Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 NFL Draft Day Thread

TK
Message added by TK,

1223355385_draftpicks2021.jpeg.c39ad75f53563c858124413250ea8c49.jpeg

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don’t hate it. I like Davis as a player. Good instincts and speed. Explosive. Good tackler. Fixes the god damn LB spot. 

He’s raw as **** though.

So he hasn't developed a lot of bad habits....  Remember, 5th-year option and he'll get more training/tutelage under the Riverboat Captain and his first officer.   He  also gets to learn behind a pretty good DL. Yeah, Double-U Eff Tee!

His measurable, size and speed, potential is the highest of any LB in this draft. It's up to our coaches to bring it put of him. He's a player I wanted with our 2nd from the beginning of this process so I'm happy we got him. His pro day forced us to take him a round earlier.

Prospect Info

COLLEGE
Kentucky
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Ludowici, GA
R-Junior

HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 3 1/2"
234 lbs
33"
HANDS
9 1/2"

Prospect Grade

WILL BE STARTER WITHIN FIRST TWO SEASONS

HOW WE GRADE

i

Player Bio

Jamin (pronounced JAY-min) Davis was an honorable mention all-state pick from Long County High School in Georgia (born in Hawaii) who redshirted in 2017. He played in all 13 games as a reserve during his redshirt freshman season (10 tackles, one interception). Davis played in all 13 games (one start) in 2019, posting 32 stops and an interception. He led the Wildcats with 102 tackles (four for loss) as a junior, with 1.5 sacks while starting 10 games (missed Alabama game due to COVID-19 protocols). He also intercepted three passes on the year, returning one for a touchdown with another setting up a win-securing touchdown in the team's TaxSlayer Gator Bowl victory over North Carolina State. Davis' father, James, played football at Bethune-Cookman and his younger brother, Treyon, plays at Division III powerhouse Mount Union. -- by Chad Reuter
Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
NFL Comparison
Kiko Alonso
Overview
Lightly experienced, but ascending inside linebacker prospect with excellent blend of size, length and pursuit talent. Davis plays with his pads squared to the line of scrimmage, operating with quick, lateral scrapes and a nose for finding the ball-carrier. He needs to improve his technique in taking on blocks and constricting run lanes. His vision, focus and field awareness are innate strengths that all play a part in his ability to play past blockers with his eyes and pursue with consistent fluidity to the direction of the running play. He can cover big tight ends. He also plays with anticipation and an above-average catch radius to make quarterbacks pay for taking him lightly in zone. Davis could use more seasoning before he's ready for full-time snaps but he should become a starter.
Strengths
  • Big linebacker with desired athleticism inside.
  • Put a mark into every category, including blocked kick and defensive touchdown in 2020.
  • Plays with impressive focus and vision.
  • Gains ground quickly with clean lateral scrape.
  • Peripheral vision to play around angle blocks.
  • Displays ability to work off block quickly when positioning is right.
  • Controlled pursuit transitions to tackle-ready platform.
  • Combines length and play strength as optimal finishing tools.
  • Coverage recognition to work high to low.
  • Quarterbacks must respect his catch radius and ability to take it away.
Weaknesses
  • Has just 11 career starts under his belt.
  • Talented, but inexperience will show at times.
  • Needs to diagnose and respond just a shade quicker as a pro.
  • Average toughness in his take-on of lead blockers.
  • Room for improvement with hand usage and pad level as tackler.
  • Underestimates pursuit angle from time to time.
Sources Tell Us

"I think he has everything to be a dude, so I'm really going to push hard for him in meetings this year because he's going to make us better within a couple of years." -- Area scout for NFC team

Seems like the kind of guy you’d hope to get after a 6-8 spot trade back, but no one dropped that’s worth trading up for seemingly, so you follow the board. Seems like a freak, little bit of a reach but could really show out behind this DL. The way the draft fell, nobody I was really dying for, I’m cool with it with my limited knowledge lol

Davis is super high ceiling with his athleticism. I guess we figure the defense is already so OP that he won't be exposed too hard as he's learning. 

Davis has the talent to be an all star every year and a good fit for our needs. 

Archived