Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama

PCS

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I think some of us liked Brisker.  SIP loved Pitre, but he went way early in the 2nd.  However, with the way Forest and Butler have progressed, safety wasn’t really a need at that point.  Pickens was BPA, but not a need considering we just drafted Jahan earlier in the draft.  I wanted Walker, but we ended up getting Robinson later in the draft.  Oops, I did forget that Cam Jurgens was also a 2nd rounder.  Considering Rouiller had only one injury his whole career and was a really good center, it wasn’t a need.  In Hindsight, he would have been the best pick as he could have played last year and been the heir apparent.  Ron and the FO would have needed to be fortune tellers to foresee another devastating leg injury to Rouiller that would have caused him to retire.

It was a major need.  We had nothing behind Allen and Payne.  Settle left in FA.  Ion was cut.  You can’t play your DTs every play.  You need to keep a rotation and constantly replenish the DL.  With Mathis and the astute waiver pickup of Ridgeway, we now have solid depth at DT where every guy plays.  Only two other DTs were picked before the 4th round and both went in the mid to late 3rd round.  Mathis was a completely defensible pick.  He’s going to take time to get back considering the knee injury.  

The problem isn’t Mathis. Just like the problem isn’t Quan. It’s not their fault they were drafted and they both have skill sets that meld with what we do.

I have zero frustration with them personally. They are good players and I look forward to seeing them both grow as Commandos. 

But the strategy left something to be desired, in my mind.

I had Mathis fairly highly rated. Love the player. Last year there weren’t many OL. We passed on some backers but ironically this year we could have gotten Mauch and Pace and helped with both of those spots. And still come away with Forbes.

But I still want to reiterate: this isn’t a Mathis or Quan problem. I refuse to hold them accountable for the team’s strategy and I want to see them both ball out.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 months later...