Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama

PCS

8 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Local guy... Manassas n VA Tech. 

Idk that's really it. He wasn't really a contributor when he actually did get playing time. 🥱

His play time shrank to nothing last year and our 2 main DTs were playing between 70 and 98% of snaps. That's awful and wouldn't have happened if Settle was worth playing.

So we added a former first rounder in Obada and drafted another Bama from that pipeline. That was an obvious need we didn't see.

Settle obviously wasn't a priority. Reminds me of when Baker left. And I was pro Baker.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

His play time shrank to nothing last year and our 2 main DTs were playing between 70 and 98% of snaps. That's awful and wouldn't have happened if Settle was worth playing.

So we added a former first rounder in Obada and drafted another Bama from that pipeline. That was an obvious need we didn't see.

Settle obviously wasn't a priority. Reminds me of when Baker left. And I was pro Baker.

I speculate Settle was in group of guys not maintaining gap control and playing with in the scheme. As well as Matty Ice. 

Can’t say I blame some guys at times if they’re attempting preserve their careers and need opportunities to flash or produce stats versus sacrifice for the team. 

On 4/30/2022 at 9:44 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Listening to his interview and he is absolutely the firey dog we need on this line. Says that Payne was like his big brother. Now that I'm done scratching my head over this pick, I'm really excited. 

I was thinking about drafting Davis and having him out there with Allen and Payne, along with Chase was pretty exciting and this gives me the same feel. Our entire line rotation should stay fresh with no drop off all game long.

Yeah I talked about this in other threads.  Mathis, team captain, has the reputation as a boisterous-infectious personality.   You can see it some when you watch him and he makes plays -- he is like Chris Baker on steroids as far as his personality at times on the field. 

Gibbs has talked about this over the years, you need a mix of personalities in his view for the best lockerooms.  We don't want almost exclusively quiet-introverts.

Of course the dude has to be able to play.  The Alabama D linemen that have gone early including 2nd round have typically done well in the league.  

We are spoiled from having years of good D lines to be now thinking -- an Alabama D lineman who had 10.5 sacks, team leader, stops the run -- "meh", yawn.

There has been this running narrative for years that they can't keep the band together at D line because they can't pay 4 guys -- if Mathis works out in one fell swoop its put that narrative to rest.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'd add this.  Sometimes a narrative will escape conventional wisdom on the board.  I think there are a lot of smart people here and i enjoy reading all the posts.

But i think the idea behind this pick escaped as far as I can tell everyone here, and that doesn't really happen often, so on the rare time it does it feels jarring including to me. 😀

After they made that pick, I went for a run to clear my mind and think about it.   And the logic behind the pick started to register with me even though it never crossed my mind previously.  It did cross my mind that they might take a D lineman who majors in pass rushing early.  But more of a dude who majors in run stuffing i wasn't thinking about early on but for later in the draft.

A.  The NFC East in particular is becoming even more so about the trenches.  Giants drafted and signed a combination of 9 O lineman this off season.  And adding to the D line.  The Eagles has been adding to their D line and O line as usual.  Ditto Dallas.  If we want to fight fire with fire, you got to keep that cooking on our end too.    

B.  the third defensive tackle is basically a starter.  They play almost as much as Payne and Allen.  If we are keeping our ballyhooed D line as our strength is that really happening with someone like Daniel Wise being in effect the third starter at tackle?

C.  this protects us if we can't afford Payne

D.  Adding some zest-leadership to the lockeroom might be a good thing

E.   the Eagles major in running the ball.  So do the Giants when Barkley is healthy.  Dallas is schizophrenic on that front but they have fazes where they major in running the ball

F.   Del Rio likes to use 5 man fronts to stop run oriented teams.  It's something he did more last year and for a change they actually were good against the run.  So why not strengthen this some versus weaken it?  Ionnadis and Settle had some pass rushing chops but were inconsistent against the run. 

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd add this.  Sometimes a narrative will escape conventional wisdom on the board.  I think there are a lot of smart people here and i enjoy reading all the posts.

But i think the idea behind this pick escaped as far as I can tell everyone here, and that doesn't really happen often, so on the rare time it does it feels jarring including to me. 😀

After they made that pick, I went for a run to clear my mind and think about it.   And the logic behind the pick started to register with me even though it never crossed my mind previously.  It did cross my mind that they might take a D lineman who majors in pass rushing early.  But more of a dude who majors in run stuffing i wasn't thinking about early on but later.

A.  The NFC East in particular is becoming even more so about the trenches.  Giants drafted and signed a combination of 9 O lineman this off season.  And adding to the D line.  The Eagles has been adding to their D line and O line as usual.  Ditto Dallas.  If we want to fight fire with fire, you got to keep that cooking on our end do.    

B.  the third defensive tackle is a starter.  They play almost as much as Payne and Allen.  If we are keeping our ballyhooed D line as our strength is that really happening with someone like Daniel Wise being in effect the third starter at tackle?

