Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

7 hours ago, dyst said:

Our #1 defensive line got shut down. We always make excuses for bad performances. Oh it’s preseason, oh its a rookie, oh the other player is superman and unstoppable. At a certain point the excuses have to stop.

What in the world does our DL getting shut down have to do with Cosmi being a rookie and having a tough time with one of the league's top 5 pass rushers for his first ever NFL game?

Even the best Tackles in the NFL have a hard time dealing with Joey Bosa. It's not hard to imagine a raw 2nd round rookie struggling there. Would you start calling a 2nd round pass rusher a bust if he went up against Trent Williams in his first ever NFL game and didn't get a sack?

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I could see how someone could type this comment if they merely saw the score after the game...

Wish I hadn't seen it. Feels like a wasted day when we lose. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Kendall Fuller is a total liability in man coverage. 

I'm liking the rookie cb. After he goes thru the 🔥 he'll emerge a top corner in this league.

1 hour ago, wes said:

If the D stays in that zone they will run wide open. To help the dline they need to run a man to man. Not to hard to figure out I thought.

We were out coached. Even on offense......why did we run Gibson the next play after he dodged an season ending injury?? Our DL seems non aggressive and in gap control mode too much. I hope we were saving **** for the Giants. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

What in the world does our DL getting shut down have to do with Cosmi being a rookie and having a tough time with one of the league's top 5 pass rushers for his first ever NFL game?

Even the best Tackles in the NFL have a hard time dealing with Joey Bosa. It's not hard to imagine a raw 2nd round rookie struggling there. Would you start calling a 2nd round pass rusher a bust if he went up against Trent Williams in his first ever NFL game and didn't get a sack?

If we couldn’t stop Joey Bosa, then the Chargers should have struggled with Chase Young and Montez Sweat.

It’s a pretty easy comparison actually. Lots of people have this entire defense as one of the top rated in the league if not “the” top one right? We’ve heard accolades thrust upon both our young defensive ends.

By all accounts we have Bosa-like players on our side and yet they weren’t as disruptive as Bosa was yesterday.

Bosa is a very good player but Cosmi SUCKED yesterday and you know what. It’s okay to say that. He is now in week #2 and hopefully he improves but he was awful.  

Not getting a sack is one thing, but what Cosmi did in your Trent Williams analogy is like getting a roughing the passer penalty on every throw. That’s kinda how awful he was. 

He is a second round pick from a big time school, not an undrafted player from a small time school. If you want to be a good team, your second round talent needs to play better than that. Hopefully he improves this week.

Edited by dyst

30 minutes ago, dyst said:

If we couldn’t stop Joey Bosa, then the Chargers should have struggled with Chase Young and Montez Sweat.

It’s a pretty easy comparison actually. Lots of people have this entire defense as one of the top rated in the league if not “the” top one right? We’ve heard accolades thrust upon both our young defensive ends.

By all accounts we have Bosa-like players on our side and yet they weren’t as disruptive as Bosa was yesterday.

Bosa is a very good player but Cosmi SUCKED yesterday and you know what. It’s okay to say that. He is now in week #2 and hopefully he improves but he was awful.  

Not getting a sack is one thing, but what Cosmi did in your Trent Williams analogy is like getting a roughing the passer penalty on every throw. That’s kinda how awful he was. 

He is a second round pick from a big time school, not an undrafted player from a small time school. If you want to be a good team, your second round talent needs to play better than that. Hopefully he improves this week.

The two have nothing directly to do with each other! Saying "Well, their OL were able to deal with our DL so then our OL should have been able to deal with their DL" as if it's some sort of if a=b then b=a equation is ridiculous.

Their DL played much better than ours and their OL did as well. Some of that may be scheme, some just individual performances. But them's the facts.

You're making it sound like Bosa had 5 sacks and Cosmi was whiffing on every single snap. Bosa had 1 sack and certainly seemed to get the best of Cosmi quite a few times, but it wasn't really all that much worse than the rest of our OL.

In the beginning, Cosmi was noticeably lunging and trying to stop Bosa's speed rush, but he seemed to adjust a bit and tried being a bit more patient and see if he could keep Bosa outside and get him to overrun and go upfield. It wasn't always successful but it was better than at the start of the game.

