Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

I mean, is it really hyperbole? Herbert is gonna be a top-5 franchise QB for a decade plus. He's spectacular.

Yeah it's not hyperbole. Herbert is the real deal. He's already a legit top 10 QB and will probably only get better. He absolutely shredded our "fearsome" defense with ease.

With hindsight would I pick him over Chase Young? As a big CY fan, I say absolutely, with zero hesitation. An elite top 5 QB is easily 10 times more valuable than an elite top 5 pass rusher.

However...that's all hindsight. It's not like Herbert was some ludicrously vaunted can't miss QB prospect. Most draftniks and analysts said he had some very good tools but also had some potential holes in his game that would be worrying. There were plenty of questions about how well he'd be able to transition from Oregon's college offense to an NFL offense.

Most people were saying at #2 the big question for us would be whether to go for Tua or not. IIRC Herbert wasn't really even talked about much, even though he was mostly regarded as a top 10 pick.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

The Gibson fumble was huge.

Our secondary was my big concern on defense heading into the year, and turns out that is indeed an issue.

Yeah you wonder where was Collins with all the hype.

That secondary got completly abused all day long with Herbet having a knack for throwing on our rookies or 4th stringers.

On their winning TD, with those 4 guys on the right, it was so obvious where the ball was going that you wonder why St-Juste was on an island there...

9 minutes ago, dyst said:

Defense was meh but that Gibson fumble killed this game. We are just not a good team. Apologist will use the close score and Fitz injury to convince themselves yet again.

That's a bit tough to put it solely on Gibson.

Bosa tried his best to keep us in the game, but really, we looked like a 6-11 team at best today.

8 minutes ago, Yng Lady88 said:

we saw what DAL can do offensively and looks like Jalen Hurts is the real deal and NYG seems to have a voodoo doll on us every year. this defense better get their **** together quick.

That's pure overreaction, haven't seen the overreacting thread for now.  We all know that PHI, NYG and DAL are kinda roller coasterrs type of teams so far.

7 minutes ago, Borgold said:

Really awful effort and game plan. I don’t know what to be more frustrated with. The tackling, the lack of coverage, the inability to generate any pressure or on offense: the uneven blocking, drops, Scherrf’s boneheaded penalties. 

The only bright spot might be DeAndre Carter’s returns. 

I'm still wondering how can Scherff not come out with Gibson's fumble. On the replay, you clearly see the ball lose between the two defender with Scherff falling on it, and they still got the ball? Weird!

I thought Heinicke was fun to watch. Fitzpatrick was pretty boring, which was disappointing.

Honestly at times I wonder if real season had started or if this was preseason week 4?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah agreed. Don't let the score fool you...they absolutely dominated us in pretty much ever facet of the game.

They moved the ball at will, regularly converted 3rd and longs like they were 3rd and 1s, their OL completely shut down our "fearsome" front 4, and while Heinicke provided a bit of a spark, their defense mostly dominated us too, and made mincemeat out of our OL.

Not to mention their starting RT went out in the 1st half (I think it was then), and our two “top 10 edge rushers” still couldn’t win their matchups. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And this is a defense that had shown that they had absolutely zero answers for the Chargers offense. None. It was a super conservative and stupid call for Rivera to make. 

What bothers me is that RR declared Fitz the starter even though it's clear to all of us that TH brings so much more to the table. TH could've won us this game today but shame on the defense, they got their asses handed to them on every 3rd down.

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Personally, I still feel confident we will we do that. The chargers are contenders. The giants aren’t.

Ya. Chargers were turning into a great team at the end of last year. Super talented. I'm not going to have a tantrum about losing to them by 4.

I also don't think we'll go anywhere special until we address our oline, but we're not as bad as people in here are saying just because we barely lost to a great team

1 minute ago, profusion said:

I'm not going to overreact based on Week 1. It's just possible that the Chargers are that good--they certainly have a ton of talent to work with.

The Giants game will tell us a lot. It might be that making the playoffs at 7-9 last year has given us false hopes.

Yeah we probably need to focus on the under .500 part. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah it's not hyperbole. Herbert is the real deal. He's already a legit top 10 QB and will probably only get better. He absolutely shredded our "fearsome" defense with ease.

With hindsight would I pick him over Chase Young? As a big CY fan, I say absolutely, with zero hesitation. An elite top 5 QB is easily 10 times more valuable than an elite top 5 pass rusher.

However...that's all hindsight. It's not like Herbert was some ludicrously vaunted can't miss QB prospect. Most draftniks and analysts said he had some very good tools but also had some potential holes in his game that would be worrying. There were plenty of questions about how well he'd be able to transition from Oregon's college offense to an NFL offense.

Most people were saying at #2 the big question for us would be whether to go for Tua or not. IIRC Herbert wasn't really even talked about much, even though he was mostly regarded as a top 10 pick.

Exactly. Nobody really expected Herbert to look like this. I'm comfortable with the pick we made, but to say in retrospect we should've picked Herbert is a no-brainer to me. Not even controversial. 

• Like 3

Just now, profusion said:

I'm not going to overreact based on Week 1. It's just possible that the Chargers are that good--they certainly have a ton of talent to work with.

The Giants game will tell us a lot. It might be that making the playoffs at 7-9 last year has given us false hopes.

I do and I don't understand this logic.

If we're not that good, then that sucks.  Like, the goal is not to be able to beat some or most of the teams; we want to beat ALL of the teams.  There is one winner at the end of the season and 31 losers.

Being second-best just means you have the second-worst pick.

3 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Oh, going to become a CHIEFS fan eh?? 🙄

Such bandwagonry is a surefire sign of weakness and poor character.

I don’t blame anyone honestly at this point. If I was a young fan I wouldn’t have anything to do with franchise.  If I had kids I’d tell them they are my team but I wouldn’t push them to this.  I’ve honestly wanted to quit multiple times.  I don’t remember any glory days.  I was a kid when cowboys were a 90s dynasty so all I got was made fun of at schools wearing my Terry Allen and Brian Mitchell jerseys. If this franchise died and got replaced I’m not sure I’d be that upset at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

It's one game and a wake-up call.  

and

rst possible outcome from my perspective.  I feel the defense will pick up their game soon enough, but Fitz's absence will prevent Washington's offense from gelling into being able to play more instinctually.  Hopefully Heinicke will handle things until Fitz returns, but then it's a new learning curve when Ryan resumes as QB -1.

Impossible to be optimistic with this team.  But, we got our asses handed to us today.  Score isn't indicative of what a whopping this was.  Don't know what to say about it or what to think really.  Heinie can play, but he will probably get injured on Thursday with our luck.  I think the best news is this team gets to play on Thursday (incredible that the giants get a late start with a Thursday game btw), and they can forget about this one and move on.  I'm not so hung up on the loss, but I thought we were so thoroughly outclassed, and that is very very concerning.

• Like 1