Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

I have to listen to Cooley's take on Fitz from listening to Sheehan now.  From what Sheehan said, Cooley sees him as a major upgrade.  He said the QBs last year (especially Haskins) were mostly one read QBs and its easy for defenses to game plan against them.  Fitz goes through his progressions, multiple reads and also makes plays off script -- much harder to defend against.

He thinks he's a good fit for Heinicke as a mentor because they play with a similar style. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

Fitz is very much a huge upgrade. He is extremely smart and sees the whole field. He trusts his arm... so he does throw some picks... but that also results in some balls that QBs normally wouldn’t throw and a ton of passing yards and TDs. 

He’s not elite because he just doesn’t have the traits. But he’s well above the median due to his intelligence. He will elevate a roster to higher levels and get the most out of it. 

He’s actually awesome for Heinicke because they are similar. Heinicke is more mobile, Fitz probably has a better overall arm. Going to be interesting to see how that pans out.

• Like 7

He is definitely smart.  Scored very high on the Wonderlic test.  Alex Smith was very smart and I believe he had a photographic memory.   Fitz will know the plays inside out

and there will be no confusion in the huddle on the play call.   Riverboat Ron wants smart players if he can get them.  He does not want to hand hold players.  He has no 

patience for players jumping off sides, etc. etc.  By setting a higher standard of performance it sets the tone prior to the season starting.   We must have had fewer penalties 

overall last year compared to other seasons.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Fitz is very much a huge upgrade. He is extremely smart and sees the whole field. He trusts his arm... so he does throw some picks... but that also results in some balls that QBs normally wouldn’t throw and a ton of passing yards and TDs. 

He’s not elite because he just doesn’t have the traits. But he’s well above the median due to his intelligence. He will elevate a roster to higher levels and get the most out of it. 

He’s actually awesome for Heinicke because they are similar. Heinicke is more mobile, Fitz probably has a better overall arm. Going to be interesting to see how that pans out.

Agree.  And I'd add Fitz for an old dude while isn't as mobile as Heinicke - he can surprise on that front.  I recall watching him live in one against us in Tampa and whining to my kids about why can't our defense pin this dude down when he escapes in the pocket.  He was surprisingly slippery.   He's rushed for over 200 yards a bunch of times in his career, even hitting 300 once.   He's not fast but oddly slippery.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/wonderlic-scores-nfl-highest-lowest-combine-history/e60oggcptcx616ly9p96bmt7q

Highest Wonderlic scores in NFL history

50 — Pat McInally (punter)

The only known player to get a perfect score on the Wonderlic test came from Harvard and played primarily on special teams (though he was used occasionally as a wide receiver and hauled in five TDs throughout his career). Go figure. McInally was chosen in the fifth round of the 1975 NFL Draft by the Bengals and appeared in one Pro Bowl and one Super Bowl. He also completed 3 of 4 career passes for 81 yards. Consider him an Ivy League Taysom Hill.

49 — Mike Mamula (defensive end)

Mamula's tale is a cautionary one for NFL GMs. The Eagles were so impressed by his Wonderlic scores and his combine performance they traded up to select him seventh overall, ahead of Hall of Famers Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks. Mamula played six seasons and never made a Pro Bowl.

48 — Kevin Curtis (wide receiver)

Curtis posted the highest recorded Wonderlic score by a wide receiver in NFL history and was selected in the third round in 2003 by the Rams. He played eight seasons, compiling 253 catches for 3,297 yards and 20 touchdowns.

48 — Ryan Fitzpatrick (quarterback)

It's no surprise that Fitzpatrick, another Harvard product, wound up on this list. He's certainly seen some highs and lows throughout his career, playing for eight different teams since being drafted by the Rams in 2005. But 15 seasons later, "Fitz Magic" is still going strong.

48 — Ben Watson (tight end)

Watson posted the highest Wonderlic score for a tight end back in 2004, catching enough interest for the Patriots to select him with the 32nd pick in the first round. Watson won a ring his rookie year in Super Bowl XXXIX, though he only played one game before getting injured and missing the rest of the season. He won the Bart Star in 2018 with the Ravens and has played 16 seasons in the NFL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I like Fitz a lot but do you guys think we should have went got Dalton instead?

So you rather have a party with a redhead doll being a mime then a magician showing all sorts of tricks? Your age is showing how fun you are at parties...lol

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He thinks he's a good fit for Heinicke as a mentor because they play with a similar style. 

You're right. So the first part of your post could easily have read...

"From what Sheehan said, Cooley sees Heinicke as a major upgrade.  He said the QBs last year (especially Haskins) were mostly one read QBs and its easy for defenses to game plan against them. Heinicke goes through his progressions, multiple reads and also makes plays off script -- much harder to defend against."

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You're right. So the first part of your post could easily have read...

"From what Sheehan said, Cooley sees Heinicke as a major upgrade.  He said the QBs last year (especially Haskins) were mostly one read QBs and its easy for defenses to game plan against them. Heinicke goes through his progressions, multiple reads and also makes plays off script -- much harder to defend against."

Heinicke played one half of one regular game last year  I am repeating what Cooley said and that was during the season.  I doubt he considered Heinicke as even part of that mix in that point.  Sample size super small.

I am listening to his actual rap right now.  Thus far he's very sold on Fitzpatrick.  He thinks he's slam dunk going to be the starter and should be without competition. He's saying he's a good QB.    He thinks they still might go QB in the draft.  But could see Fitzpatrick starting next season too.