E.   the Eagles major in running the ball.  So do the Giants when Barkley is healthy.  Dallas is schizophrenic on that front but they have fazes where they major in running the ball

F.   Del Rio likes to use 5 man fronts to stop run oriented teams.  It's something he did more last year and for a change they actually were good against the run.  So why not strengthen this some versus weaken it?  Ionnadis and Settle had some pass rushing chops but were inconsistent against the run. 

Disagree on the Giants running the ball.  Buffalo never ran much with Allen.  They are going to test Jones this year to see if he's the guy.  Barkley stinks as a RB.  Has no toughness.  

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Disagree on the Giants running the ball.  Buffalo never ran much with Allen.  They are going to test Jones this year to see if he's the guy.  Barkley stinks as a RB.  Has no toughness.  

You can disagree because we don't know yet what the Giants will do.  But if you think Daboll will see Daniel Jones as apples to apples to Josh Allen -- I really hope you are right and the Giants throw the ball like mad.  

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 2.04.54 PM.png

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You can disagree because we don't know yet what the Giants will do.  But if you think Daboll will see Daniel Jones as apples to apples to Josh Allen -- I really hope you are right and the Giants throw the ball like mad.  

Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 2.04.54 PM.png

Yeah, but Buffalo designed a ton of runs for Josh Allen (he also runs on his own a lot too).  In terms of strictly RB runs, I've never thought they were run heavy.  Maybe they do decide to try and make Jones like Allen in the run game.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

After they made that pick, I went for a run to clear my mind and think about it.   And the logic behind the pick started to register with me even though it never crossed my mind previously.  It did cross my mind that they might take a D lineman who majors in pass rushing early.  But more of a dude who majors in run stuffing i wasn't thinking about early on but for later in the draft.

A.  The NFC East in particular is becoming even more so about the trenches.  Giants drafted and signed a combination of 9 O lineman this off season.  And adding to the D line.  The Eagles has been adding to their D line and O line as usual.  Ditto Dallas.  If we want to fight fire with fire, you got to keep that cooking on our end too.    

B.  the third defensive tackle is basically a starter.  They play almost as much as Payne and Allen.  If we are keeping our ballyhooed D line as our strength is that really happening with someone like Daniel Wise being in effect the third starter at tackle?

I'm getting more excited about this pick than any other to be honest. Settle, Wise, etc were complete scrubs. I love being good against the run and our pass rush from the line wasn't bad last year without our DEs. This pick has a very "final piece" feel to it, like the Dotson and Robinson picks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, but Buffalo designed a ton of runs for Josh Allen (he also runs on his own a lot too).  In terms of strictly RB runs, I've never thought they were run heavy.  Maybe they do decide to try and make Jones like Allen in the run game.

I get your logic.  There is no way to know yet what they will do.  I follow the Giants almost as closely as this team because I read their sports pages everyday because my favorite baseball team plays in NY.

I don't get the impression that the Giants think Barkey sucks and lets throw the ball a ton with Daniel Jones to see if he's the guy.  I do agree that they want to see if he's the guy.  but I get the impression they are thinking somewhat of the reverse way of what you are thinking as to how to prove it. Feels like they want to be a running driven team so Daniel doesn't have the pressure on him.  But will see.

The Bills had the 4th most rushing attempts last year.  And were top 5 if I recall in runs on first down. 

I'd be really surprised if the Giants become a air dominated attack next year.  Even if I didn't see those Buffalo stats and didn't read what i have about the topic.  the Bills IMO have better weapons and a better QB to chuck the ball around the field. 

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm getting more excited about this pick than any other to be honest. Settle, Wise, etc were complete scrubs. I love being good against the run and our pass rush from the line wasn't bad last year without our DEs. This pick has a very "final piece" feel to it, like the Dotson and Robinson picks.

I like the logic of "final piece".  I feel the same way about some of their other picks but more so about this pick than the others.

The other pick that feels very much like the final piece is the other Alabama pick, Brian Robinson.

Sticking with the Alabama theme, i am starting to really want Collins back badly.

If they are playing run heavy teams ala the Eagles.....

5 man fronts with Mathis I think could be more lethal than last years version of it.  And on passing downs, you keep Collins in the box and shut down the run that way.  In theory at least it feels like a lot of fun.  And the irony of having 4 Alabama guys in that case tasked with stopping the run.

Heck even some of the less hyped Alabama D lineman like Robinson, Tomlinson, J. Reed have been IMO good NFL players, especially Reed.  And if I recall none of them showed much sack production at Alabama like Mathis.  

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

Then why go on and do it? Jus something to think about. 

Because you quoted me.

So I'm gonna do what we both shoulda done and move this somewhere else (responded to you here):

@KDawg again, I get where you coming from, but heaven forbid this dude turn into a bust, there's no way to protect this thread from that (see Doctson and Guice welcome thread for examples)

Edited by Renegade7

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is how I’m starting to feel as well.

If you look at all our picks, they are all compliments in one way or another. They don’t have to be THE guy because we already have some good pieces in those positions. This is the mark of an improving roster. I’ve pointed it out in a couple of different posts related to the draft but for so many years guys like Mathis, Robinson, Dotson would be relied on to be THE guy and savior of said position group. Now they are guys that can really learn how to play their position at the professional level and won’t be paid the same level of attention from the offense/defense if there was no one better in front of them for teams to worry about. That’s huge for a players development and chance for success in the league. We as fans aren’t really used to this concept yet since we had never really strung together 5+ solid drafts to form the backbone of a solid team core. 