Cosmi needs to improve his technique, but that's something that everyone and their mother knows. He's insanely gifted but raw in technique. Expecting him to get the best of one of the best pass rushers in the league in his first NFL start is a bit much. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

Again, the elephant in the room is that “Del Rio utilizes the 2-gap system” line on commentary. If we are legitimately two gapping with THAT DL we either made some awful mistakes in talent evaluation over the years or our schematic choices don’t fit our personnel. It explains why the backers are so damn passive, too, unless blitzed.

Great point.  I initially heard the comment and assumed the announcer just made a mistake.  Post game - after thinking about it - I’m not so sure.

You obviously know better than I, so I’d like to read your thoughts, but I’m of two minds about it.  On one hand (as far as I understand things), 1) if you’re dealing with linebackers that aren’t thumpers, 2 gapping is more likely to keep the backers clean, 2) if you’re running man coverage, the dbs have a harder time keeping an eye on the backfield (ie helping the run game), so containing/clogging gaps (by 2 gapping) might make more sense, and 3) you’re (maybe?) less reliant on a safety making run fits, giving you slightly better coverage.

On the other hand, 1. this line (as you pointed out) is built more for 1 gapping, 2) it goes against Del Rio’s comments last year about 1 gapping and stopping the run as they go after the qb, 3) seems like we ran a lot of zone, so why 2 gap?, 4) sure seems like 1 gapping the DTs in particular is the best way to pressure a qb that is getting the ball out quickly (in combination with playing press coverage).

18 hours ago, tomwvr said:

These are the most foolish comments today. 
 We can go to every draft and say we should have drafted….

just remember Daryl Green was the last pick In the first round in the year he was drafted…

27 other teams screwed up there 

you always taken a QB over a DE. 

2 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Yeah, but...

Young was kind of a no brainer at 2.

I had more concerns with him than many, and it led to people accusing me of being anti-Young, but I couldn't really even debate he should be the pick at 2. He had everything you want to see from a franchise EDGE guy and Tu'a (the next QB on most boards, by the way) had the injury situation. Herbert was looked at as a good choice for teams picking in the 5-10 range but more of a risk than a guy like Tu'a and Burrow.

I'm more frustrated that we didn't move up for Fields than I am not taking Herbert. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The two have nothing directly to do with each other! Saying "Well, their OL were able to deal with our DL so then our OL should have been able to deal with their DL" as if it's some sort of if a=b then b=a equation is ridiculous.

Their DL played much better than ours and their OL did as well. Some of that may be scheme, some just individual performances. But them's the facts.

You're making it sound like Bosa had 5 sacks and Cosmi was whiffing on every single snap. Bosa had 1 sack and certainly seemed to get the best of Cosmi quite a few times, but it wasn't really all that much worse than the rest of our OL.

In the beginning, Cosmi was noticeably lunging and trying to stop Bosa's speed rush, but he seemed to adjust a bit and tried being a bit more patient and see if he could keep Bosa outside and get him to overrun and go upfield. It wasn't always successful but it was better than at the start of the game.

Cosmi needs to improve his technique, but that's something that everyone and their mother knows. He's insanely gifted but raw in technique. Expecting him to get the best of one of the best pass rushers in the league in his first NFL start is a bit much. 

Well then, we need to stop drafting these insanely gifted but raw and lacking techniques players. I’m sure he’ll be fine, but he was awful yesterday. 

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah, but...

I had more concerns with him than many, and it led to people accusing me of being anti-Young, but I couldn't really even debate he should be the pick at 2. He had everything you want to see from a franchise EDGE guy and Tu'a (the next QB on most boards, by the way) had the injury situation. Herbert was looked at as a good choice for teams picking in the 5-10 range but more of a risk than a guy like Tu'a and Burrow.

I'm more frustrated that we didn't move up for Fields than I am not taking Herbert. 

Yeah this is why I always make sure to point out that it's purely in hindsight that I'd absolutely take Herbert over Chase. We could say that about tons of draft picks that we missed where a guy who was talented but not necessarily seen as a can't miss blue chip talent went past us. Hell, any team can say that. I'm sure there are plenty of people with the Lions, Giants, and Dolphins who also wish they'd have taken Herbert.

Chase was the right choice at the time because he was clearly an elite prospect that it's really hard to pass up, even if it's not necessarily a need. There were a couple of intriguing QB prospects in Tua and Herbert but neither of them were seen as anything close to Luck or Lawrence level "can't miss" guys.

I was never on the Tua bandwagon and I thought Herbert was intriguing with his physical skill set but I wasn't sure how well his game would translate into the NFL.

