Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama

PCS

20 minutes ago, dyst said:

We really gonna lose Payne for nothing huh

It's not nothing if you consider he played out his rookie contract. Could end up with a compensatory pick I guess. All we gotta do is draft a Bama DT every four years.

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Listening to his interview and he is absolutely the firey dog we need on this line. Says that Payne was like his big brother. Now that I'm done scratching my head over this pick, I'm really excited. 

I was thinking about drafting Davis and having him out there with Allen and Payne, along with Chase was pretty exciting and this gives me the same feel. Our entire line rotation should stay fresh with no drop off all game long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

This is the reality we'd be inevitably faced with, I could've lived with two if them making starter money l, I doubt anyone believes we should've paid 4 starter money. 

I agree with @KDawg in wanting to resist the urge to bash this pick in this players welcome thread.  It's a long season, maybe we do figure it out with Payne.

But our cap plus Wentz shifted our priorities in regards to having to fill more spots with rookie contracts.  So this is maybe a little more complicated then what the topic of this particular thread should be.

Essentially everyone saying we blew it by cutting Ion and letting Settle sign elsewhere are advocating for more than 2 DTs making starter money at the position. 

Right now our QB position, even with Wentz, is at the bottom of the QB salary range if you exclude rookie QBs.  And our best reciever is due for a HUGE raise in the next year. Just not economical to keep expensive "depth" players which is what Settle and Ion were.

Hey Phidarian, welcome to the team. Now go out there and make everyone forget about those 2 DTs you're replacing! 

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Essentially everyone saying we blew it by cutting Ion and letting Settle sign elsewhere are advocating for more than 2 DTs making starter money at the position. 

I didn't want to do this here, but fine.

I don't see people bashing letting Settle leave in a vacuum, but combining with cutting Ion after FA despite the FO telling his agent he was in their plans cut the depth of our deepest position in half while also doing one of them dirty. 

Right now our QB position, even with Wentz, is at the bottom of the QB salary range if you exclude rookie QBs.  And our best reciever is due for a HUGE raise in the next year. Just not economical to keep expensive "depth" players which is what Settle and Ion were.

We didn't plan our cap for trading for that contract, that's why we are cutting people left and right to make it work.  Settle and Ion are only depth players here, but they are starters else where and would be fine starting in the event of Payne and Allen going down, we'd be fine, let's not disrespect their talent because we don't "need them".

Hey Phidarian, welcome to the team. Now go out there and make everyone forget about those 2 DTs you're replacing! 

If we let Payne walk, we are talking about at best getting comp picks for two players to combine with this guy we just drafted who's never played an NFL snap to replace three starting caliber NFL DTs. I would rather trade Ion and/or Payne to get closer to fair value for this exodus. 

Phidarian can do his job but alone cannot make up for that, he doesn't need that kinda pressure, be fair to homie.

Misplaced negativity towards the young man himself is a bit frustrating.

I feel bad for guys like him and Cole Strange who are, quite frankly, damn good football players. Their biggest crime is being picked earlier than a lot of us thought they would be...

Meaning they are guilty of a team believing in them. And that's it.

Whether they should or shouldn't have is largely irrelevant to the point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Listening to his interview and he is absolutely the firey dog we need on this line. Says that Payne was like his big brother. Now that I'm done scratching my head over this pick, I'm really excited. 

I was thinking about drafting Davis and having him out there with Allen and Payne, along with Chase was pretty exciting and this gives me the same feel. Our entire line rotation should stay fresh with no drop off all game long.

How many dogs do we need. Isn’t Allen, Payne and Chase suppose to be dogs.

I always remind myself how silly it is to get all up in arms about draft picks in the moment. I vividly remember people complaining that we drafted a

special teams player in the 3rd round when we grabbed Terry. And on the flip side, I remember celebrating Guice who ended up out of the league in 2 years. Let it play out.

They took on a large QB contract for a QB they are betting on to actually run an NFL offense that can push the ball down the field. That required some different financial decisions to be made and opened up a need for a rotational DT. In a division where we play 6 games a year against teams that run the football and can run it well, run stuffers aren’t nobodies. He seems like he may be able to grow into even more than that, but we’ll see.

I think one of my biggest pet peeves these days is that because it is a passing league, everyone just assumes that concepts like running the football or stopping the run aren’t important and are a waste of earlier round picks. I just don’t agree with that logic at all. It’s why I love what they are doing offensively. They are building an offense that should be able to do both things well, lots of speed and new era players that can open the offense up. But if we can hopefully get a lead we have the personnel with Gibson Robinson and our OL to wear on teams.

I’m sure everyone already knows this but one of the worst things in football is the inability to stop the run. Just getting gashed for 10-15 yard chunks all day makes it nearly impossible for the D to stop anything run or pass. If Mathis can help to solidify the depth in our interior and give us insurance for Payne who we really probably can’t pay anyway if we want to be able to pay young and sweat along with Allen, then it’s a good solid pick. This one is a head scratcher to me, I see multiple sources outside of the commanders saying he would have gone in the next 10 picks anyways. It’s not a sexy pick and I probably would have gone Troy Anderson and bet on the upside of a player like that but I’m not going to sit here and act like using a second round pick on a defensive lineman that looks like a good solid player is some atrocity of a decision. 

