Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 NFL Draft Day Thread

TK
Message added by TK,

1223355385_draftpicks2021.jpeg.c39ad75f53563c858124413250ea8c49.jpeg

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I prefer Mason to Rhamondre.

Mason is a fun player to watch, I stumbled on him by accident when I read someone posting he's a TE so it bothered me that I missed one.  FB/RB/TE -- he even played on defense.  Wild player.   Mostly FB.

Standig

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.00.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.00.39 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah that's possible. But I don't think Collins wants to and to be honest I'd rather just cut him post June 1st.

I hear ya, a disgruntled, aging, overpaid player is not ideal.  I just hope they didn't love JOK, but chose to pass on him due to LC, and then they cut LC in the near future.  But I like the cosmi pick so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

• Like 1

Unless we move up to get a top 5 ranked player left, I’m guessing we back out of our slot for an extra 5th or 6th.

RB Jefferson (Carter will be gone in think)

CB Kary Vincent Jr

QB Jamie Newman

S Jamar Johnson

WR (Do we take another?) too many to list.

OG David Moore

TE John Bates

Best available LS at the end of the 7th.

Every year there seems to be a highly rated player fall right through the rounds. Not sure we have that this year unless say Jabril Cox keeps getting overlooked. Maybe LB Moses is the player that drops until someone rolls the dice on his medical issues.

Not sure we stay with a 4,5,7,7. - Think we will trade today.

I think this stage last year was when we moved Trent then picked Charles straight away. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Spot on, when you think about it LB was our biggest need, Rivera was never going to bring character issues into the building with Parsons

Davis’s coverage skills likely took him above Collins on their board

I know HC’s like to blow smoke on their picks, sometimes by telling porkies, this ain’t one of those times he genuinely meant it

The thought that keeps popping up in my head is that the WFT could have had the combo of OT Darrisaw and LB/S JOK.

At first I was disappointed that they took Davis over Darrisaw. But now that they landed Cosmi and further thought about how well Davis should fit into this defensive scheme, I'm thoroughly pleased with how things have played out. Especially if Cosmi can truly develop into a starting LT.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah that's possible. But I don't think Collins wants to and to be honest I'd rather just cut him post June 1st.

Yeah he's been pretty clear that he does not want to play LB. If he is not into it then he will never be productive.  I'd just keep him as a backup and then release him after next season.  What a terrible signing.  

• Like 1

Just caught up with a Sheehan podcast that he did yesterday, nothing new, but I'll give him more props he mentioned Dyami Brown in the mix of possibilities.  Everyone else he mentioned is already gone at WR.   He doubled down that they wouldn't take a QB -- he ended up right on that it seems.

He mentioned J. Jefferson.  He mentioned Gainwell who I love but couldn't tell if that was just him guessing or he heard they like him.  Ditto Jake Funk another dude I really like. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

R2 (51) WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: OT SAMUEL COSMI, TEXAS

Pick Grade: Elite

Cosmi is easily one of the most athletic offensive tackles in this class. That athleticism, along with his size, is always going to interest teams. Cosmi also earned pass-blocking grades of at least 82.0 in three consecutive seasons as a starter at Texas. There are some things he’ll have to clean up with his technique in the NFL, but there is a lot to like with his profile coming out of college. He should compete with several in-house options for the starting left tackle job in Washington.

R3 (74) WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: CB BENJAMIN ST-JUSTE, MINNESOTA

Pick: Average

St-Juste brings a rare combination of length and change-of-direction ability at cornerback. The Minnesota cornerback is listed at 6-foot-3 with over an 80-inch wingspan, and his three-cone and short shuttle times both ranked in the 90th percentile or better at the position. You won’t find many big cornerbacks who can move like that. St-Juste just isn’t all that experienced (420 career coverage snaps) despite turning 24 years old in September.

