Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

So basically we trade in an expensive contact hitter with a bad leg for a cheaper home run hitter who strikes out a lot.

If nothing else it'll be more fun to watch. 

Personally I like the move, we get to punt the need for a franchise quarterback one year while still searching places like the draft, if we're luck enough to have one fall or heinicke, if we're lucky enough to find gold in the dumpster while also not desperately overpaying or trying to play out next season without any viable starting quarterbacks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

This thread name needs work:

Oh, Oh, it’s Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww - Welcome to WFT, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Though  the more direct route for a thread title makes sense :ols:

Title was so bad I was SURE you did it lol 

Edit: Oh ****, it was you...Never change man. Lmao I dont care what the internet says about you! 

Edited by Llevron
  • Haha 3

Whoa, I just heard he scored a Perfect score on the Wunderlic.

That actually took me by surprise.

I always thought of him being more gutsy than brainy.

I'm actually surprised, that with that excellent combination of brains and guts, that he isn't actually better than he is.

Perhaps he's TOO gutsy in the high risks he takes, and that could be what gets in the way of his brainy Wunderlic decisions. :)

Thus explaining his up and down rollercoaster performance and career.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

45 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Title was so awesome I was SURE you did it lol 

Edit: Oh ****, it was you...Never change man. Lmao I dont care what the internet says about you! 

You misspelled “awesome”. I fixed it for you. No charge for my time.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Whoa, I just heard he scored a Perfect score on the Wunderlic.

That actually took me by surprise.

I always thought of him being more gutsy than brainy.

I'm actually surprised, that with that excellent combination of brains and guts, that he isn't actually better than he is.

Perhaps he's TOO gutsy in the high risks he takes, and that could be what gets in the way of his brainy Wunderlic decisions. :)

Thus explaining his up and down rollercoaster performance and career.

I remember him from 2005 when he was a rookie with the Rams and ALL I heard was that he was smart (Ivy League). That's really all he has going for him in my opinion. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Even from CowboyZone.

You guys will love these posts...

:laugh: at everyone standing on the ledge because WFT signed Fitzpatrick

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/fitzpatrick-signs-with-washington.474780/

I was kinda "meh" about this, but seeing the cowturds fan's reactions has got me more excited than anything.

• Haha 1

At first I was meh, at least it didn't involve trading draft capital for a former failed starter. But now I'm fine with this move as they retained their picks and will have a chance to build the roster.  But it sure would have been nice not to delay the move to get the long term answer before all these contracts expire.  

• Like 1

For a team which is supposed to be built on the quarterback who manages the game and lets the defense and running game carry the team to wins, I'm confused how a gunslinger (with an abysmal record as a starter) is somehow supposed to instill confidence for next year.  This has the potential to be the 2011 season all over again.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

This thread name needs work:

Oh, Oh, it’s Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww - Welcome to WFT, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Though  the more direct route for a thread title makes sense :ols:

Still needs a little work.

Drop the its and replace it with an extra "oh" and it'll be just right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

At first I was meh, at least it didn't involve trading draft capital for a former failed starter. But now I'm fine with this move as they retained their picks and will have a chance to build the roster.  But it sure would have been nice not to delay the move to get the long term answer before all these contracts expire.  

And this doesn't necessarily stop them from making a move in the draft for a QB.  Or maybe they have an eye on a 3rd round type with potential to develop - like Dallas did with Dak (who was actually a 4th rounder).    

• Like 1

• zCommander changed the title to WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

Few wide receivers have been dealt a tougher hand than Terry McLaurin during his first two seasons in the league, but that could all change thanks to the free-agency acquisition of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The veteran signal-caller agreed to terms with the Washington Football Team on a one-year deal worth $10 million, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Monday. He will enter training camp as the presumptive Week 1 starter, with competition from Taylor Heinicke and Kyle Allen.

McLaurin hasn’t had anything approaching plus quarterback play during his time in D.C.  So far, the budding star has dealt with a combination of Case Keenum, Dwayne Haskins and Alex Smith under center (save for cameos from Colt McCoy, Allen and Heinicke). Over McLaurin’s career, that group has combined for an overall PFF grade of 62.4, 29th in the league. They are even lower in terms of expected points added (EPA) per play (30th), and the group is actually being dragged up by the performances from Smith and Heinicke late last season.

