Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Commanders Phidarian Mathis DT Alabama

PCS

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

I’m so old I remember when Ryan Anderson had 8.5 sacks in his senior year.  This is pretty much exactly the same thing all over again.

OMG when I heard his name announced I thought who...its Ryan Anderson all over again and in the 2nd round to boot.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again, I had him 50 overall, we took him at 47. My reservation was, and is, with Travis Jones on the board and going 30 picks later we reached. The talent is there. 

But by all means, keep the negativity pulsating through your veins.

That hurts man lol.  I’m just calling it like I see it. Dotson a little reachy but good player at an impact position and also one of need.  Mathis, definite reach for a low ceiling prospect but fills a need.  Robinson, good player at a need position and I don’t even mind him in the 3rd, except I hate the idea of any team spending two 3rd round picks to fill a backfield.

Im also noting a dramatic change in tone surrounding this Mathis pick over the last 48 hours.

I mean sure, I could go all Theismann and just love everything and everybody but I’d rather document my true thoughts on the picks.

Sorry to rain on parades.  It be what it be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

It’s usually 24 hours. And it’s happened every year since this community’s inception.

It’s awesome to watch all 5 stages of grief (loss of expectations) in 24 hours.

But being part of the hive community in the early shift of an emotional (energetic) tidal wave is quite a rush.

In fairness, there are usually tons of posters adding thoughts and like 3 have watched a player at all.  So some of the movement is expected when we stop and look into said player.  In the moment when the name isn't on wish lists it always leads to freak outs.

There is definitely levels of hope/optimism that also help this effect, I won't argue that isn't a factor.  It's just funny how strong opinions are in the initial moment.

1 minute ago, CommDownMan said:

In fairness, there are usually tons of posters adding thoughts and like 3 have watched a player at all.  So some of the movement is expected when we stop and look into said player.  In the moment when the name isn't on wish lists it always leads to freak outs.

I also suspect that a big factor is that most folks in here (raises hand) research the player after we draft him. And the research consists of looking at YouTube highlight videos. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

I also suspect that a big factor is that most folks in here (raises hand) research the player after we draft him. And the research consists of looking at YouTube highlight videos. 

How else am I sposta stay informed and optimistic about my beloved Commanders? Actual reading? Preposterous. 😣 

cats-angry.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Local guy... Manassas n VA Tech. 

Idk that's really it. He wasn't really a contributor when he actually did get playing time. 🥱

Worse than not really being a contributor when he actually got playing time, Settle is the reason for that 6-play goal line stand against Pittsburgh 2 years ago.

17 minutes ago, Larry said:

That's my point.   I don't even watch all the videos because finding a highlight film is easy.   

I wait for SIP and kdwag to post and then decide if I need to freak out.   Haha

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Larry said:

Nahhh, some of us play PFF's draft simulator while taking a 💩.  

Look, in this day of cap creativity and all the recent roster havoc league-wide, a team needs a base of dudes ready to play now in order to maximize their playoff run window.  The idea is that Mathis will probably replace Payne up front at a massively-less price.  I'm really curious about how people think Mathis and Allen will play together versus Allen and Payne.

Edited by Dark Acre

37 minutes ago, Larry said:

And the research consists of looking at YouTube highlight videos. 

Yeah, but they don't say watch some YouTube highlights. They say "studied the tape" or "studied the film"... that way they can sound like the 5 million experts who do mock drafts and don't come close to getting anything right! 

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Well looking at the Georgia game....he was on the ground the first few snaps, subbed out and then came back with a bit more fire.  Overall, he looks sooo slow footed, but hustles and can get off blocks well.  Just not very explosive at all. 

But good character guy, high energy.....who knows.  Ron and company saw something they like, just stinks we got rid of Settle who I think is a much better player.  Also, Settle is only 2 months older than Mathis.  I don't like the pick.

I would have been much happier going with Travis Jones out of UConn.  I really think we wasted a pick on a guy who won't see the field.  Not a situational pass rusher, why put him in during run downs because he will be on skates.  This is the only pick I do not like.  Hope I am wrong, but I don't think it looks good.

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Anderson didn’t fit our scheme.

Point of fact, Anderson didn’t fit any scheme and was a bad pick from the get go.  He wasn’t a reach.  He was a blown evaluation by a bunch of idiots who are not here anymore.  He was a tweener.  He just didn’t fit anywhere.  

Ron and company blew the evaluation of Jamin Davis last year.  Nobody is saying they are perfect.  They thought his athleticism would allow him to play ILB, but his lack of experience worked against him. They were wrong.  But they seem to have hit on Cosmi.  We’ll see about Brown, he was in a horrendous situation last year because Samuel and Fitz got hurt, then Thomas, and others.  So we’ll see.  

Blown evaluations happen.  As I keep saying, 75% if the players drafted will be out of the league in 3 years and about half of the first rounders will not live up to expectations. 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Point of fact, Anderson didn’t fit any scheme and was a bad pick from the get go.  He wasn’t a reach.  He was a blown evaluation by a bunch of idiots who are not here anymore.  He was a tweener.  He just didn’t fit anywhere.  