Time will tell how these picks pan out or what the actual value of them was. I do understand wanting a higher upside and true 3 down impactful player at pick 47. I do not, however, hate the fact we added to our defensive line room and continue to prioritize making that a strength. Make no mistake, the game is still won and lost in the trenches. And I like that as a run stuffer he was still able to amass 10 sacks, even if some were cleanup and it’s his motor instead of his superior physical skills that get get him there. 10 sacks is 10 sacks, he obviously has an ability to make plays and he’s playing against some of the best competition college ball has to offer. Don’t understand the level of hatred toward it, though I think some people are coming around.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like the logic of "final piece".  I feel the same way about some of their other picks but more so about this pick than the others.

The other pick that feels very much like the final piece is the other Alabama pick, Brian Robinson.

Sticking with the Alabama theme, i am starting to really want Collins back badly.

If they are playing run heavy teams ala the Eagles.....

5 man fronts with Mathis I think could be more lethal than last years version of it.  And on passing downs, you keep Collins in the box and shut down the run that way.  In theory at least it feels like a lot of fun.  And the irony of having 4 Alabama guys in that case tasked with stopping the run.

Heck even some of the less hyped Alabama D lineman like Robinson, Tomlinson, J. Reed have been IMO good NFL players, especially Reed.  And if I recall none of them showed much sack production at Alabama like Mathis.  

I was a huge Tomlinson guy. Still am really. Zero pass rush. Awesome DT.

Allen wasn't really looked at as much of a pass rusher two years ago and he blew up. Payne was getting closer to it too. I don't know what's up with our Dline room, but we have a ton of great and highly respected position coaches, especially Oline and for me to think Mills is some kind of bum who just doesn't get it, seems off. Iaon was great before him, then sucked and Settle never progressed under him, but Allen shot through the roof and Payne just keeps getting better. Sweat and Chase had their issues, but seem t have come back around now too.

We have majorly respected lines on this team and despite having Payne for the rest of 22 at least and them to go draft a DT from their brotherhood makes me think something good is up there. I seriously doubt they really dangled Payne for a trade and if they did, they we not getting low balled at all.

We're going to see the 5 wide or whatever they call it a lot this year and I'm sure Collin is back. It's pretty cool this new defense. I mean, as the safety guy I like to think of myself as, 5 big men down and more safeties on the field, seems really cool and makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

After giving it some time, this pick makes sense. Our division in particular beat us up quite badly with their running games, and this guy is an absolute run stopper. Highly needed I think.

The best team in the division led the league in rushing again. If you want to get by the eagles, you have to be able to stop the run.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

How do you factually know it’s a bad pick ?

Because everything we do is complete **** all the time.  Since Snyder owns the team, no good decision can actually be made. It’s physically impossible.  Everything is bad.  Every pick is bad. 

And it’s better to trust a bunch of media pundits who rank players and then evaluate teams based on how close they came to their rankings than to let things play out and see what happens.  

The cycle of negativity around this team and it’s coverage is absolutely shocking.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Because you quoted me.

So I'm gonna do what we both shoulda done and move this somewhere else (responded to you here):

@KDawg again, I get where you coming from, but heaven forbid this dude turn into a bust, there's no way to protect this thread from that (see Doctson and Guice welcome thread for examples)

He hasn’t even played a down :ols:

If that happens, post away. We haven’t even seen the guy play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because everything we do is complete **** all the time.  Since Snyder owns the team, no good decision can actually be made. It’s physically impossible.  Everything is bad.  Every pick is bad. 

And it’s better to trust a bunch of media pundits who rank players and then evaluate teams based on how close they came to their rankings than to let things play out and see what happens.  

The cycle of negativity around this team and it’s coverage is absolutely shocking.

I read your earlier post but I think it vanished during the glitch. Maybe it’s back. Either way you made a GREAT point on the myth of draft pick reach. I tried to quote that and I got kicked off the site. I repeat, GREAT point. Who the hell knows something is a reach.

16 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

It took less than 48 hours for the board to talk themselves into thinking this was a good pick lol

Amazing

Took me less than 5 mins. A round early. Good player. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

How do you factually know it’s a bad pick ?

Just an impartial observer, chronicling the phsychology of battered fan syndrome.

Its gone from being almost unanimously viewed as a reach to an exciting pick in 2 days.

He may turn out to be a fine player but it’s a big reach by all accounts.

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

Just an impartial observer, chronicling the phsychology of battered fan syndrome.

Its gone from being almost unanimously viewed as a reach to an exciting pick in 2 days.

He may turn out to be a fine player but it’s a big reach by all accounts.

How do you know it’s a reach? Who was picking him next and when?

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What exactly has this team done in the last 25 years that has earned them a benefit of the doubt?  

I know it was sarcasm but your post is very close to the truth.