You know how I know we’re getting better from a roster standpoint? We never used to lose guys that would be picked up as starters elsewhere, most would wash out the league. We’ve never been in a position before where we have Allen and Payne and can draft to replace guys that are cut or free agents that play behind them. For years we’d be praying a guy like Mathis could enter the starting lineup and be a capable lineman. Now he’s coming into a situation where he can soak it all up and learn behind 2 really good players while spelling them. It’s not a terrible allocation of resources, a lot of hot takes in here lol. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Misplaced negativity towards the young man himself is a bit frustrating.

I feel bad for guys like him and Cole Strange who are, quite frankly, damn good football players. Their biggest crime is being picked earlier than a lot of us thought they would be...

Whether they should or shouldn't have is largely irrelevant to the point.

Agreed. Mathis is a good football player. Fills a role as a run stopping rotational DT. Some might say his advanced age(already 24, same age as Payne)is a bad thing, but it also means we're gonna get him through his likely prime years for really cheap. He's a fine addition to the team.

The issue again is the process. We drafted him because we cut Ion, lost Settle for not much money, and have basically already committed to not extending Payne. We burned a house down and are using Mathis as the extinguisher. Damn fine extinguisher sure, but it shouldn't have come to that. And there's a pretty good chance we could have gotten him later. I didn't see him ranked by anyone as a 2nd rounder. 

Acquiring a player like Mathis in of himself is fine, but the entire process with which it played out was poor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed. Mathis is a good football player. Fills a role as a run stopping rotational DT. Some might say his advanced age(already 24, same age as Payne)is a bad thing, but it also means we're gonna get him through his likely prime years for really cheap. He's a fine addition to the team.

The issue again is the process. We drafted him because we cut Ion, lost Settle for not much money, and have basically already committed to not extending Payne. We burned a house down and are using Mathis as the extinguisher. Damn fine extinguisher sure, but it shouldn't have come to that. And there's a pretty good chance we could have gotten him later. I didn't see him ranked by anyone as a 2nd rounder. 

Acquiring a player like Mathis in of himself is fine, but the entire process with which it played out was poor.

Agree. But again, that’s not an indictment on Mathis. So I think this thread should be reserved to talking about HIS strengths and weaknesses and not the FO.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Suffering from Success - Wikipedia

They are high round NFL draft picks, they can cry tears into their pimp cups.

People are going to over criticize every play they make/miss from here on out. They just get a taste of that life early.

Even LeBron James has dudes attacking his every move, nobody is safe from it and they all get it eventually.

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Suffering from Success - Wikipedia

They are high round NFL draft picks, they can cry tears into their pimp cups.

People are going to over criticize every play they make/miss from here on out. They just get a taste of that life early.

Even LeBron James has dudes attacking his every move, nobody is safe from it and they all get it eventually.

Doesn't make any difference to me what people do. I couldn't care less. But empathy for others humans is okay. Doesn't make you less of a man. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Doesn't make any difference to me what people do. I couldn't care less. But empathy for others humans is okay. Doesn't make you less of a man. 

Man came out and questioned his own draft slot. I don't think empathy is the narrative here.

Criticism is like half the job for any professional athlete. It should be expected. They aint the first guys to have their draft slot questioned, they wont be the last.

Edited by FootballZombie

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I didn't want to do this here, but fine.

Then why go on and do it? Jus something to think about. 

Doesn't matter if Settle and Ion are starters elsewhere. They weren't going to be here and their cost was greater than their contribution. Every dollar that goes to DT depth cannot go to frontline WR. That's basic math in a salary cap league.

We'll see if Mathis cost is greater than his contribution.  My bet is not only is his contribution greater than his cost... but also greater than both of the players he replaced. 

• Like 1

Took so many losses, can’t believe I finally get to win”

A 2nd round draft pick in the NFL needs empathy because, oh no, he was picked too high? 

”Let emm know”

please, didn’t he play at Alabama?  So many losses?  I’m sure he’s had trials and tribulations like all of us but the sob story angle is a little much.

Play ball

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumb down 2

I like the looks of this kid, but anybody that watched college football knows he wasn’t  the player Nakobe Dean was. I’d rather have had a pick with upside here and grabbed a journeyman FA DT. 

Still, I like the player and will root for him. 

Dominating in run defense has immense value in todays NFL. If a defense is average against the run they will struggle to have any chance against the better offenses in the league. In todays NFL, if a team can maintain balance (60-40) the defense will get shredded. Must eliminate the run game for the better offenses to have any chance (must make them one dimensional).

Run defense remains vital. Won’t find it difficult to find Ram players and coaches laud the efforts of Ashawn Robinson and at times the biggest factor in run/overall defense.

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1