Bad quarterback play is never a good thing for a young wide receiver, but McLaurin has been hamstrung not just by the quality of the players throwing him the football but also by their style of play.

Smith has long been one of the league's most pathologically conservative passers, and that tendency was even more pronounced when he came back from injury in 2020. His 5.4-yard average depth of target was the lowest in the league by over a full yard, and Allen (6.4), Keenum (6.7) and

McCoy (7.3) weren’t much better during their appearances in the starting role. Haskins made it up to 7.9 yards on average, which would have ranked 29th out of 41 qualifying quarterbacks in 2020.

The entire quarterback room has combined for just 38 big-time throws over McLaurin's two seasons in Washington. The top five quarterbacks in the league had more big-time throws than that in 2020 alone — and that doesn't even include the ones they added in the playoffs.

Ryan Fitzpatrick vs. Past Washington Football Team QBs: PFF grade and rank since 2019 (among QBs with 250 or more dropbacks)

QB PFF Grade Rank
Ryan Fitzpatrick 76.0 18th of 44
Alex Smith 66.9 29th of 44
Dwayne Haskins 56.6 41st of 44
Kyle Allen 53.4 43rd of 44
Case Keenum 54.9 42nd of 44

DeVante Parker had been underachieving in Miami until Fitzpatrick entered the lineup in 2019. Then he had a breakout season in which he ranked fourth in the league in receiving yards while finishing with nine touchdowns. Both Parker (8th) and fellow Miami receiver Preston

Williams (3rd) ranked in the top 10 in terms of contested-target percentage, showing Fitzpatrick's willingness to let them go up and make plays.

Not only does Fitzpatrick know that those 50-50 shots are an inevitable part of the game, but he also embraces it. Last season, after he had been benched for Tua Tagovailoa and then put back into the game after Tua had struggled, he was caught on camera coaching the young rookie up on the sideline and explaining that sometimes quarterbacks have to throw a contested ball. His logic was simple: sometimes quarterbacks aren't going to have all day to get through a progression to find somebody who is as open as they would like them to be.

This is certainly true generally in the NFL, but Fitzpatrick has probably always been more unhesitant to pull that trigger than other passers. It's not always great for his stats or even the team, but it will certainly give a boost to a wide receiver’s best friend — opportunity.

McLaurin has seen 219 targets since he came into the league, 21st among all receivers over that time, but he has been almost the only viable target in Washington. He trails Allen Robinson II, who can make a similar claim, by more than 80 targets.

Fitzpatrick coming on board should generate a rapid increase in McLaurin’s target volume. And it will only get higher if Fitzpatrick can provide enough of an upgrade at quarterback to allow the team to sustain some more drives and be more efficient on offense.

Fitzpatrick has been quietly playing the best football of his career over the last three years, yet he is only ever seen as a bridge to a new young quarterback. He ranks 15th among 42 qualifying passers in PFF passing grade over those three seasons, making him a slightly above-average passer in any given season.

• Like 2

Just watched the 2nd national NFL show that said WFT will be must see TV because of Fitz in combination with this defense.  

That should be a fun change.  A couple of years ago we were a punchline on GMF when they talked about teams that no one cares about as for a national audience.

Heck we can't even get a MNF game anymore after being out of SNF for a couple of years in a row.  

I think that's about to change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched the 2nd national NFL show that said WFT will be must see TV because of Fitz in combination with this defense.  

That should be a fun change.  A couple of years ago we were a punchline on GMF when they talked about teams that no one cares about as for a national audience.

Heck we can't even get a MNF game anymore after being out of SNF for a couple of years in a row.  

I think that's about to change. 

But it does take some degree of assumption to act as if Fitzpatrick will be the starting QB for a very long duration, let alone a whole season.

And in fact, if you think about it, and honest about it ; Taylor Heinicke has quite a bit of Fitz in him.

He's like a Mini-Fitz

• Haha 1