Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

If you look at Fitz and Taylor’s playing styles I see a lot of similarities.  Both move around pretty well and like to push the ball down the field.  Both smart guys that seem to see the field pretty well.  Both throw a few balls up for grabs every now and then.  Fitzmagic will do his thing until he becomes Fitztragic and Taylor will step in and our younger version will just keep on keeping on.  I think Taylor has the skills to be the guy, but he hasn’t proven his body can take a full season (or maybe a complete game).  Between the two of them maybe we get one full time guy.

• Like 1

I am SUCH a fan of this signing. Mainly because it’s a very honest and transparent move for all parties. 

No one is force feeding Fitz as some sort of long term solution. No one saying we can now shelve the QB position beyond 2021. We know they took a legit shot at Stafford. I imagine they explored some other options that would have resulted in a more stable future at the position. But it didn’t come together. So rather than try and cram someone like Trubisky or Mariota or Darnold in there on the faint hope that there is still an elite player living in there, the team went with a known entity that has had recent success. He is also a ZERO risk in terms of team character, etc. 

No delusions here. Even for me, as a fan of this, I understand we haven’t “solved” anything. 

What we’ve done is brought in a HIGHLY competent and capable NFL starter while we continue to build the roster and culture. If the team is good around him, Fitz will NOT hold them back. Hold them back from the Super Bowl? Sure, maybe. But he won’t stunt development and in many cases he may very well help in that department— our young skill players are for sure going to get chances. No worries about our offense being check down city now. 

And he’s FUN. That never hurts. Fun, exciting, likable. I mean, that isn’t going to hurt anything. Super easy to root for no doubt. 

And yeah, there is 5-10% of me that wonders if maybe Fitz is the kind of guy that has been building a storybook ending. Maybe he will finally be on a roster that is legit good and has playoff hope AND one that hasn’t already committed a high pick sitting behind him. Maybe this will be his chance to really grab the reins of a team that can legit win. I mean if we can go 7-9 with our QB situation last year, I know we can be in that 9/10 win range with Fitz assuming rest of roster improves incrementally. 

To me, the hope here is that in 2021 the roster and culture really come together and Fitz helps keep things in order. Even if it’s clear we need to go next level at QB, he can hold fort down for a season. And then maybe in 2022 it becomes crystal clear what we need and we can dedicate all resources to getting it. 

I am fully on board with this. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, evmiii said:

If you look at Fitz and Taylor’s playing styles I see a lot of similarities.  Both move around pretty well and like to push the ball down the field.  Both smart guys that seem to see the field pretty well.  Both throw a few balls up for grabs every now and then.  Fitzmagic will do his thing until he becomes Fitztragic and Taylor will step in and our younger version will just keep on keeping on.  I think Taylor has the skills to be the guy, but he hasn’t proven his body can take a full season (or maybe a complete game).  Between the two of them maybe we get one full time guy.

Golly... for a while I thought you were describing these two.

USATSI_14767653-1024x683.jpg

The only ones left were Trubisky and Mullins. It's only one year and not as crazy as the Smith contract. We can grab other positions early in the draft this year and maybe be in position for a franchise QB next year. I think all the good ones will probably be gone before 19 anyways. For one year with Heinicke as backup seems fine with me. Fitmagic, Fitztragic, or Mr. Obvious... we'll see. I don't think it will be as bad as 2011.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evmiii said:

If you look at Fitz and Taylor’s playing styles I see a lot of similarities.  Both move around pretty well and like to push the ball down the field.  Both smart guys that seem to see the field pretty well.  Both throw a few balls up for grabs every now and then...

That's basically what I was saying here, trying to sum it all up in just a few words...

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And in fact, if you think about it, and honest about it ; Taylor Heinicke has quite a bit of Fitz in him.

He's like a Mini-Fitz

Gregg Rosenthal on nfl.com

"The weapons in Washington are underrated, with Terry McLaurin, Antonio Gibson and Logan Thomas comprising a nice trio to start with. If Washington adds another playmaker to the mix with intriguing role players Kelvin Harmon and Cam Sims, offensive coordinator Scott Turner will be cooking with gas.