Ron and company blew the evaluation of Jamin Davis last year.  Nobody is saying they are perfect.  They thought his athleticism would allow him to play ILB, but his lack of experience worked against him. They were wrong.  But they seem to have hit on Cosmi.  We’ll see about Brown, he was in a horrendous situation last year because Samuel and Fitz got hurt, then Thomas, and others.  So we’ll see.  

Blown evaluations happen.  As I keep saying, 75% if the players drafted will be out of the league in 3 years and about half of the first rounders will not live up to expectations. 

But, given that Jamin WAS raw as hell and we all knew it... We don't know that was a blown evaluation yet unless Rivera believed he was a day 1 improvement to the linebacker position.

We haven't added anything to LB yet. Either that's because we didn't have options that were adequate, things just didn't align or because Rivera/Del Rio are happy with our LB corps.

I have reservations about them, too, but we rolled with them last year with less experience ultimately. I don't see how it could be worse. 

What Jamin was, and it's clear, is a reach. But it's not a bad eval. yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Not at all. I think Percy is the real deal. I went to school at UL and have some first hand reports from friends on him. But even if you're right, worse case scenario we got a developmental McCain replacement and a lights-out ST player. He might not be ready to start year 1 but he's a legit talent. 

I think he will push for McCains job or Buffalo nickel out of the gate. Depends on where we view his best fit. I think it'll be at FS over McCain. Rivera seems high on Percy as well.

Care to share any of those things you’ve heard?

Always cool when you can get a feel for the type of dude I guy is.

I knew I guy that played football at ole Miss with Eli Manning said he was a total horse’s ass. Another guy I knew was a walk on at Auburn and played with Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell. Said Carlos was sort of dumb and immature and that Jason was a real professional, sort of homebody type, and he thought he would be a good pro. 

4 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

I’m so old I remember when Ryan Anderson had 8.5 sacks in his senior year.  This is pretty much exactly the same thing all over again.

Ryan Anderson was a small and undersized Edge that got by on sheer agression. His tiny T-Rex length with bottom tier athleticism just can't cut it in the NFL when everyone is better.

Mathis has great size.  His length is up there for DT's.  90% arm length and 94% wingspan.

It's not the same situation.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But, given that Jamin WAS raw as hell and we all knew it... We don't know that was a blown evaluation yet unless Rivera believed he was a day 1 improvement to the linebacker position.

We haven't added anything to LB yet. Either that's because we didn't have options that were adequate, things just didn't align or because Rivera/Del Rio are happy with our LB corps.

I have reservations about them, too, but we rolled with them last year with less experience ultimately. I don't see how it could be worse. 

Jamin was the post-draft favorite to win rookie of the year honours playing behind our dominant d-line.

He was supposed to start at weakside backer to ease his transition into the NFL.  Yet in training camp, Rivera threw him in the middle and he never recovered.

I’m not saying the book is written on Jamin either….

But RR is going to fail here. Of that I have no doubt. I don’t wish him ill, he’s a good man. But he’s going to get his ego checked very soon.

• Thumb up 1

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

will see if they are right but two things I've heard multiple times friom beat guys is that they think Jamin and Dyami will be both be fine-good tbis season.  I guess we are about to find out.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I think Keim makes an interesting point about wanting a true 1 tech to free up Payne to do what he does best. So in theory, this pick could be help us keep Payne. 

I just don’t buy that this is totally a pick to replace Payne next year. It could be insurance against that, but I don’t think that was the only reason.

Chase/Allen/Mathis/Payne/Sweat

could be a pretty stout front five against the run. I also think Smith-Williams and Toney will be improved as well.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

will see if they are right but two things I've heard multiple times friom beat guys is that they think Jamin and Dyami will be both be fine-good tbis season.  I guess we are about to find out.

And Cole Holcomb now in the middle.

Of course, he was adamant about his beleaguered kicker to start the season last year and had to cut him 6 games later anyways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

And Cole Holcomb now in the middle.

Of course, he was adamant about his beleaguered kicker to start the season last year and had to cut him 6 games later anyways.

Yeah but this isn’t Rivera rhetoric this is about what they supposedly privately think.  Didn’t hear any talk about dudes who didn’t show much last year like Forest and St. Juste. But multiple reporters have said what they are hearing is internally they think Jamin and Dyami are going to take a big leap this year. Doesn’t mean they will but supposedly in that building they have confidence in that going down 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Chase/Allen/Mathis/Payne/Sweat

could be a pretty stout front five against the run. I also think Smith-Williams and Toney will be improved as well.

I like that your statement is tempered and talks about the possibilities.  It would be great if the rest of the posters on ES remember how the anointment of  "Great" status to the D-line last year exploded in everyone's faces (media included). 

Explode Blow Up GIF by reactionseditor

;)

:229:The Rook