Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama

PCS

On 5/31/2022 at 9:09 AM, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

With you for all of this.  I don't think he's a future star, but he's a 2nd rounder so thankfully that's not the expectation.  I still can't believe Dean fell to where he did.  His medicals must have really scared most teams off.  Not buying the narrative that he only played like he did because of the d-line, when his fellow LB went in the 1st round.

If I recall I was with you on the Dean hype on the draft thread.

Digesting the narrative of why he fell.  It was something to do with some teams believing he needed surgery which Dean rebuffed.  And then added to that is according to some he was banged up a lot in Georgia.  And some saw his unwillingness to run as a red flag especially when there were some questions about his speed already.

Personally, he was one of my favorite players in the draft.  Mechnical engineer major - 4 GPA.  Smart player.  Field general.  Can cover.  Can pass rush.

Will see how it pans out.  I am rooting against him since he is playing against us.  I loved Devonta Smith and he's on that same team.  I hate rooting against players i liked predraft but I am not rooting for Eagles players to succeed.  So even though ego wise it would feel good to see Dean succeed, as a Commanders fan it would feel better to see him fail. 😡

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Any news on how Mathis is looking? From what I just read during my search it looks like he is getting schooled in practice. Any chance he gets cut? Would be a shame for a second rounder. Are meniscus tears difficult to come back from? Not to my knowledge. Perhaps conditioning is an issue?

Edited by abdcskins
Typos and to add a bit more

BUH. Thought he looked like he was hobbling trying to chase down that play. Hope it’s nothing serious. 

That being said, could be a blessing in disguise. We have a SERIOUS numbers game on our hands with 11 linemen (at least) worthy of the roster: 

DE: Young, Sweat, Smith-Williams, Toohill, Henry, Jones, Obada 

DT: Allen, Payne, Ridgeway, Mathis

That still leaves solid players like Abdullah and Potoae’a on the outside and 11 to begin with seems excessive. 

Maybe if you can find a way to IR Mathis it works out best for everyone til the next injury arrives. 

• Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, moondog said:

BUH. Thought he looked like he was hobbling trying to chase down that play. Hope it’s nothing serious. 

That being said, could be a blessing in disguise. We have a SERIOUS numbers game on our hands with 11 linemen (at least) worthy of the roster: 

DE: Young, Sweat, Smith-Williams, Toohill, Henry, Jones, Obada 

DT: Allen, Payne, Ridgeway, Mathis

That still leaves solid players like Abdullah and Potoae’a on the outside and 11 to begin with seems excessive. 

Maybe if you can find a way to IR Mathis it works out best for everyone til the next injury arrives. 

If you IR him now, you can't recall him for later in the season. If it came to it, would have to wait until after cutdown day to IR him and then resign a guy you cut

• Thumb up 1

Imagine if we spent the Mathis 2nd and Quan 2nd on OL, both of them. Both picks spent on good players who had too much value to Rivera and Co. because they doubled as insurance policies for Payne/Curl. 

Quan especially is going to be good imo but we would likely be a playoff team with two 2nd round pedigreed OL playing instead. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Conn said:

Imagine if we spent the Mathis 2nd and Quan 2nd on OL, both of them. Both picks spent on good players who had too much value to Rivera and Co. because they doubled as insurance policies for Payne/Curl. 

Quan especially is going to be good imo but we would likely be a playoff team with two 2nd round pedigreed OL playing instead. 

Honestly, in all of the debates around keeping or getting rid of Ron - it's stories like this that seal the deal for me. You can even throw in taking Jamin Davis with a 1st rounder into the mix as well. The personnel and draft "strategies" have seemed like a total ****-show. Like a drunk guy throwing darts at the wall.

I'm hoping Josh Harris isn't gonna have any of this nonsense and will clean house (both FO and coaching staff) if these 1st and 2nd round reaches show they were mistakes and we end up sub .500 yet again.

@Conn - meant to ask more about Quan. I read all over Twitter how he was looking lost against backups. That seems like such a huge disconnect between what the reports were coming out of practice. What gives?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Honestly, in all of the debates around keeping or getting rid of Ron - it's stories like this that seal the deal for me. You can even throw in taking Jamin Davis with a 1st rounder into the mix as well. The personnel and draft "strategies" have seemed like a total ****-show. Like a drunk guy throwing darts at the wall.

This draft looks like a drunk throwing darts?

IMG_0683.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

This draft looks like a drunk throwing darts?

This is the draft where Ron and company really started winning me over.  I liked some of the picks in 2021, but this class felt like a major accumulation of draft value for me, and biggest difference-maker of all: they finally picked a QB prospect I can believe in.  Turning #11 into Jahan, BRob, Turner, and especially Howell could go down as one of our best draft trades we've ever made.  Moving down five spots yielded four future starters.

I made a board before that draft to put my takes down in stone so that I could review that class without hindsight bias.  I had Howell at 39, which means according to my board, we got +105 value from where we picked him.  I can't remember ever having a value pick of +100 before.  People have been so determined to be negative this offseason that they've lost perspective on big wins like that.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This is the draft where Ron and company really started winning me over.  I liked some of the picks in 2021, but this class felt like a major accumulation of draft value for me, and biggest difference-maker of all: they finally picked a QB prospect I can believe in.  Turning #11 into Jahan, BRob, Turner, and especially Howell could go down as one of our best draft trades we've ever made.  Moving down five spots yielded four future starters.