This is still a defense-first team, led by the defensive line and coach Ron Rivera. Washington scraped out seven wins playing around its quarterbacks last year, and Fitzpatrick qualifies as an upgrade. I'm still not sure Washington will top seven wins in 2021, but they will have better numbers and be more fun to watch."

Come on Gregg make up your mind here. First you say we have the players that are underrated and then you say we won't win more than 7 games.... I on the other hand can see winning at least 10 games. Our D will surly help in this matter as well.

13 minutes ago, duffy said:

I like the Fitz signing, but I hope this doesn't eliminate our chances of acquiring Trace McSorely. 

Well, like the man said : Trace McSorely is the "Quarterback of the Future".

And the future isn't here, quite yet.

So rest easy. There's still time.

They're probably busy packaging the right combination of picks, and players like Jon Allen and Kendall Fuller.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Trace McSorely is a butt****ing piece of ****. Fear the beard!!

Young man, I highly recommend your studying up on this golden masterpiece of literature.

Then, maybe, you may graduate of from the University of McSorely.

Think of your future. Before you can commence and graduate into your future, you must know the QB of the Future.

• Like 1

I am not anti-Fitz at all, but being perfectly honest I am probably more happy with the contract terms themselves than I am with the signing.  Feels like they finally approached bringing in a vet QB the correct way.  1 year deal, sort of a "see what happens, what can we accomplish with this guy right now, while we search for the long term answer" however it was done in a way that doesn't break the bank and doesn't mortgage the future, no trade, no resources given up.

All in all it is a good signing.  

I was a bit pleasantly surprised when looking at one aspect of his stats.

I initially had this wild image in my mind about him, that he was reckless and took a lot of chances, and therefore I expected him to have a poor TD to INT ratio.

But it's actually been pretty good over the years. I think just one year in his whole career, did he have more INT's than TD's, and typically the margin between the 2 was quite nice.

And personally, that was my main concern with his performance. So with that issue settled, I feel much better about it.

At first I was meh. There is a reason this is his 7th team in 10 years, Bad Fitz is always lurking. But I was dead set against spending draft capital for washed out starters like Mariotta or Darnold. That would have been a terrible mistake.

But now I realize this was the best option.  No way were they going to land Wilson or Watson, the draft capital would have crippled the team.   I look at the QBs they have now replacing a knucklehead and a noodle arm and I'm pretty excited at the improvement.  Now they actually have a team people want to see, what a change in only 12 months.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tshile said:

I don’t think this is a bad signing. 

but it also doesn’t change how I feel about the team. 

it would be interesting to see the team have a competent healthy qb for a whole season 

No-no-no, Fits doesn't do expectations, that's his kryptonite! I wanna see Ron start him for a couple games and then tell him "Well, we need to see what Heinie has" and let him cool off a tad, even if only until halftime. Then Fitz comes back in, lights it up, gets pushed backed again, bounce his azz up n down so he is constantly in "On yeah??!?" mode looking to prove somethin. Everytime he gets a contract and people start talkin him up he ****s the bed and becomes Fitztragic, I say keep him guessin and keep him clenched. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fitz reminds me a little of Joe Theismann when we won the SB in 1983....Theisman would throw the ball around a lot, including to the wrong team, but he was gutty and got the most out of his teammates. If we can win a SB with an aging Joe Theismann we can win one with Fitzmagic given a strong supporting cast.

In Fitzpatrick’s bouncing around career, has he ever had an opportunity on a team with talent on either side of the ball?

Not saying Washington is loaded, but the defense is a LB away from being elite and the offense really just lacks (outside of QB) a #2WR, #2TE, and maybe a LT (along with O-Line depth) from being at least solid. 

Saying if he wasn’t asked to be Fitzmagic all the time, maybe he wouldn’t be Fitztragic some of the time. He’s a smart dude, that’s now seen a lot of football. Like the post above, I also was thinking about how Joey T did it for us later in his career. But, he was set up with a strong run game, playmakers, and a great defense built around the D-Line. 

