Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 NFL Draft Day Thread

TK
Message added by TK,

1223355385_draftpicks2021.jpeg.c39ad75f53563c858124413250ea8c49.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

The feeling I'm getting is that our draft picks aren't being picked to be Day 1 saviors for the team.  

The impression I'm getting is that we're picking people who can be starters in '22.  Maybe depth, or ST, or situational this year.  Maybe Jammin this year.  

I'm cool with that.  

I think Jamin Davis and Dyami Brown could see a lot of time early. Cosmi and BSJ (sounds naughty), might take a little while. 

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think Jamin Davis and Dyami Brown could see a lot of time early. Cosmi and BSJ (sounds naughty), might take a little while. 

Think 'we' are sleeping on BSJ. 

Strong and physical press cover corner. He'll have to work his way in, but by mid-season it should be:

CB1: WJ3

CB2: BSJ

CB3/FS: Fuller

This may be the best two days of the draft I have seen from this team. It appears as if they have four starters. 

3 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Think 'we' are sleeping on BSJ. 

Strong and physical press cover corner. He'll have to work his way in, but by mid-season it should be:

CB1: WJ3

CB2: BSJ

CB3/FS: Fuller

This may be the best two days of the draft I have seen from this team. It appears as if they have four starters. 

If BSJ can take on the other outside WR I'm stoked about this pick. Fuller is a beast as a nickel corner, he is truly an elite player at that position.

I want to go for the double dip at linebacker and grab Dylan Moses in the 4th if he is still there. If he can get his confidence back after the ACL injury, that is another upside pick. At the very minimum, I'd rather have him as a depth upgrade over David Mayo

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If BSJ can take on the other outside WR I'm stoked about this pick. Fuller is a beast as a nickel corner, he is truly an elite player at that position.

Their choice to go after Jackson and now St-Juste is very telling. Clear what they want to do. 

Think Fuller could have a career year if he can play zone and make plays, largely working inside. 

Many teams are putting their top players in the slot anyway. 

So with the team having addressed LB, DB, WR, and OT, at this point the only glaring weakness I see is TE depth and FS.  I think they would be perfectly happy to go into the season without any additional picks, and that means while it would be nice to grab another OLinemen, another LBer, and maybe a DB with the day 3 picks, they can just draft whatever player they feel has potential at any position.

I do think a late round RB is highly likely, and at least one pick will be another OLinemen because you can never have too many.

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Still a void at DE3, but maybe we can lure Kerrigan back for a year post draft.

You aren’t going to find your 3rd DE in Day 3. Need to resign Kerrigan with a chip on his shoulder. I am up for a DE to compete with JSW for the 4th DE spot

The Dutch recap day 2

I'm pleasantly surprised by the first year we are really running the draft with Ron and all his lieutenants. Not with some former regime guys. After today I'm 100% sure what they want to do. They value athletic (speed) highly and go for the more athletic upside pick instead of the more saver pick. At day 2 there was always a saver position player imo but with a lower ceiling. In previous years we might have taken the more solid team captain prospect, you know he is going to produce can be on the field early...but also knew he is not going to be a star. I like that we now have the guts to go for the high ceiling guys. Might not work out but you take a chance at a dominant player. 

Pick by pick

Cosmi - OT - Texas: I must be honest I did not know much myself about this guy, so had to look it up. Looks like this guy has all the tools to be a good starting tackle just needs to become stronger and have better technique. But his ceiling seems pretty high if he can get it together. I do not 100% agree with going for this type of OT because I think we have a need now. This guy should not start this year. But they take the short term loss for the long term potential better player. 

St-Just - CB - Minnesota: Love this pick. I think this guy really shined in the Senior bowl and you could just see his ability to go 1v1 with all kinds of WRs. His short area quickness is really good for a longer corner. Basically he has everything you want physically in a press corner only again...bit raw on his technique. You really need to develop him. But if you find a way to do. Then you found a starting press man outside corner in round 3. That's great value. But we take the risk that he might not develop and just never is starting material. 

Brown - WR - NC: This is what we talked about in on this forum. This year's WR class is deep. Based on production and skill set Brown could be a second round WR in other years. Finding a guy like that in the second half of 3 is great. I like that this guy has a lot of speed to take the top of D's but is totally not soft. He is a competitive guy, willing blocker and will take the hit in the middle of the field. A lot of times these type of guys lack that mentality. His route running needs more work but like the other picks. You can teach/coach him up on that. The pick just surprises me a bit, will tell why in the next paragraph. 

Final note. Last year I could not really discover what our O wanted to be. I also felt like the O Turner was running in Carolina was also not fully what he wanted. The picks of this year, last year and FA tells me a bit more. We really want to stretch the field and be really dynamic. We are loading up at WRs who force you to keep your safeties deep and are a threat to go deep every play. You don't want Terry, Curtis or Dynami run 1v1 without Safety help. So that stretches out the field deep. Them we have guys like Gibson who can do a lot of damage with screens. Get outside the tackles. They stretch the field horizontally. You can't just let your average speed LBer run sideline to sideline with Gibson. So you force their D to play a bit wider. Because the D needs to respect our team vertically and horizontally you create a lot of space in the middle. So you will see we will get "easy" short yardage in the middle and always be that threat to punish you when you start defending the middle more. Because then we open up our explosive outside plays. 

