong by not publicly announcing it, including various accusations of the white house doing this on purpose to cover up <whatever>

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

He's got kids dude. 😒

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9523hoo2hqfcz8w74yx2

It’s just lunch tho 🤷‍♀️

Just now, tshile said:

In this episode of How to Spot an Idiot

we look at the responses on Twitter to the breaking news the Navy captured the implosion and informed the search team, how people are blaming them for somehow having done wrong by not publicly announcing it, including various accusations of the white house doing this on purpose to cover up <whatever>

I’m kind of surprised they announced they detected the implosion. That seems kind of impressive to me.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Woah.... it took 73 years to find the Titanic.  If this ROV truly found  debris field and either whatever is left of this sub (or intact) -- I find that amazing and worthwhile/valuable to have used the resources in this manner.

I am skeptical that this is the remains of the Titan.... but astonishing if true.

That's a little different. For most of those 73 years, they had no idea where exactly the Titanic was. Since then, that area has been mapped out numerous times and at the very least, they know this submersible is in the general area of the Titanic. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

That's a little different. For most of those 73 years, they had no idea where exactly the Titanic was. Since then, that area has been mapped out numerous times and at the very least, they know this submersible is in the general area of the Titanic. 

That and technology has advanced immensely in the 40 years since they found the titanic than it was in the 73 years before they had.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

51 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m kind of surprised they announced they detected the implosion. That seems kind of impressive to me.

I’m assuming that was going to be in a public report. They found the ship and weren’t going to make up how. “The navy said they heard it so we looked really hard right around where they were supposed to be and found it” is probably easier to deal with than manufacturing something. 

but yeah they listen to the ocean and don’t really want to expound on that. 

Edited by tshile

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

but yeah they listen to the ocean and don’t really want to expound on that. 

Yeah, pretty sure that the answers to:  

It was heard by the __________, which was at location __________, and can hear these things at a range of ________, and was able to transmit this information to the pentagon at ________. 

Are all "classified". 

• Like 2