Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

2 minutes ago, TysonM said:

If Gibson had fumbled the ball unassisted, I'd see why people would be upset.  Since it was knocked out by a defender right before he was down, which is what happens in NFL games, I'm not going to blame him for that.

I'm saying this as a joke, so don't anybody go weird...

I'm a female who has never had a child...but by God, you'd NEVER get it away from me...and that's how I think the football should be observed. 

Like I said, I meant that to be funny, not critical of anyone's parenting skillz.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sorry but we need to stop with this stuff. We absolutely deserved to lose that game and the only reason SD didn't drop a 40 or 50 burger on us was through a combination of dumb luck, some bad ref calls, some WR drops and a couple of nice red zone plays by us.

Yes our offense was completely anemic and fumbling in that area is always a bad thing, but our defense got 100% shredded like they were a D2 college team going against an NFL team. SD converted 14 of 18 3rd downs, including a ton of 3rd and long. That's absolutely insane. Most top defenses don't give up that many 3rd downs over 3 games, let alone 1.

Let's please stop pretending like we even belonged out on that field just because the score happened to eventually be relatively close.

Agree.

They ran almost twice the plays we did.  That's domination.  424 yards to 259.   27 first downs to 15.   36 minutes to 23 minutes time of possession.  the score wasn't reflective of the chargers dominance.  We got two turnovers in the red zone, one of which was questionable. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, bh32 said:

Team got so full of themselves from all of the praise over the offseason and it showed today.

Definitely a possibility.

Reading and watching all the material in the off-season about what an elite defense they were might've went to their heads.

If that is the case, hopefully this game is a wake up call to them that opposing offenses aren't going to wilt in their  presence or roll over for them.

They have to come out and earn it every week.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thats all fine and dandy. The defense allowed no point in the third quarter up to that fumble. All of the momentum was in our favor after a beautiful INT from Jackson. So no. I am not gonna stop with this stuff. You fumble at your own 5 yard line you most likely lose that game. 

Edit: And by the way SD converted 8 of those 3rd downs in the 4th quarter. That fumble completely changed the game. 

Zero of these things changes the fact that we were far and away the worse team out there today and it wasn't even close. We had a brief momentum shift that lasted a few minutes but SD was absolutely moving the ball against us at will. The score was only close mostly out of luck.

We could have won that game in the same way I could have sex with Scarlett Johansson if I happened to be in the most bizarre right place at the right time and she was feeling incredibly frisky and I was the only dude around. So it could happen but it wouldn't have been due to my sex appeal and prowess with picking up women.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, TysonM said:

If Gibson had fumbled the ball unassisted, I'd see why people would be upset.  Since it was knocked out by a defender right before he was down, which is what happens in NFL games, I'm not going to blame him for that.

I blame him because he fumbled on the previous set of downs, he got lucky because the ball was kicked out of bounds but he should have learned his lesson and made sure to secure the ball.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

Fitz didn't look comfortable or very confident in the offense. Heinicke appeared more comfortable in the offense. He was more elusive in the pocket and his running added an element to the offense. He isn't the best downfield passer, but his decision making was good. Penalties killed his drives on offense.

The defensive line got bullied today. It looked like Slater made Young switch sides with Sweat? Or we wanted to attack their RT like Bosa was working us over? Either way, Young was trying too many moves today. Stunting and setting up moves, like he was doing, isn't effective when the O is running a quick striking pass attack. You don't have time for 2 moves. 

Bosa utilized the mist effective pass move in the NFL, jumping the snap. Our DL was being cute today and Herbert dragged them. Our mediocre coverage didn't help. We have individual guys who do their jobs, but we routinely have guys who the offense can pick on. The defensive theme right now would be, you are as strong as your weakest link.

Bostic is a good football player. He has a role in the game of football. It's not where we currently have him. The responsibilities we are giving him in coverage are irresponsible. Good QBs attack his area whenever they want. He is a reserve; not a starter. 

I respect that our coaches chose to throw our rookies into the FIRE game one- even if in some situations, I disagree. They gave the rookies huge roles game 1. They are getting this out the way, right away, and seeing how our young guys respond. 

St. Juste has to learn to finish plays more consistently. That has to be an area of focus. Being in good position isn't enough in this league and guys will fight to make a play too. He shows potential and didn't back down from any challenges. He got schooled on the pro game though and we have to see if he steps his game up another level as the season goes on.

Jamin is catching a lot of heat and understandably so. He didn't have many flash plays to stand out. His one tackle for a loss play, he got downdield fast and shot his gap, like we have needed for a long time. He didn't dance or really celebrate after the play so it went unnoticed for the most part. His responsibility was the RB a lot of pass plays when he was in. When the RB went out, he was covered. The QB didn't throw his way. When the RB stayed in to pass block, Jamin was blitzing to the RB. He didn't get any clean breaks so none of those blitzes went noticed. He played a quiet game, but he's not my concern after today. He looked how I expected.

Cosmi had a tough assignment, and we rarely gave him help. Did we ever give him help? Or did we just watch our OC give Sam Cosmi 4 quarters of Bosa 1 on 1? Didn't agree with that decision... seemed clear early in the game that he would need more help. Thankfully Bosa's berserker mode granted us 2 huge penalties. Cosmi has to do better, and we have to be more mindful in our offensive attack.

Dyami got thrown into the fire by his coaches, and then he got the heat turnt all the way up by the QBs targeting him every 2 passes. He clearly earned everyone's confidence this offseason, but we have a guy named McClaurin who should remain priority 1 in the pass game. Brown as a #2 I like. Brown as a forced fed #1 in his first NFL game is a bit much. We need to be intentional in our attack the way the Chargers were about getting certain players the ball. Brown seemed surprised they were throwing him the ball so much. He has to make the plays if the give him opportunities.