This looks like an excellent haul by the FO..

Every pick had the future in mind. They are all unfinished products, more so than normal rookies. Less so for maybe Brown’s style of play and production but even he is 21 years old. 

We have an interesting mix going on in the FO. What it’s turning out are what look like astute calculated picks with our system’s in mind & with Vision.  

Cosmi-  

I’ve said he looked like Tarzan and played like Jane sometimes and I think that’s true. What’s also true is that he’s a special athlete. Like Really special. If Matsko can work his magic on him, he can be really good. Not sure if he starts right away. If he comes in like a ball of clay ready to be molded into a monster he’s got a shot, and not sure exactly where on the line yet. I think I read somewhere Rivera said LT to begin, so we’ll see where he fits.  Either way long term he should be a solid starter with probowl upside. 

St. Juste-

From the little I’ve seen dude is a really unique athlete. 6’’3 205 4.5 40...Plays smart and tough with long arms. In the Smoot interview he mentioned teams talking to him about playing safety as well, said he’s open to do it and did it a little in Minn. Looks like a good kid.  Versatile tough long fast defender. Ideal in press coverage. We are definitely switching it up more on D this year, with more press pressure looks. Jackson’s speciality is press as well. 

Brown-

is a baller. What I’ve noticed is his suddenness, variation of speed, and his IQ to get by defenders constantly. He runs a 4.4 which is fast but kinda the standard these days. He reads the DB well and gets where he needs to go other ways. Dudes a producer and playmaker. He can be deadly as the WR 3 or 4 in this offense. Cannot wait to see Terry, Curtis, and Dyami on the field together.

For the final 4 picks I'd like see some of these guys at some point.. 

Fingers Crossed for Brevin Jordan/  Micheal Carter/  Trey Smith/  Deonte Brown l/ Jamar Johnson/ in the 4th...or Yeboah 5th

Maybe a little Dylan Moses/ Jabril Cox/  McGrone 4th/5th

Also could see Chris Rumph/ Jordan Smith/  Rashad Weaver/  Tommy Doyle/  Josh Ball 4th/ 5th / 7ths

Possibilities: Bobby Brown/ Shelvin/ Thomas Fletcher/ Granson 7ths

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd love to add a TE/RB/FS still.  But they've done a masterful job IMO working the draft so far.

This is exactly my assessment. This roster is utterly transformed. We are going to go into next offseason with almost no holes, needing mostly to add blue chip guys and a long term QB to raise our ceiling. 

Look at how transformed our skill position group already is, for example. We have a legitimately scary, fast, and deep WR group now. It's incomparably better. And there is still so much depth at WR. There are going to be WR's available all the way to the end of the draft. Before the draft, I though Kelvin Harmon should not make the roster. Now, I could see us adding one more guy and WR2-5 would all be new and AGG doesn't even make the roster. 

Also, I love this draft. Everyone looks like a high ceiling player. So much speed. Very good size/length for the most part. Not a single Ryan Anderson to be found. 

Also, there is so much talent left. 

Michael Carter

Chuba Hubbard

Rhamondre Stevenson

Tylan Wallace

Amon-Ra St Brown

Marquez Stevenson
Tamorrion Terry

Seth Williams

Ihmir Smith-Marsette

Brevin Jordan

Kenny Yeboah

Trey Smith

Quincy Roche

Jabril Cox

Cameron McGrone

Derrick Barnes

Shaun Wade

Caden Sterns

I wish we had more picks. I'd love to add Brevin Jordan to complete the TE room. He fits what we do on offense so well. And the TE group there isn't as deep. I think you can plug in Wade at slot CB and have a super physical traitsy guy to develop with a very high ceiling. Can't believe Jabril Cox is still available. I expect to come out of this draft happy with regards to what we do in the mid to late rounds. 

For those unfamiliar with Benjamin - I drafted Benjamin St-Juste in our ES mock draft for Atlanta, so needless to say I love this pick. He is rangy CB with long arms and good closing. He plays good press man and is a very sure tackler. He is raw as he did not paly many games in college both due to an early injury (2018) and then Covid limited him to 5 gms last year. 

He has all the physical traits and is a very smart kid. He just needs good coaching to take him to the next level in terms of route recognition and and his technique is raw due to coming from Canada and playing limited games at Michigan and then Minn. But has great instincts and honestly that wing span of his helps his recovery even when he does get beat. Not to mention he is more than solid in run support. Do not be surprised if they move him to FS. When I drafted him in Atlanta that's honestly what I had in mind. He played a little S in MN and did well. Lot's of upside to this kid. At the very least he should provide some strong depth but he could also turn into a solid starter. 

