Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama

PCS

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Nope, but

Settle is 2.6 Mil cap hit w/ the Bills

Ion is 2 Mil cap hit w/ Car

Prospects of extending Payne is iffy

Even if you outbid for Settle/Ion and choose to commit to Payne. your not paying 4 DTs starter money. If any 1 of those 3 situations were different, you don't need to spend a 2 on a DT.

SInce we let Settle walk, cut Ion and made our own bed w/ Payne. this was a self created problem that we spent a good asset to resolve

Or resign Payne using cap savings of not having to pay two veterans. Ion was set to be a 6-8 mil cap hit, right? And Settle got 7mil guaranteed over two seasons. 

Not a right or wrong answer to what Ron and company decided to do at this point 

• Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Nope, but

Settle is 2.6 Mil cap hit w/ the Bills

Ion is 2 Mil cap hit w/ Car

Prospects of extending Payne is iffy

Even if you outbid for Settle/Ion and choose to commit to Payne. your not paying 4 DTs starter money. If any 1 of those 3 situations were different, you don't need to spend a 2 on a DT.

SInce we let Settle walk, cut Ion and made our own bed w/ Payne. this was a self created problem that we spent a good asset to resolve

Ion's cap hit would NOT have been 2m here. I believe we saved 7m letting him go. I suspect he wasn't going to sign here for same terms as he signed in Carolina AND this year's cap hit is only part of the story.  Same with Settle. Cap hit now or dead cap money later. 

Depth players need to be on cheap contracts. Especially when you have a WR you want to keep. 17 is going to cost $ that would've been high end QB money only a couple years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Listening to weei in Boston today, and they were talking about the Cole strange pick in the 1st.  One of the guys said since strange was such a good guy, someone should go to the airport with a welcome sign that says please don't take it personally that every fan hates this pick.  Maybe someone should do the same for Mathis.

1 minute ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Ion's cap hit would NOT have been 2m here. I believe we saved 7m letting him go. I suspect he wasn't going to sign here for same terms as he signed in Carolina AND this year's cap hit is only part of the story.  Same with Settle. Cap hit now or dead cap money later. 

Depth players need to be on cheap contracts. Especially when you have a WR you want to keep. 17 is going to cost $ that would've been high end QB money only a couple years ago. 

Even if you pay more than what Ion got in Car, the act of cutting and resigning him would have been a net gain of Cap space.

Settle isnt making big money. He is on a cheap contract

Resigning Payne would likely see us save several million this year just like it did for Allen

Like I said, you don't need all three, just need 1 of those situations to reverse. Payne and Ion would result in net savings, and Settle would've been cheap.

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Even if you pay more than what Ion got in Car, the act of cutting and resigning him would have been a net gain of Cap space.

Settle isnt making big money. He is on a cheap contract

Resigning Payne would likely see us save several million this year just like it did for Allen

Like I said, you don't need all three, just need 1 of those situations to reverse. Payne and Ion would result in net savings, and Settle would've been cheap.

You're assuming Ion would've resigned after being cut. And that the Carolina signing was a good one. Getting 2019 Ion? Maybe worth it. Getting 2020 or 21? I don't think it is.  

And I don't think letting Settle sign somewhere else for what he got is some great sign of incompetence. He had averaged less than 1 tackle per game. 

Im not saying he wont be good....but... this was such an unnecessary pick.  Unnecessary in that Ron and Co didnt bother to think about what if they let Settle and Ioannidis go and then didnt want to resign Payne.  Unnecessary because if you had thought about it, and just kept Ioannidis or resigned Settle, you wouldnt have had to spend a 2nd round pick filling a hole, and instead could have gotten a top LB/DB OLinemen to actually make this team better, rather than just trying to play catch-up to what it was.

He has to be way better than either of them were for this to make any sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Im not saying he wont be good....but... this was such an unnecessary pick.  Unnecessary in that Ron and Co didnt bother to think about what if they let Settle and Ioannidis go and then didnt want to resign Payne.  Unnecessary because if you had thought about it, and just kept Ioannidis or resigned Settle, you wouldnt have had to spend a 2nd round pick filling a hole, and instead could have gotten a top LB/DB OLinemen to actually make this team better, rather than just trying to play catch-up to what it was.

He has to be way better than either of them were for this to make any sense.

Yeah that's kinda how I feel. I mean, it ends up being a necessary pick because of holes we created. But the arsonist can't also be the fireman.

He'll be a fine player I'm sure, but this didn't really move our team forward.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah that's kinda how I feel. I mean, it ends up being a necessary pick because of holes we created. But the arsonist can't also be the fireman.

He'll be a fine player I'm sure, but this didn't really move our team forward.

While depth on the DL is a need, there are plenty of options. Not only in the draft but also free agency (Lotulelei?). So I don't view this as a need pick. They are other positions of greater need. The FO clearly likes this guy. Whether they should is another question, however. So far the draft has been underwhelming

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

If we were going DT, I thought we would draft Alfred Gainsworth...but maybe we pick him up in a few years as a free agent.

At least we can still get Darius Bryce at RB.

I saw your stand up routine at Hortons rake house once

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

You're assuming Ion would've resigned after being cut. And that the Carolina signing was a good one. Getting 2019 Ion? Maybe worth it. Getting 2020 or 21? I don't think it is.  

And I don't think letting Settle sign somewhere else for what he got is some great sign of incompetence. He had averaged less than 1 tackle per game.

DT was the strongest and deepest spot on our team.

In one offseason, thanks to letting Settle walk for peanuts, willingly cutting Ion and not committing to a future w/ Payne it became a hole so large we had to fill it w/ a 2nd round pick.

Instead of building the rest of our roster around the D-line, we have to spend more assets on the Dline. Its a figurative hamster wheel of a maneuver.

If you do things differently w/ just one of those 3 players, you can spend the 2nd rounder to improve the team and not to rebuild the line that we ourselves tore down.

• Thanks 1

I love the pick, but it feels like one round early. But then I heard many people expected him to be a 2nd round guy prior to the senior bowl. So maybe this was his range? He clearly fits a need. Unfortunately, it's a need created by what appears to be mismanagement by our FO. Glad to have him as I'm sure he will be great on our line. I just wish we could've retained one or two of our DLs and addressed MLB or CB at this spot. Welcome to Washington, Phiddy. 

10 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

So you think they should've kept 4 DTs making starter money? 

This is the reality we'd be inevitably faced with, I could've lived with two if them making starter money l, I doubt anyone believes we should've paid 4 starter money. 

I agree with @KDawg in wanting to resist the urge to bash this pick in this players welcome thread.  It's a long season, maybe we do figure it out with Payne.

But our cap plus Wentz shifted our priorities in regards to having to fill more spots with rookie contracts.  So this is maybe a little more complicated then what the topic of this particular thread should be.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1