R3 (82) WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: WR DYAMI BROWN, NORTH CAROLINA

Pick: Very Good

Ranked 45th on the PFF Big Board, Brown falls to 82 overall. Brown wasn’t asked to fill a lot of roles at North Carolina, as he played left wide receiver almost every snap, but he’s a great route runner and you can project that onto the more advanced route tree he will have to run at the next level. He fills out the Washington receiving corps nicely.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-grades-all-day-2-picks

DJ's favorite left

https://www.nfl.com/news/best-remaining-prospects-available-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

BEST REMAINING DRAFT PROSPECTS

Rank

Jabril Cox

LSU · LB · Senior (RS)
Rank

Michael Carter

North Carolina · RB · Senior
Rank

Drew Dalman

Stanford · C · Junior (RS)
Rank

Elerson Smith

Northern Iowa · Edge · Senior (RS)
Rank

Kenneth Gainwell

Memphis · RB · Sophomore (RS)
Rank

Zech McPhearson

Texas Tech · CB · Senior (RS)
Rank

Cameron Sample

Tulane · Edge · Senior
Rank

Brevin Jordan

Miami · TE · Junior
Rank

Tylan Wallace

Oklahoma State · WR · Senior
Rank

James Hudson

Cincinnati · OT · Junior (RS)
Rank

Derrick Barnes

Purdue · LB · Senior
Rank

D'Ante Smith

East Carolina · OT · Senior (RS)
Rank

Tre Brown

Oklahoma · CB · Senior
Rank

Jaylon Moore

Western Michigan · OG · Senior (RS)
Rank

Deonte Brown

Alabama · OG · Senior (RS)
Rank

Amon-Ra St. Brown

USC · WR · Junior
Rank

Robert Rochell

Central Arkansas · CB · Senior (RS)
Rank

Chuba Hubbard

Oklahoma State · RB · Junior (RS)
Rank

Keith Taylor

Washington · CB · Senior
Rank

Richard LeCounte III

Georgia · S · Senior
Rank

Daviyon Nixon

Iowa · DT · Junior (RS)
Rank

Jonathon Cooper

Ohio State · Edge · Senior (RS)
Rank

Quincy Roche

Miami · Edge · Senior (RS)
Rank

Trey Smith

Tennessee · OG · Senior
Rank

Demetric Felton

UCLA · WR · Senior (RS)
Rank

Patrick Johnson

Tulane · Edge · Senior
Rank

Jordan Smith

UAB · Edge · Junior (RS)
Rank

Marlon Tuipulotu

USC · DT · Junior (RS)
Rank

Tyler Shelvin

LSU · DT · Junior (RS)
Rank

Tyree Gillespie

Missouri · S · Senior
Rank

Talanoa Hufanga

USC · S · Junior
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

😆Wow!!!!!!!!!!  Skip really flipped out that day.  I assume the subject was the Cowboys...or LeBron who Skip hates on every chance he gets.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program (the draft).😉

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mason is a fun player to watch, I stumbled on him by accident when I read someone posting he's a TE so it bothered me that I missed one.  FB/RB/TE -- he even played on defense.  Wild player.   Mostly FB.

Standig

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.00.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 10.00.39 AM.png

You don't waste a pick on a LS.  Picks are valuable.  You sign an UDFA as a LS.  

I don't know if there's one worth drafting, but I wouldn't mind if picked up a kicker. Hopkins had a pretty rough year last year. His best asset is touchbacks. His accuracy and clutchness on field goals is not good enough. Plus, he will miss more than a few chip shots every season that should be automatics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know we are loaded at receiver and it would be early to discard Gandy-Golden but it would be on the table for me.  The two players I didn't like initially back in the day but talked myself into especially after we drafted them were Ryan Anderson and Gandy-Golden.  

I recall Ledyard being destoyed by WFT fans on twiitter when he highlighted which I did initially.  Which is what are the odds that an edge guy could be successful with short arms, atrocious agility and bad speed?  And it wasn't as if Ryan killed it production wise either in college albeit he was decent.  He was a nice story but so didn't fit the profile of a successful edge guy.  But i backed off on that in part with the story about how he has a meanstreak and plays with attitude.

My issue with Gandy-Golden initially was he wasn't good at seperating. And that was versus inferior competition.  But then I talked myself later into his catch radius/contested catch ability.  But I heard he was "meh" at training camp last year.  And he wasn't hot in his short sample last season.  But I waffle on this.  It's definitely not a lot of time and he deserves more.  But IMO there are heck like 20 receivers left who intrigue me more than Gandy-Golden. 

If the plan is to try and transition AGG to TE it makes sense. I don’t see him making it as a WR and especially not in our current WR room. We’ve also steered away from TE at spots it would have made sense 

45 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So Standig gives David Moore a mention too,  he’s got real potential. 