3 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

In Fitzpatrick’s bouncing around career, has he ever had an opportunity on a team with talent on either side of the ball?

Not saying Washington is loaded, but the defense is a LB away from being elite and the offense really just lacks (outside of QB) a #2WR, #2TE, and maybe a LT (along with O-Line depth) from being at least solid. 

Saying if he wasn’t asked to be Fitzmagic all the time, maybe he wouldn’t be Fitztragic some of the time. He’s a smart dude, that’s now seen a lot of football. Like the post above, I also was thinking about how Joey T did it for us later in his career. But, he was set up with a strong run game, playmakers, and a great defense built around the D-Line. 

The Dolphins probably make the playoffs last year if they never sat Fitz for Tua.

• Like 1

Ryan Fitzpatrick for 1 yr $10M > Andy Dalton 1 yr $10M. 

I think Greeny goes overboard here - but this does make a good argument that makes us legit for a chance at the Div again in 2021, but more importantly to me it leaves the door open to get the long term solution if the opportunity presents itself. Ryan Clark is having none of it - lol. He is on the dallas bandwagon. 

Per Greeny Fitz over the last 3 yrs has a higher comp% than Brady, higher Y/A than R Wilson and a better QBR than D Watson. Individually those numbers probably do not mean much but collectively that's not a bad run. All are better than his previous years. 

Just to be clear, I do not see this as the way to a SB - only if we are supremely lucky along with making some other moves like getting a legit #1 opposite Terry, another TE< a solid LB and beef up the Oline. But Fitz will win a few games for us. He will also likely lose a few but on average I like this as a plan B until you find your guy. Much better than some of the other options - like Cam (thank goodness he signed elsewhere!!) or Dalton or even Trubisky although I could have lived with him at a similar type deal as Fitz. 

Here is the video - it's at least entertaining. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kleese said:

I am SUCH a fan of this signing. Mainly because it’s a very honest and transparent move for all parties. 

No one is force feeding Fitz as some sort of long term solution. No one saying we can now shelve the QB position beyond 2021. We know they took a legit shot at Stafford. I imagine they explored some other options that would have resulted in a more stable future at the position. But it didn’t come together. So rather than try and cram someone like Trubisky or Mariota or Darnold in there on the faint hope that there is still an elite player living in there, the team went with a known entity that has had recent success. He is also a ZERO risk in terms of team character, etc. 

No delusions here. Even for me, as a fan of this, I understand we haven’t “solved” anything. 

What we’ve done is brought in a HIGHLY competent and capable NFL starter while we continue to build the roster and culture. If the team is good around him, Fitz will NOT hold them back. Hold them back from the Super Bowl? Sure, maybe. But he won’t stunt development and in many cases he may very well help in that department— our young skill players are for sure going to get chances. No worries about our offense being check down city now. 

And he’s FUN. That never hurts. Fun, exciting, likable. I mean, that isn’t going to hurt anything. Super easy to root for no doubt. 

And yeah, there is 5-10% of me that wonders if maybe Fitz is the kind of guy that has been building a storybook ending. Maybe he will finally be on a roster that is legit good and has playoff hope AND one that hasn’t already committed a high pick sitting behind him. Maybe this will be his chance to really grab the reins of a team that can legit win. I mean if we can go 7-9 with our QB situation last year, I know we can be in that 9/10 win range with Fitz assuming rest of roster improves incrementally. 

To me, the hope here is that in 2021 the roster and culture really come together and Fitz helps keep things in order. Even if it’s clear we need to go next level at QB, he can hold fort down for a season. And then maybe in 2022 it becomes crystal clear what we need and we can dedicate all resources to getting it. 

I am fully on board with this. 

Kleese this morning:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The Dolphins probably make the playoffs last year if they never sat Fitz for Tua.

Miami went 6-3 in games Tua started and two of those losses were to Kansas City and Buffalo.  I don't think Tua was the problem.