Patterson is a nice change up. He did well with his limited touches. 

A few plays change and all the players would be getting praise right now. We lose by 4, and I understand everyone will get heat. It's a tough loss, but I'm not panicking. The first hour of week 1 NFL football reminded me how unpredictable seasons can be. Just like this game, their will be highs (Jackson INT) and lows (Gibson fumble), and they will be unexpected(like Heinicke as our week 1 QB). This season will be a long ride. 

The good thing about a quick turn around, is we can quickly put this game behind us. That's if the players respond the right way. We will see Thursday night.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Destino said:

True, but how many teams in the NFL have failed to draft a franchise QBs long as the Washington Football Team?  Here it’s not just that we missed on Herbert, it’s that we’ve missed on every QB for a generation.  He’s just the latest example.

The last time Washington selected a QB in the first round who would win a playoff game for them was 1937. Yep, it's been that long.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

The last time Washington selected a QB in the first round who would win a playoff game for them was 1937. Yep, it's been that long.

Maybe we should just pick a QB in the 1st round every year until we hit on one.  :ols:

With the hit % on 1st round QBs being around 50%, eventually the odds say we'll find our guy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Maybe we should just pick a QB in the 1st round every year until we hit on one.  :ols:

With the hit % on 1st round QBs being around 50%, eventually the odds say we'll find our guy.

Why we continue to suck:

1999 First,2nd and 3rd for Brad Johnson (Vikes used that first to draft Culpepper)

2002 1st for Ramsey

(2004 Drafted ST instead of Big Ben )

2005 1st, 3rd, and 4th for Jason Campbell...after passing on Aaron Rodgers to draft Carlos Rogers.

2012 - 3 firsts and a 2nd for RG3 

2019 1st for Haskins.

I am only including firsts here.  There were also lots of mid round picks on guys like Rosenfels, McGnat, etc., But we have pissed away 7 first round picks in 21 years, so we are effectively forfeiting a 1st rounder every 3 years. Hopefully the cycle only lasts a century, so we can look forward to drafting a HoF QB in 2037.

• Like 1

I think there are good interception's and Bad interception's, ours today in my opinion was a bad one, OK hear me out first, if that Chargers pass goes incomplete we could Force them into trying a field goal. Which ties the score at 16, and we start at our 20 yard line minimum. But the interception had us starting at our 4 yard line, and me, you, the neighbourhood dog and the horse in the local stable new we were going to run the ball. Which means the Chargers could rush 8 men to stop it. 

Just my opinion guys and Galls. 

HTTR 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TysonM said:

Just because it was the result of someone hitting him, it doesn't mean he's not accountable.

He was hit. But as far as we know, he could have been holding it gingerly.

Both can be true.

Every year a team finds its frnach

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I mean yeah, we should. Instead we kept drafting defense and then we give up 14 3rd down conversions. 

29 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Fitz didn't look comfortable or very confident in the offense. Heinicke appeared more comfortable in the offense. He was more elusive in the pocket and his running added an element to the offense. He isn't the best downfield passer, but his decision making was good. Penalties killed his drives on offense.

He didn't look comfortable to my eyes because he was under seige.  I don't think it was because Heinicke is more comfortable with the offense.  The reason IMO is Heinicke's skill set is tailor made to dodging pressure.  Arguably his greatest skill is elusiveness in the pocket.  And in a game where the O line couldn't stop pressure  -- heinicke is better suited for that than Fitz.

Big game coming up for Heinicke.  Prime time.  I am watching the Giants game right now and Denver are handling them with ease in NY.  If this team is any good we should beat them in a short week at home.  

Daniel Jones still hasn't conquered his fumble issues.  Granted Daniel does own only one team and only one team only in the NFL and that is this team.  But his luck has to run out eventually?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think a less predictable pattern on when you throw would have helped. Or at least more varied use of short passes and screens (did we even try one?) would have been better than what we put out there. 

Yeah that would have been better.  There were also a fair few situational football mistakes made that hurt.  I'm sure there were many ways we could have optimized our offensive play and game management, but they were just better than us.  Our only chance was to get an early lead and then get a waaaay better performance from the D on third down.

I got hyped and had fun for a minute there when Heinecke came in and provided the spark, but whenever we get little Cinderella moments like that, the clock almost immediately goes back to midnight.  And the reality sets back in that we're just mediocre.

We desperately need a big win on Thursday.  Otherwise things could get way off track in a hurry and it's a desperate fight just to get back to mediocrity.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We desperately need a big win on Thursday.  Otherwise things could get way off track in a hurry and it's a desperate fight just to get back to mediocrity.

If they lose to the Giants.  I got two takeaways. 

A.  this team is worse than mediocre.  I am watching the Giants-Denver game right now and I am unimpressed with the Giants.  They are stout against the run up the middle -- their tackles and Martinez are beasts against the run.  You got to run on the edges against them IMO.   But otherwise, "meh".  lol, watch me jinx it and they end up rallying.

B.  We can maybe ponder having a top 10 pick.  We got so many big teams on the slate this year scheduling wise that if we can't handle the Giants again, its hard for me to see where the wins come from?

maybe I did jinx it, wow, what a play right there by Golladay

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are going to have to alter the approach to pass pro.  Cosmi needs help, he just is not capable of consistently blocking high end edge players.  I'd have to watch the game again to see where other points of failure were, Cosmi's issues with Bosa were obvious.  

But Logan Thomas is not pass blocker.  I don't know that there's a good solution for us to where we can get really good line play this season.