Here is a highlight reel: 

Some pile of talent left on the board. What a great draft this has been so far. Aside from the usual names being talked about, including the RB Jefferson and TE Bates mentioned by TK, so much WR talent available too.

I’m looking out for a couple of surprise names day 3:

David Moore, OG Grambling State (round 4 or 5)

Darius Stills, DL, West Virginia (round 7)

We need a LS too :ols: was it Cole Jenkins or something we went to watch, Boston College? Anyway, get a LS late in the 7th.

Wonder if we slightly trade back to add another 5th/6th.

I'd love to see us emerge with a TE and a RB today. I didnt have RB on my list of wants but given the way the draft has shaken out, I think grabbing one would be a good move. 

Love the draft so far. For the first time in a long time it feels like the team has a plan and a vision. We finally seem to be putting together a culture and identity we can be proud of.

Any chance Brevin Jordan falls to our spot or would we need to move up to snag him?

@wilco_holland and @COWBOY-KILLA- hit on what I was thinking. The common trait among all our draft picks is that they are unfinished products. I think that speaks to the fact that this staff must view themselves as good teachers. They are looking at the clay and seeing the finished vase. At the same time, we're not seeing simply "workout warriors" and athletic freaks. Sure, these guys need to be taught and to have their game refined, but they also produced at the college level. So, they were good despite being raw.

What I'm seeing is a draft where if the coaches can coach and the players are willing to put in the work, we will be really happy with this draft in a year or two.

As always, there are picks I questioned. Biggest one for me was the corner who reads like a much lower draft prospect, but I've been wrong before and others on this board who know much more and have studied these players in greater detail seem high on him. I also had some question about Brown, but that's because I worry about receivers who are one-note and don't have a good route tree. I also looked at the unit (this year) and saw McClaurin, Samuels, Humphries, and Cam and worried about field time. Mostly though, it's because I kind of wanted Tremble. On the other hand, Brown's highlights are awesome and everyone seems to love the pick.

Today’s guys for me: 

Caden Sterns

Ar’Darius Washington

Jamar Johnson

Tyree Gillespie

Trill Williams

Shaun Wade

Jabril Cox

Derrick Barnes

Dylan Moses

Brevin Jordan 

Matt Bushman

Yeboah (athletic freak kind of dude at TE)

Quincy Roche (can’t believe he’s on the board)

Rashad Weaver

Cam Sample

Hamilcar Rasheed

Kenneth Gainwell

Khalil Herbert

Jaret Patterson

Michael Carter

Chuba Hubbard

Kylin Hill

Jimmy Morrissey

Shane Buechele

Ben Mason

After sleeping on it I have to say that I came to a realization about this draft:

This is the absolute first time where I haven’t had a single “uh, I don’t get it but maybe the FO knows more about this guy” moment. Not one. Even our “reach”, which is only a reach in theory if Rivera’s story is to believed, fits what this team is heading towards. A man corner who likes to kick the **** out of receivers.

We drafted legitimate talent at OT, WR and LB. Three areas of need and, to be quite honest, all three of those picks were likely BPA.

Some people were doubting Rivera’s “Davis was our top rated D player” remark, but...

I think their board may not be as vast as ours from afar. I think they genuinely pared their board down from everyone to guys that fit with this team’s schematic needs. 

And if you think about it that way, every pick makes a ton of sense.

So, after sleeping on it I’m still just as high on this class.

Great work, WFT.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Some people were doubting Rivera’s “Davis was our top rated D player” remark, but...

Spot on, when you think about it LB was our biggest need, Rivera was never going to bring character issues into the building with Parsons

Davis’s coverage skills likely took him above Collins on their board

I know HC’s like to blow smoke on their picks, sometimes by telling porkies, this ain’t one of those times he genuinely meant it

1 minute ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Spot on, when you think about it LB was our biggest need, Rivera was never going to bring character issues into the building with Parsons

Davis’s coverage skills likely took him above Collins on their board

I know HC’s like to blow smoke on their picks, sometimes by telling porkies, this ain’t one of those times he genuinely meant it

Parsons wasn’t even on “my board”. 

And when Dallas picked him (as I predicted *pat on my own back*) I felt validated :ols:

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

After sleeping on it I have to say that I came to a realization about this draft:

This is the absolute first time where I haven’t had a single “uh, I don’t get it but maybe the FO knows more about this guy” moment. Not one. Even our “reach”, which is only a reach in theory if Rivera’s story is to believed, fits what this team is heading towards. A man corner who likes to kick the **** out of receivers.

Me either but thinking about it often that left field pick for me happened in the 4th round of late so my fingers are crossed it doesn't happen today.  :ols:   I can't recall a draft where I had so mnay players I like left on the board for the 4th. 

At the time some of the ones that got me puzzled were Nicholson, Apke, Wes Martin, LeRibeus, Spencer Long.  Granted the deeper you got in the draft the tougher it is to pull off a gem but at those times I had players I liked a lot more. 

But in my mind they are killing it right now.

Archived