Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Taylor had 16 pass attempts, Fitz had 6. 22 in all. The game plan was to pound the ball repeatedly with a guy who has never done it before. Scott was delusional in how he thought he was gojng to dominate offensively.

Pounding it was our only shot.  You really think we were going to be able to throw on that secondary with this quarterback and receiver group?  With Bosa going up against Cosmi for 35 or 40 snaps?

Our offense is garbage and our coaches are mediocre, but even a mediocre coach can see that our only chance of beating that superior opponent was on the ground.  We got shown today what an actual good QB and great WR look like.  Also got shown what good coaching looks like too.  We even got lucky with home cooking officiating and it didn't matter.  This is just a flawed team and we're going to struggle put points up and win games where our defense isn't utterly dominant.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

So we’ve already hit the “should have drafted Herbert over Chase” hyperbole because he picked apart our inept secondary? That was fast.

He had all day to throw the ball and plenty of space to step into his throws.  Chase at #2 was a mistake, one that I acknowledge a lot of teams would have made. I’m just not convinced the scouts did a good job of analyzing how his strengths and weaknesses would translate to the NFL game. Very unpolished pass rusher who ate up mediocre  linemen in college.  He’s a good run stopper, I’ll give him that. 

There was chatter about trading down at the time, so not a far-fetched concept. 

2 minutes ago, Capsman said:

He had all day to throw the ball and plenty of space to step into his throws.  Chase at #2 was a mistake, one that I acknowledge a lot of teams would have made. I’m just not convinced the scouts did a good job of analyzing how his strengths and weaknesses would translate to the NFL game. Very unpolished pass rusher who ate up mediocre  linemen in college.  He’s a good run stopper, I’ll give him that. 

There was chatter about trading down at the time, so not a far-fetched concept. 

Man, imagine trading down with Miami for them to draft Tua, and us drafting Herbert at #6 while picking up extra draft capital. This team would be Super Bowl contenders this year.

Hindsight is a torturous thing…

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Wasn't an egregious call. We (myself included) tend to overstate ****. W/o Gibson's fumble inside the 10, how many points the D give up. Even had 2 takeaways and who knows how lopsided the TOP was. Rivera bet on his bread and butter. Herbert played great. Even the rook cb had tight coverage....Herbert made great throws. Zone cover has to be hella better.

Herbert owned this defense, was never in danger. Some turnovers and fortuitous calls that went our way made the score look closer, but this defense got DESTROYED today. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Taylor had 16 pass attempts, Fitz had 6. 22 in all. The game plan was to pound the ball repeatedly with a guy who has never done it before. Scott was delusional in how he thought he was gojng to dominate offensively.

I'm sure he didnt bank on the Chargers running almost 80 plays and converting 3rd downs at will.  That'll keep your play count down.  

They ran for 126 and 4.7 a carry, that part worked out ok.   The passing game was just nonexistent really.  The gunslinger version of Fitz didn't get off the bus.  

The big play of the game was a miracle catch by Mclaurin. Otherwise, they made next to no attempt to throw past 10 yards with Fitz in, and Heinicke just isn't particularly accurate past 15-20 yards. He was airmailing throws and the ones he hit were the receiver bailing him out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yng Lady88 said:

love when opposing offenses know they cant be stopped and can call a win on the play (and game, really) before the ball is even snapped. Herbert/Allen got what they wanted all day

This has been a common theme over the years no matter who the coach is.  No more things change, no more they stay the same.

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm sure he didnt bank on the Chargers running almost 80 plays and converting 3rd downs at will.  That'll keep your play count down.  

They ran for 126 and 4.7 a carry, that part worked out ok.   The passing game was just nonexistent really.  The gunslinger version of Fitz didn't get off the bus.  

The big play of the game was a miracle catch by Mclaurin. Otherwise, they made next to no attempt to throw past 10 yards with Fitz in, and Heinicke just isn't particularly accurate past 15-20 yards. He was airmailing throws and the ones he hit were the receiver bailing him out.

No version of Fitz got off the bus. He had next to zero time to pass and then eventually got clobbered and left the game after only throwing 6 passes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No version of Fitz got off the bus. He had next to zero time to pass and then eventually got clobbered and left the game after only throwing 6 passes. 

Yep Chargers pass rush was legit today.    The expectation was the Chargers O line was "meh" and our D line would feast.    But the reverse actually happened.

They got no excuses for this Thursday -- the Giants O line is legit bad. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

My takeaways:

Curl is the real deal. He is heading for a Pro Bowl at some point. 

WJ3 was a great signing. He is a beast in press. If only JDR would allow him to do it more.

Heine was fine. We can win games with him at QB. 

Gibsons fumble at our own 5 is unacceptable. And it cost us the game. The defense had allowed 13 points until then. 

Scherff may be the most over payed player in the league right now. I dont know what happened to him.

Ignoring Terry in the first half made no sense. 

Way is a Pro bowl level punter. 

Hopkins cant kick a field goal over 50 yards. That makes him worthless as an NFL kicker.

• Thanks 1