Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Missing Submersible Vessel Disappears During Dive to the Titanic Wreck Site

China

35 minutes ago, tshile said:

I believe it’s public info the navy listens to the ocean for missile launch and other things 

I may be making that up but I think so 

I’m not surprised they listen to the ocean, but hearing tin can getting crushed in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean is pretty pretty pretty good.

32 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not surprised they listen to the ocean, but hearing tin can getting crushed in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean is pretty pretty pretty good.

Yeah they’re pretty good at listening 

in fact the navy is pretty good at a lot of stuff. It’s why they’re the main player in signal intelligence

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I believe it’s public info the navy listens to the ocean for missile launch and other things 

I may be making that up but I think so 

I'm sure it's just their "whale monitoring system."

https://www.navymarinespeciesmonitoring.us/blog/new-acoustic-monitoring-buoy-helps-researchers-study-and-protect-north-atlantic-right-whales/

• Haha 3

Yeah … the Navy has some stuff.

Marine biologists were studying whale sounds and how they travelled across the oceans over many decades onward from the 60s and data was hard to come by. With the end of the Cold War and diminished threats from Soviet subs, the US Navy offered some of the biologists a chance to observe the real-time recordings from the Sound Surveillance System (SOSUS) hydrophones. On their first day looking at the data the biologists saw more blue whale vocalizations from a single sensor than had been described before in the entire scientific literature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I used to love getting on planes as a kid.

Then I went thru AFROTC and ground school and learned how planes work and how they are flown.

Now I'm kinda paranoid every time I step on a plane cuz I know what has to go right.

Now I see a guy putting his sub together w/ hand tools...

That just "ratcheted" my paranoia up a couple of notches.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

They ever figure out why they decided to make a sub for a dive this deep out of carbon fiber?  That seemed nuts to me from the start. I’m guessing it was cheaper, but did no one think hey maybe we should make sure this thing won’t implode if we keep subjecting it to crushing forces?

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

They ever figure out why they decided to make a sub for a dive this deep out of carbon fiber?  That seemed nuts to me from the start. I’m guessing it was cheaper, but did no one think hey maybe we should make sure this thing won’t implode if we keep subjecting it to crushing forces?

James Cameron did a lengthy interview with Anderson cooper last night where he covered this. It’s worth going to their site and watching it

but the short version: yeah the whole community had a problem with it and put a letter together and sent it to the company outlining their concerns 

and he’s aware of someone else who built a submersible that way but ultimately never deployed it due to the concerns shared by the community

he takes time to explain why it’s bad and how it implodes. Basically water works it’s way in between the layers and separates the fibers from the adhesive/resin. Much like the Russian titanium subs, the problem slowly works in over time and you can have a successful deep dive X times and them X+1 ends in implosion. 

they claimed they couldn’t do hull scans on it so instead relied on acoustic testing and that’s flawed. 

anyways. Interview worth watchung

i assume he knows what he’s talking about. He appeared quite authoritative on it. No idea if that’s actually deserved 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

James Cameron did a lengthy interview with Anderson cooper last night where he covered this. It’s worth going to their site and watching it

but the short version: yeah the whole community had a problem with it and put a letter together and sent it to the company outlining their concerns 

and he’s aware of someone else who built a submersible that way but ultimately never deployed it due to the concerns shared by the community

he takes time to explain why it’s bad and how it implodes. Basically water works it’s way in between the layers and separates the fibers from the adhesive/resin. Much like the Russian titanium subs, the problem slowly works in over time and you can have a successful deep dive X times and them X+1 ends in implosion. 

they claimed they couldn’t do hull scans on it so instead relied on acoustic testing and that’s flawed. 

anyways. Interview worth watchung

i assume he knows what he’s talking about. He appeared quite authoritative on it. No idea if that’s actually deserved 

He’s part of that community, going underwater 33 times I think.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He’s part of that community, going underwater 33 times I think.

Yes and he speaks that way. Hence me saying he came across very authoritative 

on his resume, among other things, are sub design and going to Challenger deep, I believe the deepest known point in the world 

he went into depth on certification companies and other things. Of all the interviews it was the most bang for the buck one I’ve seen yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tshile said:

You can absolutely do an inspection on carbon fiber.  I have literally designed, performed, and taught others to do inspections on it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1