12 minutes ago, dyst said:

Well then, we need to stop drafting these insanely gifted but raw and lacking techniques players. I’m sure he’ll be fine, but he was awful yesterday. 

The fact that he's insanely gifted but lacking in technique is why we picked him in the 2nd round and not the 1st. That's a good value especially if it's a guy who you think may be raw but has the smarts and work ethic to develop that technique to go with his physical skills.

Edited by mistertim

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

The fact that he's insanely gifted but lacking in technique is why we picked him in the 2nd round and not the 1st. That's a good value especially if it's a guy who you think may be raw but has the smarts and work ethic to develop that technique to go with his physical skills.

Maybe we should only draft 1st rounders in the 2nd round?  😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alexa said:

And you don’t take a qb at 2 that no other team would have taken that early in the draft. 

sorry but anyone on draft day that said this please come forward. No one disliked the pick and no one was close to saying the pick was wrong

4 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

And you don’t take a qb at 2 that no other team would have taken that early in the draft. 

sorry but anyone on draft day that said this please come forward. No one disliked the pick and no one was close to saying the pick was wrong

Kiper said WFT should consider taking Tua instead of Chase Young, if they were unsure about Haskins.  He first guessed it.  It was a logical thought process.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/28/mel-kiper-redskins-tua-tagovailoa-chase-young/

Ironically, thus far Tua would’ve been a worse pick than Chase, but Herbert would’ve been better.  Count me as someone who doesn’t care about what the national perspective was on a potential draftee.  Decision makers are paid a lot of money to get these decisions right.

We passed on Big Ben for Sean Taylor (because we had Pat Ramsey), and now we passed on Justin Herbert for Chase Young (because we had Dwayne Haskins).  It’s important to note this stuff so we stop repeating mistakes.  When in doubt, take the QB.

20 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Good god, this is sad!

We are one game into Chase Young’s second season and the narrative is already drifting toward failure.  Sickening really….

Sunday was not a good but some of the the drivel on this board is worse!

I think the frustration is more driven from the fact that id say a majority of the fanbase (myself included) had really high expectations this season, despite more of the same at QB lackluster talent on offense and poor linebackers...

Week 1:  Chargers- LOSS

So, if we lose to the Giants:

Week 2: Giants- We lose

Week 3: @Bills - loss

Week 4: @Falcons - win

Week 5: Saints - loss

Week 6: Chiefs - loss

Week 7: @Packers - loss 

Week 8: @Broncos - loss

Week 9: Bye Week

Week 10: Buccaneers - loss

Week 11:  @Panthers - loss

Week 12:  Seahawks - loss

Week 13: @ Raiders - loss

Week 14: Boys - loss

Week 15: @Eagles - loss

Week 16: @ Boys - loss

Week 17: Eagles - win

Week 18: @Giants - loss

2-15, is a real distinct possibility and If that happens; expect a coaching change.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:09 PM, Andre The Giant said:

We passed on Big Ben for Sean Taylor (because we had Pat Ramsey), and now we passed on Justin Herbert for Chase Young (because we had Dwayne Haskins).  It’s important to note this stuff so we stop repeating mistakes.  When in doubt, take the QB.

But, but What if we'd passed on Haskins??

26 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Week 1:  Chargers- LOSS

So, if we lose to the Giants:

Week 2: Giants- We lose

Week 3: @Bills - loss

Week 4: @Falcons - win

Week 5: Saints - loss

Week 6: Chiefs - loss

Week 7: @Packers - loss 

Week 8: @Broncos - loss

Week 9: Bye Week

Week 10: Buccaneers - loss

Week 11:  @Panthers - loss

Week 12:  Seahawks - loss

Week 13: @ Raiders - loss

Week 14: Boys - loss

Week 15: @Eagles - loss

Week 16: @ Boys - loss

Week 17: Eagles - win

Week 18: @Giants - loss

2-15, is a real distinct possibility and If that happens; expect a coaching change.

Lol we lose by 4 to a probable playoff team where our strengths didn’t play well and now we’re suddenly the worse team in the league. Give me a friggin break.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

:rofl89: You are hilarious. Just pulling **** out of your ass. The only thing that will happen is higher draft pick for Ron to select his QB. 

Edited by zskins

On 9/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, KDawg said:

Yeah, but...

Bingo.  Not going to #8 to get Fields is going to haunt us for, oh I dunno, at least a decade and a half.

• Thumb up 1

• Jumbo locked this topic