• Like 3

If there was one free agent QB to sign for this team Fitzgerald is perfect fit.  Getting Samuel is really nice addition.  He’s still only 24 years old.  His best years are ahead of him.  Getting Williams to replace Darby is big upgrade & icing on the cake for the secondary.  Now with 4 picks in first 3 rounds of the draft really a chance to upgrade OL/LB/S/TE

Dope.

• Like 2

Also, we've recently crossed a major threshold.

If there was any question before, whether major FA's would want to sign here, there's no question on that anymore.

We've acquired enough talent and the right talent, to be an attractive option for almost any free agent.

And now, it's even begun to start like dominoes falling, or the floodgates opening, where each top FA that signs here, makes us even a more attractive option

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have to listen to Cooley's take on Fitz from listening to Sheehan now.  From what Sheehan said, Cooley sees him as a major upgrade.  He said the QBs last year (especially Haskins) were mostly one read QBs and its easy for defenses to game plan against them.  Fitz goes through his progressions, multiple reads and also makes plays off script -- much harder to defend against.

I like the Fitz signing a lot but I don't put a lot into the things that Cooley says. He said this last year about Logan Thomas. Chris Cooley says TE Logan Thomas is 'average,' not a starter.

I just love this guy. Fun. Uber-intelligent. Plain likeable. Has gotten better with age, just as a fine wine. As I've aged (over 60), to be honest, I simply want to ENJOY our games. I want to have fun. I desperately want another title before my ultimate demise, and really, finally, love the approach we are taking. Do not underestimate the profound change having real football people running the show means. It may be the biggest differentiation from our past in reality. Anyway, we are going to incrementally improve constantly now, as long as Dan doesn't **** it up.  Back to the original thought of Fitzgerald; just love his go for it attitude, resilience, intelligence and intestinal fortitude. Our youngsters can learn much from him. Such a wonderful mix of ingredients we are assembling. I really like it; a true WFTeam.

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 4

ASHBURN, VA. -- Washington Football Team quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick -- at age 38 and after eight different teams -- wanted to keep playing for one simple reason: He feels he's playing better than ever.

He also experienced something unusual this offseason.

He was in demand.

It may not have been the sort of bidding that surrounded Tom Brady last offseason, but for Fitzpatrick having more than three teams vying for him was different. He officially signed his one-year deal with Washington on Thursday. The contract is worth $10 million, but he can earn another $2 million in incentives. He'll be its starting quarterback after spending the last two years in Miami.

"I have a lot of great football ahead of me, which sounds crazy," he said. "After last season I was sitting with my wife and saying, 'I think I'm playing better than I ever have and I still love playing this game.' She looked at me and said, 'You'd be crazy to not keep playing.'"

Fitzpatrick will become Washington's eighth starting quarterback since the beginning of the 2019 season. He declined to say which other teams pursued him, adding only that it was more than three.

"I was just talking to my dad about it the other day, it was interesting that in year 17, this was the most sought-after I have been in my whole career," Fitzpatrick said.

All he wanted, he said, was a chance to start-- which Washington provides. He also said it came down to the "general direction of the team." Washington is coming off a 7-9 season in which it won the NFC East. With a top defensive line and young roster -- plus the addition of free agent receiver Curtis Samuel -- the organization believes it will build on 2020.

In the last three seasons, covering 32 games, Fitzpatrick has thrown a combined 50 touchdown passes to 33 interceptions. In Miami the past two seasons, covering 24 games and 20 starts, he threw 33 touchdowns and 21 picks. In the last two years combined, Fitzpatrick ranks seventh with a total QBR of 71.5.

But with the Dolphins having drafted Tua Tagovailoa fifth overall last spring, Fitzpatrick's stint in Miami was yet another short one. His longest tenure with one team is four years (Buffalo). Washington represents his sixth team since 2013.

Considering he'll turn 39 in November, his time in Washington probably won't be long either. There's still a good chance Washington will draft a quarterback later this spring, one source told ESPN, allowing Fitzpatrick to again be in the mentorship role.

In Washington, he'll be reunited with quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, who coached him for two years in Cincinnati -- in 2007 and '08.

"Part of my story is skipping around to different teams and trying to instill belief and just show that passion," he said. "In Miami, it was getting guys that maybe didn't believe in themselves before to believe. Every time I go to a new place it's a new opportunity, a new adventure, a new journey for me and I get to reinvent myself and I have to prove myself and earn the respect of guys."

But Fitzpatrick is well aware of why others enjoy playing with him, especially receivers. It's why he's thrown 223 career touchdown passes -- but also 169 interceptions.

"I'm going to give my guys chances," he said. "I'm not a guy that will sit there and be afraid to throw the ball down the field. I'll try to make the right plays but if I have a chance and I've got my guy one-on-one, I'll give them a chance. Guys like playing with me because of that. Playing with that absence of fear goes a long way. That style of play at quarterback is going away a little bit."

But Fitzpatrick hasn't gone away. He said he takes pride in now being with his ninth organization and joked that "every game is a revenge game" for him. He said he and his wife sell it to their seven kids as a new adventure whenever they have to move again.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31088860/washington-football-team-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-says-playing-best-football

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I like the Fitz signing a lot but I don't put a lot into the things that Cooley says. He said this last year about Logan Thomas. Chris Cooley says TE Logan Thomas is 'average,' not a starter.

To be honest he WAS at best average prior to last year. That’s why there was limited demand for him and we got him so cheap. He was a gamble that paid off big time.

Extreme Kudos to our TE coach and Logan for working hard and blossoming under his tutelage. 

Cooley and the rest of the league evaluated the acorn but last year it grew into an oak tree.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 2