He looked good at the Senior Bowl and Doug Williams is probably familiar with him if he stays tuned into Grambling.

I like Trey Smith better though.  He didn't look that great at the SB and he has the blood clots issue, but he still started a ton of games despite that.  And he has fringe first round talent at RG.  I don't know how prohibitive his health problems truly are since they didn't keep him off the field much.  But he could be a graceful way to exit the Brandon Scherff mess.  That said, we also don't necessarily need a power block mauler at guard since we're building such a zone heavy line.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

You don't waste a pick on a LS.  Picks are valuable.  You sign an UDFA as a LS.  

I would definitely use the next to last pick of the draft on a LS if it was a player we have tagged as our 2021 LS. I mean, key role, secure the rights to him.

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just caught up with a Sheehan podcast that he did yesterday, nothing new, but I'll give him more props he mentioned Dyami Brown in the mix of possibilities.  Everyone else he mentioned is already gone at WR.   He doubled down that they wouldn't take a QB -- he ended up right on that it seems.

He mentioned J. Jefferson.  He mentioned Gainwell who I love but couldn't tell if that was just him guessing or he heard they like him.  Ditto Jake Funk another dude I really like. 

Hopefully Carter, if he's still available.  Funk in the 7th can be had there due to 2 ACL injuries.  

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would definitely use the next to last pick of the draft on a LS if it was a player we have tagged as our 2021 LS. I mean, key role, secure the rights to him.

We agree to disagree, my friend.  :)  Who you hoping for in the 4th and 5th, specifically in each round?  

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He looked good at the Senior Bowl and Doug Williams is probably familiar with him if he stays tuned into Grambling.

I like Trey Smith better though.  He didn't look that great at the SB and he has the blood clots issue, but he still started a ton of games despite that.  And he has fringe first round talent at RG.  I don't know how prohibitive his health problems truly are since they didn't keep him off the field much.  But he could be a graceful way to exit the Brandon Scherff mess.  That said, we also don't necessarily need a power block mauler at guard since we're building such a zone heavy line.

The player from Whitewater Wisc. or something like that.  Hurnery went specifically to scout him.  May want to keep an eye on him too.  He's an IOL.  

Edited by RWJ

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hopefully Carter, if he's still available.  Funk in the 7th can be had there due to 2 ACL injuries.  

Yep.  Carter is crazy good IMO.   I am a big Kylin Hill guy too.  Gainwell is explosive.   Herbert is underrated.  A lot of fish in the sea at RB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

I wonder if the coaches just look at LC and JOK as the same player.   If they can talk LC into playing some WLB, we have a proven version of JOK already on our defense.  Albeit for a lot more money, but it allowed us to address other needs.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought they wanted JOK but the Cosmi pick was a good one. 

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We agree to disagree, my friend.  :)  Who you hoping for in the 4th and 5th, specifically in each round?  

CB Kary Vincent Jr

QB Jamie Newman

S Jamar Johnson

OG David Moore

TE John Bates

Best available LS at the end of the 7th

No specifics on round, I’ve developed a man crush on LSU CB Vincent Jr today :ols:

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

CB Kary Vincent Jr

QB Jamie Newman

S Jamar Johnson

OG David Moore

TE John Bates

Best available LS at the end of the 7th

No specifics on round, I’ve developed a man crush on LSU CB Vincent Jr today :ols:

Really?  🤣

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jefferson is a nice value proposition.  He's going to be like a seventh round pick I think, and he was productive this season and maybe could have gotten into some awards conversations if they played a long season.

I'm a Gainwell fan, but I think Hubbard is better than him.  Hubbard is kind of like Dyami Brown in that he's faster than he timed.  He's actually a pretty good track athlete who won some big competitions in the 100 M IIRC.  Can't remember exactly what they were, but I remember he was a high level sprinter.  But the main things to like about him are that he is a decisive zone runner with a smooth game and a ton of production.  He's a good fit for our offense.

Funk is interesting too because of his rare measurable.  But Hubbard is my favorite RB still left, and I think he's fair value in the fourth.

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The player from Whitewater Wisc. or something like that.  Hurnery went specifically to scout him.  May want to keep an eye on him too.  He's an IOL. 

Someone snapped him up late last night.  I can't remember who but I saw it happen because the college game day crew ran a feature on him when he got picked.

• Like 1