I made a board before that draft to put my takes down in stone so that I could review that class without hindsight bias.  I had Howell at 39, which means according to my board, we got +105 value from where we picked him.  I can't remember ever having a value pick of +100 before.  People have been so determined to be negative this offseason that they've lost perspective on big wins like that.

Is this the same Howell you told me repeatedly was a poor man’s Baker Mayfield?

17 hours ago, redskinss said:

I heard he lipped off to a nun at training camp and she knocked him on his ass.

Just pathetic how little research this staff does into these losers.

The positivity didn’t last long :ols:

10 hours ago, Conn said:

I didn’t see who they had at nose when they went with the 3-4 odd look… was it Mathis? I’m trying to figure out what the heck they were doing.

Just now, KDawg said:

Is this the same Howell you told me repeatedly was a poor man’s Baker Mayfield?

You have to understand what I thought of Baker Mayfield as a prospect to recognize that comp means I thought Howell was pretty good.  Baker is an NFL vagabond now, but Baker at Oklahoma was a transcendent player.  I had him #1 overall in that draft.  Baker for his first three seasons in Cleveland, with good weapons, a good line, and a coaching staff behind him was also a really good player.  The franchise turned on him for struggling through a serious shoulder injury that he played through for them, and they screwed him over in thanks.  Trashed him publicly in the offseason, traded for and extended a controversial replacement, and then refused to deal him for months while he begged them to let him go.  Basically ruined his career, and as a result, everyone forgot how good a prospect he was.

College Howell wasn't nearly as good a prospect as college Baker, and that's reflected in where they got picked in the draft.  But he has a chance to have a better NFL career.  Those kinds of outcomes aren't really in the hands of the players themselves.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I didn’t see who they had at nose when they went with the 3-4 odd look… was it Mathis? I’m trying to figure out what the heck they were doing.

Keim said It was Ridgeway when he was talking about that front , I wish I had noticed who in the game 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

Its best to ditch the sarcasm attempts on the internets.

I didn't like the pick because I felt like draft an NT was to address the problem Ron created. Nothing against the player of course.

Phil despite getting injured kept trying to make the tackle. We have a log jam up front even if he ends up on the shelf.

11 hours ago, Conn said:

I didnt follow the 2nd round OL from those drafts, were there players who ended up being good that we could have drafted? Probably but I was just wondering who

46 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I didnt follow the 2nd round OL from those drafts, were there players who ended up being good that we could have drafted? Probably but I was just wondering who

In the rest of the 2nd round that year, only 2 OL were taken.  Luke Goedeke (Tampa) 10 picks later and Ed Ingrim (Minny) 12 picks later.  Those were the only OL taken in the whole 2nd round.  Someone posted that Ingrim was really bad last year.  You can always say hindsight, but they had no backup DTs when Mathis was picked and Payne was uncertain to be resigned.  Ridgeway was picked up off of waivers when Dallas cut him later.  DT was a need.  I don’t fault Ron for not taking OL in the Mathis pick considering the whole NFL basically agreed that no OL were really 2nd round worthy.  I’m Hindsight, Pickens would have been the pick, but that would have been a waste of resources considering we drafted Jahan in the first.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

KDawg (I think) has already said but many here loved Mauch. Nasty, blue collar OL that would be a fan favorite, and really not a hindsight pick at all. He went the very next pick after we took Quan. Last year, I won’t pretend there’s a grand slam OL that isn’t just a hindsight suggestion but multiple LB went that people here had interest in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

KDawg (I think) has already said but many here loved Mauch. Nasty, blue collar OL that would be a fan favorite, and really not a hindsight pick at all. He went the very next pick after we took Quan. Last year, I won’t pretend there’s a grand slam OL that isn’t just a hindsight suggestion but multiple LB went that people here had interest in. 

I think some of us liked Brisker.  SIP loved Pitre, but he went way early in the 2nd.  However, with the way Forest and Butler have progressed, safety wasn’t really a need at that point.  Pickens was BPA, but not a need considering we just drafted Jahan earlier in the draft.  I wanted Walker, but we ended up getting Robinson later in the draft.  Oops, I did forget that Cam Jurgens was also a 2nd rounder.  Considering Rouiller had only one injury his whole career and was a really good center, it wasn’t a need.  In Hindsight, he would have been the best pick as he could have played last year and been the heir apparent.  Ron and the FO would have needed to be fortune tellers to foresee another devastating leg injury to Rouiller that would have caused him to retire.

4 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I definitely did not feel like DT was a need when we drafted Mathis. Felt like a bad pick then and does still today. 

I did like most of that draft though.

It was a major need.  We had nothing behind Allen and Payne.  Settle left in FA.  Ion was cut.  You can’t play your DTs every play.  You need to keep a rotation and constantly replenish the DL.  With Mathis and the astute waiver pickup of Ridgeway, we now have solid depth at DT where every guy plays.  Only two other DTs were picked before the 4th round and both went in the mid to late 3rd round.  Mathis was a completely defensible pick.  He’s going to take time to get back considering the knee injury.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1